PDA

View Full Version : How does a level 2 group find a ghost?

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-01, 10:54 AM
Simple question, if my players suspect a ghost, is there anyway to confirm its presence, or compelling it to become visible?

firelistener
2019-09-01, 11:06 AM
Ghosts are visible whenever they're in the "Border Ethereal", which is basically the part of the Ethereal Plane nearest the Material Plane, and they can't interact with the Material Plane physically unless they're actually in it. All your party would need to do is draw it out somehow and they should be able to see it with their eyes. Beyond that, I don't think there's any real True Sight or whatever a party that low could do. They won't even have subclass features at level 2.

Lunali
2019-09-01, 11:51 AM
From the side of the DM, let the players come up with an idea and let it work. From the side of a player, come up with something somewhat plausible and convince your DM to go along with it.

Sigreid
2019-09-01, 12:43 PM
A second level paladin can sense one with divine sense.

Armok
2019-09-01, 12:52 PM
Sounds like you're going to need... an in-spectre. :smallcool:

zinycor
2019-09-01, 12:54 PM
Go look for an NPC to help you?

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-01, 01:29 PM
From the side of the DM, let the players come up with an idea and let it work.

Go look for an NPC to help you?

This is exactly what I had in mind, just needed to be sure I wasn't losing an opportunity to showcase an interesting spell or potion. Always fun when you can use things the players can them carry with them to other games. Thanks for the help guys.

Reevh
2019-09-03, 04:09 PM
You might be able to hear the ghost, or possibly see ectoplasm left by it as it passes through an object, allowing you to guess its location.

JellyPooga
2019-09-03, 04:29 PM
Ouija board?

stoutstien
2019-09-03, 04:34 PM
This is exactly what I had in mind, just needed to be sure I wasn't losing an opportunity to showcase an interesting spell or potion. Always fun when you can use things the players can them carry with them to other games. Thanks for the help guys.

Detect good and evil. Doesn't actually does what it says but can be used to find undead like radar. Ritual with 10 minute duration.

Cheesegear
2019-09-03, 04:43 PM
Cleric 1: Detect Evil and Good
Paladin 2: Detect Evil and Good and Divine Sense

A Ranger might have advantage to track Undead, and should be able to find traces of ectoplasm.

That being said, any Survival (Tracking) check, or a Knowledge check of your choice (e.g; Arcana, Religion, etc.) should be able to confirm the presence of a ghost if your party doesn't have access to Level 1 magic. :smallconfused:

As far as forcing the ghost to reveal itself; The best way is to simply start messing with whatever it's tied to (e.g; location, creature or object). Or, if you're going with the more classical approach to ghosts, you can always find out what its 'unfinished business' is, and then tell the spot where you think the ghost is, how you can solve it. Hell, you can even offer someone up for Possession if you want. :smallwink:

That said; As DM, remember that Ghosts can possess people. It has a number of uses.

Greywander
2019-09-03, 05:10 PM
As others have said, Detect Evil and Good, and the paladin's Divine Senses. Once you suspect a ghost, I believe you can use Turn Undead to force it out of a person. Protection from Evil and Good is also helpful in preventing possession, I believe.

Capac Amaru
2019-09-03, 10:52 PM
Ghosts have unfinished business.

Unfinished business leaves clues.

"We know you're here Anna, we found the letters. We want to help you pass on! Please show yourself to us!"