PDA

View Full Version : Player Help a new Player asked for help for his character....

GrayDeath
2019-09-01, 10:32 AM
...and once again I am sub-contracting the deed to the playground. ^^

More precicely, for an upcoming game one of the new palyers (knows D&D 3.5 froma ges ago, doesnt have the time to totally dive back into it) wants help tod etermine his Characters alignment.

WHile I have a pretty good idea what it is, as usual for questions like this I am holding a poll.

Background: The Character comes from a small local immigrant community of half elves (they breed true in the setting, and are very much less fertile with Elves or Humans) who are almost but not quite part of the State they live in since they immigrated around 30 years ago.
He grew up as son of a local Stone Artist (Statues, Buildings,e tc), welle ducated and not poor, but not well off either, until his father was killed in a widespread epedemic.
he was adopted by a local...lets call him Triad Boss, whose son was his friend and also died in the epidemic, and educated in the 3 pillars of their philospphie: Obedience, Honor, Mercilessness.

Fast forward to around the time the game starts: he is now leading one of the 2 local Large Triad Factions.
His areas are weapon trading, Protection Money and smugling of forbidden but mudnane Goods.

He is ruthless, demands total obedience and values it in his minions very highly (he paid an extremely expensive magical prosthetic when a curse meant for his adoptive son was stopped nby one of his henchmen for example), and is only ever cruel when he has to be to keep his position secure.
Serving the Organization and ones superiors is VERY well rewarded in general.

he has adopted 2 orphans (following his adoptive fathers steps in that) and educates them very well, taking care NOT to induct them into the same life he is forced to lead (if aiming them more towards protecting their minority and honor than not), and keeps the lives of many of his minorities members bearable by building new houses, renovating, and actually protecting them (his Protection Moeny scheme is more of an insurance that is mandatory ^^) yet on the other hand he is a criminal Warlord of his territory, who kills, extorts and threatens if necessary.

In the last few years he has become a bit less eager to use violence unless he deems it necessary, yet it is still one of his main methods.

Should his sons see the full truth about his life (they know he is a big man in the triad, but thats it) he will likely be both ashamaed and forced to make them members to protect them and himself. ANd hate himself for it.

Thanks in advance!

Silvercrys
2019-09-01, 10:46 AM
Sounds like Lawful Evil to me, one of those "the ends justify the means" types who tries to do good works but will go to any lengths to achieve his goals. Depending on how "cruel", cruel is, I could see an argument for Lawful Neutral, but if he's torturing people to keep in the organization's good graces (or for any other reason, really) he's definitely Evil in my mind. You don't have to derive pleasure from kicking innocent puppies to be capital E Evil.

Rhyltran
2019-09-02, 01:03 AM
Sounds like Lawful Evil to me, one of those "the ends justify the means" types who tries to do good works but will go to any lengths to achieve his goals. Depending on how "cruel", cruel is, I could see an argument for Lawful Neutral, but if he's torturing people to keep in the organization's good graces (or for any other reason, really) he's definitely Evil in my mind. You don't have to derive pleasure from kicking innocent puppies to be capital E Evil.

This. Also as the book of vile darkness points out an evil person can be a faithful spouse, a loving father, or a trustworthy friend. The fact is this guy is okay with extortion, violence, torture, and murder. Definitely Lawful Evil to me.

zlefin
2019-09-02, 10:50 AM
seems pretty textbook lawful evil to me.

Uncle Pine
2019-09-02, 03:03 PM
Lawful Evil of the Executive variety. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil)

OGDojo
2019-09-02, 06:31 PM
sounds to me like you got your answer lol but just in case

LAWFUL EVIL