PDA

View Full Version : comprehend languages?

FabulousFizban
2019-09-01, 03:59 PM
does it let you speak any language you hear, or only understand any language you hear? the wording would seem to indicate you can understand, but not speak.

Sigreid
2019-09-01, 04:01 PM
Only understand. You need tongues for speak.

Laserlight
2019-09-01, 05:56 PM
It doesn't even let you understand what you hear, exactly. You understand the literal meaning of what you hear. If the speaker is using metaphor, whe the rubber hits the road, you're toast. And if the speaker alludes to something--"I'm king of the world", or "chasing the white whale", or "alas, poor Yorick"--you may also not have any idea what they're talking about.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-02, 03:51 AM
To be fair, even native speakers can be confused by metaphors and regional idioms sometimes...

But yes, comprehend languages only lets you hear (or read), not speak or write. And you have to be touching a written word to read it. On the plus side, it's a ritual that you can often cast in advance of when you're going to need it.

Vogie
2019-09-02, 08:45 AM
And you have to be touching a written word to read it.

"I've got this, guys. It says 'Press Here to activate Explosive Rune'... Oh Sh-"

Chrizzt
2019-09-02, 04:00 PM
Funny that the similarly named diviner ability “greater comprehension“ only lets you read, not hear, other languanges. More of a “lesser comprehension“..

Lunali
2019-09-02, 05:39 PM
"I've got this, guys. It says 'Press Here to activate Explosive Rune'... Oh Sh-"

Meh, still no worse than the one that says 'read this to activate explosive rune.'

Chronos
2019-09-03, 03:24 PM
On the other hand, once you've got one-way understanding, you can probably figure out how to set up two-way communications. Eventually, the other person is going to say "Can you understand me?" or the like, and get to "Nod your head up and down for 'yes', or shake it side to side for 'no'.", and the like.

Sigreid
2019-09-03, 08:13 PM
On the other hand, once you've got one-way understanding, you can probably figure out how to set up two-way communications. Eventually, the other person is going to say "Can you understand me?" or the like, and get to "Nod your head up and down for 'yes', or shake it side to side for 'no'.", and the like.

Eh, know from experience that if two people really want to communicate language is a barrier you can work around. You're not going to get to academic dissertations, but well enough.