PDA

View Full Version : A spell for spellcasting Generals

Yehomer
2007-10-13, 09:33 AM
I wrote this spell for my character, she is a sorcereress and the supreme general of her nation's army. The effect is indeed very strong, but it relies on a character being in command of so many soldiers, which rarely happens.

General's terrifying force
Illusion (figment)
Level: Sor\ wis 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 1 mile
Effect: Illusionary millitary force
Duration: 1 hour\ level
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: No

Spellcasting generals can use this spell to make their armies look mightier than they are or to make enemies believe they are attacked from unexpected fronts. This spell will not work unless the caster has at least 5,000 soldiers who consider him their supreme commander. In either version, the spell can't create more than 20,000 soldiers.

The spell can be cast in two versions:

1. Massive army: The caster's army appears to be three times larger than it is. The illusionary soldiers appear where the caster designates, but can not detach themselves from the bulk of the army. The illusionary soldiers can't fight, and disappear if attacked.
A wise caster would locate a few real units between the illusionary units. That way, the enemy thinks he's shreding through illusions, only to suddenly discover real resistence.

2. Tactical manuever: The caster can duplicate up to one quarter of his force. This small force can detach from the main force and provide diversion, such as an attack from an unexpected direction.

Abjurer
2007-10-13, 12:17 PM
The first time, you said the caster need five thousand soldiers. Then you said a hundred thousand. Which one is it?

Yehomer
2007-10-13, 12:45 PM
Corrected. It's 5,000.

DracoDei
2007-10-21, 03:29 AM
I would remove the word "supreme" before "Commander" to allow field generals of huge empires which might have 500,000 troops total to cast it although they might "only" have 10,000 of those under their control and be answerable to a further chain of military command.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-21, 03:21 PM
Very nice spell for those rare (or not so rare, depending on your DM) mass battles; may I suggest a stronger version?

General's Horrifying Force
Sor/Wiz 7 (8?)
Same qualifiers as the other

Works as General's Terrifying Force, but requires ~10,000 troops instead. (Or leave at 5,000)

Creates up to 80,000 troops

Massive Army: x4 times size. Still can't fight.

Tactical Maneuver: Same as before, but can create illusionary up to half force for the maneuver.

I don't play in many large-scale battle campaigns, but General's Terrifying Force looks like a spell one really should have before commanding troops; after all, most of an army's force is there for intimidation value, rather than combat.