PDA

View Full Version : shadow sorcerer - hound of ill omen

Chrizzt
2019-09-01, 07:49 AM
Yesterday I achieved lvl 6 with my sorcerer, and got the ability to summon hounds.

A situation occured where I was invisible and called the hounds. We understood that this does not break invisibility, but it felt somewhat cheesy for me, because I hunted thus the already fleeing endboss of the adventure down, who thought himseldöf safe after dimension dooring away.

Is it correct that summoning the hound lets me stay invisible?

Thanks for your thoughts!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-01, 07:55 AM
Did you attack? No.

Did you cast a spell? No.

You are still invisible if you used the spell.
If you have other source of invisibility you need to check the other source.

Contrast
2019-09-01, 08:08 AM
A situation occured where I was invisible and called the hounds. We understood that this does not break invisibility, but it felt somewhat cheesy for me, because I hunted thus the already fleeing endboss of the adventure down, who thought himseldöf safe after dimension dooring away.

Note that the hound has a move speed of 50ft and can't use its action to dash. All other things being equal, anyone with a move speed of 30ft should just be able to Dash away from it.

I'm not clear based on what you said but for reference you also need line of sight and they need to be within 120ft for you to activate it (not sure if they'd already fled with Dimension Door or not when it was activated).

If you're saying it seems good - this is really your main subclass ability. Enjoy it :smallbiggrin:

Chrizzt
2019-09-01, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the replies.

@BloodSnakesCha:
Ok, so by RAW we made no mistake. Thanks!

@Contrast: The hound was already sicked on the mage before he dimension doored away. The mage made the mistake, however, of stopping outside, feeling himself safe.. And thanks for the clarification concerning dashing. Is there something in the rules preventing you from dashing for 5 minutes? Because the hound is on your heels for that amount of time.
And you are right. I think that is the main best thing the subclass offers. Though the darkness-by-sorcery-points-which-you-can-see-through turned out to be my most important line of defense, at least at level 6.