PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help building a not too OPed Ur Priest

GrayDeath
2019-09-01, 06:50 AM
Hello Playground!

After weeks of weather so hot you could hardly do any computer ... whatever, and 4 weeks of lots of work I was still invited to a hort game (will likely last 4-5 sessions, with a Levelup every second Session).

Now, while the DM said all things but Characters devoted to Gods are fine (and I used that for choosing Ur Priest), I dont want to make a too outrageous CHaracter.

Starting Level will be 13, we are allowed up to 3 Classes to use, Races are standard, Pointbuy is 35pts.
I know one of the other Players and he always, always plays EWlves with at least partially martial Bend. 2 more players of whom I know nothing but the fact they know 3.5.

How would you do a Build that takes good advantage of th Ur Priest, is not too much, but still fun?

Open for SUggestions until enxt weekend.

Thanks in advance, especially for full builds :)

Trandir
2019-09-01, 07:07 AM
Well what books are allowed? And there are any other particular house rules?

Silvercrys
2019-09-01, 08:20 AM
Well, the main way would be interleaving it with another class and/or not taking the first level until level 11.

The main reason it's so good is because it gives you 9th level Cleric spells over only ten class levels, but if you delay progressing it a bit so that you get spells as fast as a cleric "normally" would it isn't really a problem.

One of my favorite Ur-Priest builds is Warlock/Binder/Ur-Priest/Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple... but if your table isn't high op something like Warlock 9/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 2 (/Eldritch Disciple +7) is perfectly serviceable.

You'll need your DM's permission to mix Ur-Priest and Eldritch Disciple either way, though. The adaptation section of Ur-Priest says you can also be a member of a cabal who worships a dead divinity and is trying to restore it to power, which could skate around the Eldritch Disciple requirement, but it might be too close to deity worship for your DM.

You could also just play a Warlock 9/Ur-Priest 4 and finish with Ur-Priest. You start with 4th level spells and don't get 9s until level 18, and your Eldritch Blast and Warlock Invocations don't keep up much, but it definitely fits the bill as "something not broken with Ur-Priest".

Although I've been at tables where the Hellfire Warlock build needed Eldritch Disciple to progress Hellfire Blast to keep up with uberchargers, and other tables where the DM was pulling his hair out trying to handle like, Warlock 6 because he had no idea how to deal with at-will Invocations and ended up banning the class. Do you know what the other players are building?

GrayDeath
2019-09-01, 10:10 AM
Well what books are allowed? And there are any other particular house rules?

THere were no additional House Rules mentioned, and as long as it is in the SRD expect it to be "in", with additionally (as I ahve the books on hand): The Complete Series, Draconomicon and Eberron Setting/COre Book.

The Setting itself btw will be a bit limited to access, hence only "normal Races (no pure Undead or Machines or Fey etc, and no LA beyond 1) are allowed.

THats all I know so far.

@ Sylvercris: I know what makes it good, yes. Thats the reason I want to paly it (added to the Dont follow Deities setup^^).
But I dont see the point in playing a gimped Cleric either, so I intend to take at least 7 Levels of Ur Priest at Game Start, mabye the full possible 8.

On TOP of that however I dont intend to go "all out":

COuld have probably explained that better in the OP. ;)

THanks for all your Feedback!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-09-01, 11:19 AM
Duskblade 5/ Ur-Priest 2/ Divine Oracle 6+. You'll need Apprentice (criminal) to get the skill prerequisites, but you can get two of your prerequisite feats from the Otyugh Hole and the Frog God's Fane. Your Duskblade spells should be utility, especially spells you can't get from Ur-Priest.

Bphill561
2019-09-01, 11:32 AM
I guess it depends on what part of the Ur-Priest you are worried will upset the group. You are already limited to 3 classes, so the Ur-Chord and other crazy builds are out anyway. Along those lines, if you multi-class before going into Ur-Priest they should be classes you want to advance after Ur-Priest is completed.

I would think the easiest build would be to actually take all 10 levels of Ur-priest so that you cannot be blamed for gaming the fast caster progression. I would also take them as soon as possible since your projected final level is in the 15-16 range. In this fashion you are an all out Ur-Priest, but not Ur-Priest+ craziness. If the DM does not like you getting 9th level spells, let him/her tell you that and adjust from there. The real question is if you think Persistent Divine Metamagic will be a problem, because it is hard to pass up if it is an option.

Assuming you go Ur-Priest 10 eventually:

I pretty standard start would be Bard 5/ Ur-Priest 10

Following options...

Dragon Disciple 4/Bard 1: Not high powered, but will net you +1 caster level, 3 bonus 9th level spell slots, and dragon stuff like +4 strength. Plus who would call dragon disciple as a overpowered class, but it works with Ur-Priest.

Bard 1/ Mystic Theurge 4: Mostly for more Ur-Priest caster level (+5), the bard casting at this point is not as useful.

Bard 5: Skill monk with +3 caster level on Ur-priest. Better than the MT class above, plus leaves room for additional multiclassing.

Overall I would not sweat the post level 15 levels much since you don't plan on going much past that.

If 9th level spells are a problem, maybe take something like Hospitaler with nice Full BAB progression. Your 9th level spell access would come on line at level 17.

Bard 5/Ur-Priest 4/Hospitaler 10/Bard 1.

I stuck to complete divine and DMG as far as books go to limit sources.

Silvercrys
2019-09-01, 12:24 PM
Ah, well, if you're actually after the fast tracked spellcasting, your options are a bit more limited because of your 3 class limit.

Just getting into Ur-Priest is relatively easy, but having something to do when you finish it is a bit more difficult due to that. Warlock 4/Good Fort Save Class 1 manages entry pretty handily but after you finish Ur-Priest at level 15 you'll have to go back to leveling one of your base classes and that feels pretty bad even if you already have ultimate cosmic power -- taking your actual 5th Warlock level at ECL 16 after not progressing Invocations for ten levels is... something I would try to avoid, personally.

Human (or with flaws) Monk 6 can manage entry alone with the [Keeper of Forbidden Lore] feat from Fiendish Codex I to get K(The Planes) and Spellcraft as class skills, and the [Apprentice (Criminal)] feat from the DMG II to get Bluff as one. You spend all of your feats other than Monk bonus feats on qualifying for Ur-Priest, though.

On the plus side you qualify for Sacred Fist if you want to, final build being Monk 6/Ur-Priest 2/Sacred Fist 10/Monk +2. And you get an apprentice cohort when Apprentice switches to Mentor.

If you're married to having the Ur-Priest class features, it's a 3/4 base attack class so you don't lose much by just doing Monk 6/Ur-Priest 10/Monk +4, really. If you grab a Monk's Belt you get AC and Unarmed Damage as a Level 15 Monk on top of your Ur-Priest class features and spellcasting.

Could flavor it like Monk Anji from Rurouni Kenshin, a monk who hates the gods because they didn't save his temple from burning down during a period of religious persecution so he turned his back to the world and sought refuge in the underworld, etc.

Binder (from Tome of Magic) 5 is probably the easiest single-classed non-caster entry, though you still need [Keeper of Forbidden Lore] to get Spellcraft.

There's a (pretty bad, being honest) Binder/Divine theruge called the Tenebrous Apostate that might be of interest here; you lose 1 caster level of Divine spells, but it's only 5 levels long so you can do Binder 5/Ur-Priest 2/Tenebrous Apostate 5/Ur-Priest +1 to start play and then take 3 more levels of Ur-Priest and finish with regular Binder (Final build Binder 9/Ur-Priest 6/Tenebrous Apostate 5).

pabelfly
2019-09-01, 05:18 PM
Pick spells that buff or debuff or heal and use them on the rest of the party. Get Persistent Spell to make the buffs go all day. You help others out and make them stronger and they won't notice that your character is OP.