PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Drow Bladelock

adb82
2019-09-01, 11:46 AM
well, starting from the point that i never played a bladelock i get some info reading the forum and i came out with some idea. Of course i know there r better races than drow for this, but i think armor of aghatys, hex and some patron fiend gift match so well with drow personality.

we ll start lv5 and wew gonna use the PHB and maybe (the dm is deciding about it) SCAG (in wich case ill probably go for half drow)

1 lv fighter (im not sure if add a 2 lv for action surge and than at higheter level even 3 for the battle master manouvers), x lv warlock
Fiend patron, pact of blade, defensive fighting style (+1 AC) (or GWF?), helbard
eldricht strike, armor of aghatys, shield, mirror image, hex, fireball, fire shield, devil sight, invisibility what else?

feats: 4 Polearm master, 8 Sentinel (or +2 STR?), 12 +2 CHA

invocations: thirsting blade, repelling blast, lifedrinker

or

1 lv fighter (or 3) x lv warlock
Fiend patron, pact of blade, dueling fighting style, quorterstaff and shield
eldricht strike, armor of aghatys, shield, mirror image, hex, fireball, fire shield, devil sight, invisibility what else?

feats: 4 war caster 8 Polearm master 12 +2 CHA (this is probably too slow for a drow isnt it?)

I also think something more armor of aghatys based lol

1 lv fighter (or 3) x lv warlock
Fiend patron, pact of blade, GWF, Great Sword
eldricht strike, armor of aghatys, shield, mirror image, hex, fireball, fire shield, invisibility, devil sight, anyhing that gives me damage resistence like blade ward and protection from /evil/good, hellish rebuke what else?

feats: 4 Heavy armor master 8 Martial adept (Parry as manouver and i dont know the second one) (or GWM? or +2 STR?) 12 +2 CHA

Which one works better? Are some of this characters good enought to play or just a waste as spamming eldricth blast they do their work better? I really dont like the idea of a pure blaster, its not fun to play for me.

Ps of course all the builds suppose ill be lucky and get at least a 18 from my dice trow to put in STR, as a decent ones for COS and CHA (14/16 but better both 16). CHA bonus help a bit, DEX bonus is pretty useless.

Trickery
2019-09-01, 12:46 PM
Have you considered the valenar double scimitar? It works well for this build and may save you a feat on bonus action attacks with a single weapon.

adb82
2019-09-01, 01:28 PM
Have you considered the valenar double scimitar? It works well for this build and may save you a feat on bonus action attacks with a single weapon.

Yes but i dont think its in the PHB and i dont know if my dm would allow it and anyway it dont give the opportunityattack when enemies enter your reach that is kinda solid with sentinel.

Ps the second build i post can work also with rapier (without polearm master so its kinda faster and dex based) but with rapier probably there are too few damage dealed. The first one is probably the strongest one and the last the funniest. But do u think are all ok for be played or they are near to useless or anyway can do much better in some other way? Im not searching for power playing but at least something that dont make me always think like: "but if i go spamming eldricht blast it would be much more better".

Dork_Forge
2019-09-01, 04:14 PM
Just a quick side thing, feats are fun, but if you're throwing your first 2 ASIs at feats (and they're delayed ASIs at that), then your stats are going to struggle unless you roll and you roll high.

What did you want out of choosing Drow? You can go Half Elf (Drow) and still get most of the Drow flavour and casting.

Do you want AC or damage?

adb82
2019-09-01, 04:22 PM
Just a quick side thing, feats are fun, but if you're throwing your first 2 ASIs at feats (and they're delayed ASIs at that), then your stats are going to struggle unless you roll and you roll high.

What did you want out of choosing Drow? You can go Half Elf (Drow) and still get most of the Drow flavour and casting.

Do you want AC or damage?

Actually i just wanna role a drow (not pure caster) and i thought the bladelock fiend pact fits well with many role playing stuff of drows (probably more than rogues that its my second choice bcs assassins just wre good to do one thing, followed by paladin and fighter). He could be an half drow as well but as SCAG is probably not allowed im going for a drow. I want use armor of aghatys as hellish rebuke so im not focusing in a super hight AC but more in deal damage that is also what i need for get tempo hit points. I dont know how it fits hellish rebuke (max 1, using armor of aghatys, on short rest till lv 10 its kinda a finger in a place on the back where you wouldnt had a finger) with polearm master, probably not so much (but having so few uses i guess its not a big deal, the problem here is the slow progression of STR and CHA), at same time i dont know if the build "armor of aghatys based" deal enought damage for the so so so so so few spell slots that sometimes will be used for the darkness/devil sight combo if i have to fight during the day. If yes, i can easy put a +2 STR at lv 8 (or even at lv 4 for balance my wrong race choice and put heavy armor master at 8) and +2 CHA at lv 12. If not i think i must go for polearm master and i can switch the sentinel feat for +2 STR at 8 and +2 CHA at 12 for lifedrinker bonus...there is huge difference of damage and utility between the 2 builds?

actually my point is: i probably like to play both builds, i love reach weapons while roling maybe its more nice the "armor of aghatys based", but im just scared will be not solid enought bcs the DM said us that a guy that tend to create power player builds will play with us so i suppose he will prepare difficult combats or anyway something for limitating his kind of game. So getting a +2 STR at lv 4 and giving up the polearm master feat this build can still work? There's something better than heavy armor master at 8? Maybe more damage with GWM? Or i can even add +2 CHA and wait 12 for GWM if i roll bad stats?

adb82
2019-09-02, 02:09 AM
Well seem clear that with Polearm master feat the drow get to grow STR and CHA only at LV 8 and 12 and this can be an issue if i don't roll hight stat. From the other side giving up the polearm master feat I grow up STR and CHA from lv 4, getting the bonus i lost for don't choose a race with STR bonus, but this make the build lose great utility and damage output. The best way would be go half drow (if my GM allow me), but if this is not possible which way is better to choose? If I can't choose the half drow is better to just change the concept of the pg and change class (maybe arcane trickster for be a bit more gishy, or the assassin)?

Dork_Forge
2019-09-02, 08:11 AM
Actually i just wanna role a drow (not pure caster) and i thought the bladelock fiend pact fits well with many role playing stuff of drows (probably more than rogues that its my second choice bcs assassins just wre good to do one thing, followed by paladin and fighter). He could be an half drow as well but as SCAG is probably not allowed im going for a drow. I want use armor of aghatys as hellish rebuke so im not focusing in a super hight AC but more in deal damage that is also what i need for get tempo hit points. I dont know how it fits hellish rebuke (max 1, using armor of aghatys, on short rest till lv 10 its kinda a finger in a place on the back where you wouldnt had a finger) with polearm master, probably not so much (but having so few uses i guess its not a big deal, the problem here is the slow progression of STR and CHA), at same time i dont know if the build "armor of aghatys based" deal enought damage for the so so so so so few spell slots that sometimes will be used for the darkness/devil sight combo if i have to fight during the day. If yes, i can easy put a +2 STR at lv 8 (or even at lv 4 for balance my wrong race choice and put heavy armor master at 8) and +2 CHA at lv 12. If not i think i must go for polearm master and i can switch the sentinel feat for +2 STR at 8 and +2 CHA at 12 for lifedrinker bonus...there is huge difference of damage and utility between the 2 builds?

actually my point is: i probably like to play both builds, i love reach weapons while roling maybe its more nice the "armor of aghatys based", but im just scared will be not solid enought bcs the DM said us that a guy that tend to create power player builds will play with us so i suppose he will prepare difficult combats or anyway something for limitating his kind of game. So getting a +2 STR at lv 4 and giving up the polearm master feat this build can still work? There's something better than heavy armor master at 8? Maybe more damage with GWM? Or i can even add +2 CHA and wait 12 for GWM if i roll bad stats?

If you roll stats then the best thing would be to wait until you have the stats so we see what we can do with your ASI's, but in the meantime you hsould message your DM and ask if you can play a Half Drow. In terms of power it isn't unbalanced and you could always just play a normal statted Half Elf and say you're Half Drow.

adb82
2019-09-02, 01:03 PM
If you roll stats then the best thing would be to wait until you have the stats so we see what we can do with your ASI's, but in the meantime you hsould message your DM and ask if you can play a Half Drow. In terms of power it isn't unbalanced and you could always just play a normal statted Half Elf and say you're Half Drow.

well i talked with him. Scag is not allowed, stat by buying points system. So should be something like:

STR 15
DEX 8 +2
COS 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 15 + 1

In this way if i get the heavy armor master feat ill get 16 STR and 16 CHA that looks not bad. Im much more worry for the 14 in COS (and for lose polearm master that give me tons of damages and utilities) as i dont have space for warcaster feat. When Ill get at lv 8 +2 STR as asi and at lv 12 +2 CHA. Is this playable enought? Any suggestion for get something better? Tough maybe for more HP but im not that sure, probably resilient WIS, but this suppose i put 11 points there at least and both dont boost my damage that with 2 spells slot till lv 10 seem kinda limitated except spam eldricht blast (that is what i dont want).

Putting polearm as feat at lv 4 its still more problematic: i cant go over 15 buying points and polearm master doesnt give me any bonus to stats, so i should probably start with 14 STR, stay like that till lv8 and putting 15 in COS (totally useless, better increase WIS maybe even im a drow.) but this sounds like kinda never hit lol or i honestly dont know how to build this...

Dork_Forge
2019-09-02, 02:05 PM
well i talked with him. Scag is not allowed, stat by buying points system. So should be something like:

STR 15
DEX 8 +2
COS 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 15 + 1

In this way if i get the heavy armor master feat ill get 16 STR and 16 CHA that looks not bad. Im much more worry for the 14 in COS (and for lose polearm master that give me tons of damages and utilities) as i dont have space for warcaster feat. When Ill get at lv 8 +2 STR as asi and at lv 12 +2 CHA. Is this playable enought? Any suggestion for get something better? Tough maybe for more HP but im not that sure, probably resilient WIS, but this suppose i put 11 points there at least and both dont boost my damage that with 2 spells slot till lv 10 seem kinda limitated except spam eldricht blast (that is what i dont want).

Putting polearm as feat at lv 4 its still more problematic: i cant go over 15 buying points and polearm master doesnt give me any bonus to stats, so i should probably start with 14 STR, stay like that till lv8 and putting 15 in COS (totally useless, better increase WIS maybe even im a drow.) but this sounds like kinda never hit lol or i honestly dont know how to build this...

Honestly the best thing would be to go for Dex orientated and dump Str, right now your Racial bump is basically unused and you're struggling a bit with stats and feats. If you put an 8 in Str and 15 in Dex then you can push Dex to 18 at 4th either with an ASI or a half feat (like Elven Acurracy).

Just to make sure you're aware, ASIs are tied to your class level not your character level, so if you start with a level dip in Fighter then you won't get an ASI until level 5. I'd say go straight Bladelock to 5 then dip in Fighter and pick up Dueling style (or Defense if you've felt squishy up until that point), use a Rapier with your Improved Pact Weapon invocation on it to make it a +1 weapon and you should keep up in to hit and damage.

You don't need things like GWM and PAM to keep up in terms of damage, you will already have Hex and likely Eldritch Smite when you get there. Dueling will give you a damage bump at 6th and from 3rd level you can cast Shadow Blade if you want, which will give you the best bang for your buck out of a spell slot in your encounters vs Hex if you're going to be in melee anyway.

adb82
2019-09-02, 03:32 PM
Honestly the best thing would be to go for Dex orientated and dump Str, right now your Racial bump is basically unused and you're struggling a bit with stats and feats. If you put an 8 in Str and 15 in Dex then you can push Dex to 18 at 4th either with an ASI or a half feat (like Elven Acurracy).

Yes i think you are right

Just to make sure you're aware, ASIs are tied to your class level not your character level, so if you start with a level dip in Fighter then you won't get an ASI until level 5.

Yea i was wrong, i was meaning the lv 4 of warlock.

don't need things like GWM and PAM to keep up in terms of damage, you will already have Hex and likely Eldritch Smite when you get there. Dueling will give you a damage bump at 6th and from 3rd level you can cast Shadow Blade if you want, which will give you the best bang for your buck out of a spell slot in your encounters vs Hex if you're going to be in melee anyway.

yeah but i was supposed to use one slot for armor of aghatys kinda always, so i have left just one slot for this. But from lv 5 i can cast darkness that can help as a 3 slot (while its just for darkness and ill probably want cast also devil sight with it) if i dont need the hex boost.

adb82
2019-09-02, 04:31 PM
edit: im sorry it was totally OT

adb82
2019-09-03, 12:19 PM
i was thinking that for have less problems with the drow i could go with barbarian more than fighter:

1 lv Barbarian path of totem warrior (Bear is what i need)

x lv warlock (fiend patron) with a great sword

asi's: lv 5 +2 STR, lv 9 +2 STR, lv 13 GWM

STAT buy point should be:

STR 14
DEX 14 (12 +2 racial)
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 16 (15 + 1 racial)

invocation same as before: second attack and lifedrinker but agonising blast is better than what i put before

My easiest goal is cast armor of aghatys (and fire shield later probably) go rage (maybe before ill shot a fireball just for fun lol) and put down enemies getting temp hit points and dealing damage even in their turn, when its in practice dobled thanking to the bear totem (i can even think to low a bit my AC, where i anyway will use a breastplate much more than half plate i suppose, trying to buy better points on some stat, i dont think its so crazy as it looks, especially if my gm allow me to put that 2 points from dex to str, but well i dont think she ll do :P). When i cant rage for limitated uses i can still hex or darkness/evil sight combo (that will not use the spell slot for darkness! Great for who have just 2 spell slots). This seem quite better for a drow and even probably far away from OP i think (hope) its playable needing less feats than the fighter build bcs rage do its work.

ps i would like start with 16 str and 14 cha but seem is not possible for drows.

Nagog
2019-09-03, 01:01 PM
If you're going for an AoA build, I'd take a level of Barbarian moreso than Fighter, as the DR granted by rage effects your AoA health, but not the damage, so it'll last longer and deal more damage. Downside of that is you can't concentrate on spells, so no Hex while Raging, but anything with a duration rather than concentration will work (or just blasting spells). Combined with your Str, Barb would be a much better choice than Fighter, however for either build you'll be using Cha as your attack stat as a Hexblade, so you'll be much better off putting an 18 into Cha than Str or Dex.

adb82
2019-09-03, 01:11 PM
If you're going for an AoA build, I'd take a level of Barbarian moreso than Fighter, as the DR granted by rage effects your AoA health, but not the damage, so it'll last longer and deal more damage. Downside of that is you can't concentrate on spells, so no Hex while Raging, but anything with a duration rather than concentration will work (or just blasting spells). Combined with your Str, Barb would be a much better choice than Fighter, however for either build you'll be using Cha as your attack stat as a Hexblade, so you'll be much better off putting an 18 into Cha than Str or Dex.

Im agree everything except that this pg is not an hexblade, UA is unluckly not allowed, just PHB and she said "maybe SCAG" where im not focusing bcs of that "maybe", so i got fiend patron.

i found armor of agathys cool (and from lv 6 or 7 i think i add fireshield for the fiend patron), but as i said im trying to find a good way to MC for a drow bladelock, if this work i think its nice to play also and kinda versatile for even a fun outside combat (disguise self at will for a drow is very useful, invisibility and greater one, suggestion and there r some more).

PS probably for a bladelock drow the best class for MC is Assassin rogue, but i dont like the assassin so much, his biggest special feature it apply only if he surprise and depending on gm can mean from often to never, but honestly if he could crit more in that so easy way he easily go OP, where a 19/20 crit sneak attack when not surprising could be a balanced choice for get something even when not suprising that unluckly they didnt do, so the other subclasses are much more strong, not for a bladelock probably, but straight for sure, especially the AT.