PDA

View Full Version : Le Crunch

Exeson
2007-10-13, 11:53 AM
So tonight is the big game, England vs. France in the Rugby World Cup semi-final. it gonna be one hell of a game.

Even if you are not a rugby fan I implore you to watch it. The kick-off is at 8:00 GMT

So what are your views? Who is going to win? Who is going to play well?

Personally I think that France will win if they can hold the scrums because their flankers are very good and capable of shutting down Jonny's game, which is England's key. And lets not forget the man-mountain that is Chabal :smallbiggrin:
http://moritz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sebastian_chabal200.jpg

Castaras
2007-10-13, 12:29 PM
Booooo! Down with Rugby!! :smallbiggrin:

Although it's better than football/soccer at least...:smallamused:

Jibar
2007-10-13, 12:32 PM
Oh, crap. That's tonight?
Crap crap crap crap craaap.
I need to construct my bunker, I need to prepare in case we lose.
(Of course we won't, we're English. Doesn't hurt to be prepared though.)

Exeson
2007-10-13, 12:46 PM

HOW DARE YE!!!! To the naughty corner you go!

FdL
2007-10-13, 01:32 PM
Go Pumas.
Fill, fill, fill the post with more characters.

Castaras
2007-10-13, 01:34 PM
HOW DARE YE!!!! To the naughty corner you go!

*sits in corner*

*puts on dunce cap*

....Damn you Exeson. You gave me another idea for an avvie. And I said to myself I wasn't going to mess around with inkscape tonight. GAH!

G'luck France. Beat those English people! :smallamused:

Timberwolf
2007-10-13, 01:35 PM
Ah dear, the Great Egg Chase again is it ?

Sigh

*Joins Cassie on the naughty step*

Exeson
2007-10-13, 01:42 PM

You traitor to your own country! Even the naughty corner is too good for you! Although that does sound like an awesome avatar.

I actually only want England to win so that South Africa have an easier game in the Final.:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 02:06 PM

Although it's better than football at least...:smallamused:

BLASPHEMY! Rugby is not better than any kind of football, be it the American kind

http://www.cortland.edu/athletics/football/main_football.jpg

or the other type

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2006/06/06/395648/soccer.jpg

bosssmiley
2007-10-13, 02:17 PM

"Do Not Feed The Trolls" :smallannoyed:

ocato
2007-10-13, 02:40 PM
This idea of a 'naughty corner' interests me, and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

Also, as an American, I am both confused and intimidated by this concept of "rug bees", but I do know that bees make honey, and honey is hard to get out of carpet. And they sting, possibly the bottoms of our feets! This idea is terrible on all fronts!

Remember kids, if you don't get that I'm joking and/or try to explain to me what rugby is, you have to sign your home over to me. Thems the rules.

Em Blackleaf
2007-10-13, 02:42 PM
This idea of a 'naughty corner' interests me, and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

Also, as an American, I am both confused and intimidated by this concept of "rug bees", but I do know that bees make honey, and honey is hard to get out of carpet. And they sting, possibly the bottoms of our feets! This idea is terrible on all fronts!

Remember kids, if you don't get that I'm joking and/or try to explain to me what rugby is, you have to sign your home over to me. Thems the rules.

Would "rug bees," then make a "bee rug?"
Would that create a new sport?! :smallbiggrin:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 02:55 PM
Since ALOT of English people ate the French and vice versa (for no real reason but lets not get into that) the match will probably turn into a brawl between the English and the French.

So basically it will be Rugby played normally.

Jibar
2007-10-13, 02:59 PM
Since ALOT of English people ate the French and vice versa (for no real reason but lets not get into that)

That's not true.
We hate the French because they're not English.
It's how we operate as a country.

Edit: Hang on, how long have we liked the Italians? Nobody informed me.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 03:04 PM
That's not true.
We hate the French because they're not English.
It's how we operate as a country.

Yes but we like Italians even though they're not English.

The French and British are like 2 neighbours who will be civil to each other and exchange brief pleasantries but will secretly hate each other.

If there are any French people in Giantitp (those who actually live in France, not French Canadians or people who are French but who have never lived in France)? If so I want to hear you opinion.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 03:05 PM
Yes but we like Italians even though they're not English.

What about us Americans?

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 03:14 PM
What about us Americans?

The less said about the English's opinion on Americans the better. It's usually nothing personal but most every English persons dislikes a certain Nuke Wielding Monkey.

Though personally I don't mind most Americans. When I went to LA and SCarolina everybody was really friendly.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-13, 03:23 PM
What about us Americans?

i don't love america put it that way, ive only been to Miami and can't remember much of it so it cant of been awfull but it wasn't great either

Gygaxphobia
2007-10-13, 03:31 PM
Ahem... w00t!

The less said about the English's opinion on Americans the better. It's usually nothing personal but most every English persons dislikes a certain Nuke Wielding Monkey.

Speak for yourself. In my experience the British -and especially the English- quite like the US Americans that they've met but will occasionally over-react to either a political position or just the sterotype behaviours.
Brits think of Americans as their kids, they are occasionally naughty but they are proud of the way they've grown up.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 03:36 PM
Speak for yourself. In my experience the British -and especially the English- quite like the US Americans that they've met but will occasionally over-react to either a political position or just the sterotype behaviours.
Brits think of Americans as their kids, they are occasionally naughty but they are proud of the way they've grown up.

Yeah, but most English/British people will judge Americans by what they see on TV but will actually like an American when they actually meet one.

And we won. Booyah.

bosssmiley
2007-10-13, 03:44 PM
The French and British are like 2 neighbours who will be civil to each other and exchange brief pleasantries but will secretly hate each other.

Oh it's way more complex than that! Think of the Anglo-French rivalry as being like that between two mutually emulative, but aspirationally distinct, neighbours who also happen to be (unacknowledged) half-brothers. We actually admire a lot about each other, but would never dream of admitting to it. Us and Johnny Frog are the original odd couple. :smallwink:

Oh, btw: Eng 14 - Frc 9. :smallcool:

Edit: Hang on, how long have we liked the Italians? Nobody informed me.

We like their food, their cars, their girls, their clothes, their art, their architecture... Need I go on?

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-13, 03:47 PM
The English won?

Meh.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 03:48 PM
Now I'm beginning to wonder how much the English make fun of American accents. Us Americans make fun of your voices all the time.

Exeson
2007-10-13, 03:48 PM
Since ALOT of English people ate the French and vice versa (for no real reason but lets not get into that) the match will probably turn into a brawl between the English and the French.

So basically it will be Rugby played normally.

You do realise that they first wanted to call rugby 'Brawl' but apparently people said it was not in good taste. And also I wouldn't call a 100 year war 'no real reason':smalltongue:

What a tight game now SA just have to beat Argentina and the ultimate showdown will approach.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-13, 03:51 PM
Even our commercials do!

Ello guvner.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-13, 03:51 PM
Since ALOT of English people ate the French and vice versa

Now I'm imagining some bizarre situation which ended in a bunch of English and French eating eachother.

Edit: I saw that! :smalltongue:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 03:57 PM
Now I'm beginning to wonder how much the English make fun of American accents. Us Americans make fun of your voices all the time.

I like shootering thangs...in America

OR

Thats like TOTALLY radical dudes. Lets go play some soccer, eat tomaytoes and prounce it aluminum instead of aluminum...in America.

I figure no one actually talks like this though.

Like no one in Britain really talks like -

Tally Ho, What what. One must go and powder ones nose before coming back and drinking ones tea...in America.

Or

"ello guvner. Watcha want me old mucker? How about we go up the apples and pairs and watch that ol' Telly. Man, that new landlord is a right James Blunt...in America.

And the British only eat the French on Saturdays. Any other time would be uncouth...In America.

Jibar
2007-10-13, 04:03 PM
We like their food, their cars, their girls, their clothes, their art, their architecture... Need I go on?

Hmmm... I can't think of any real reason why we would specifically dislike them, come to think of it.

Tally Ho, What what. One must go and powder ones nose before coming back and drinking ones tea...

I talk like that...

bosssmiley
2007-10-13, 04:03 PM

Not much, truth be told. We have more linguistic variation in our little ole island than you lot do in a continent (go even 200 miles and strong dialect speakers are mutually incomprehensible to one another). American accents - familiar to us from about 50 years of films and TV - *really* don't sound all that weird when compared to some of the bizarre linguistic fossils (Welsh, Gaelic, Cornish, Manx, Norse(!), etc.) we have over here.

Plus we live just offshore from Europe. We only have to cross the Channel to find an entire continent of funny-sounding foreigners to mock. :smallwink:

And the British only eat the French on Saturdays. Any other time would be uncouth...In America.

Yes, indeed. The French, like game birds, are strictly a seasonal delicacy. This is due to annual variations in the toxicity of their flesh. As a general rule, one should never partake of the French during any month with a 'y' in it.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 04:06 PM
I like shootering thangs...in America

OR

Thats like TOTALLY radical dudes. Lets go play some soccer, eat tomaytoes and prounce it aluminum instead of aluminum...in America.

I figure no one actually talks like this though.

Actually, the first one is real. We refer to people who talk like that as texans, rednecks, hicks, or idiots. Being from Boston I don't pronounce R when I talk. A famous example of a Boston accent is "Pahk the cah in Hahvahad Yahd." Also, whenever I say Boston it sounds like Bwoston.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 04:07 PM
Hmmm... I can't think of any real reason why we would specifically dislike them, come to think of it.

I talk like that...

:confused: er well um nyer MINDCRUSH.

Though only a few (very rich) people talk like that. Better that than scouse though *shivers*

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 04:09 PM
Plus we live just offshore from Europe. We only have to cross the Channel to find an entire continent of funny-sounding foreigners to mock. :smallwink:

We just make fun of those hockey playing weirdos north of us.

What you talkin aboot, eh?

eidreff
2007-10-13, 04:18 PM
Scary tho'there are bits of the UK (southern bits i have to say) where the US English originated and to this day you can hear the origins of the US accents!

PS read or even better listen to Bill Brysons books (I can't remember the title but its about the founding of the US) very interesting and also very very funny.

but back to the plot.

Engerlaaaandwoo hooo. etc.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 04:22 PM
Scary tho'there are bits of the UK (southern bits i have to say) where the US English originated and to this day you can hear the origins of the US accents!

This might explain why some people think Boston accents sound kind of similar to English ones.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-13, 04:29 PM
We just make fun of those hockey playing weirdos north of us.

What you talkin aboot, eh?

Make that a whut, and take off the "eh?" and that sounds just like those deepfried mars bar eating weirdos north of us. :smalltongue:

In Wales we tend to make fun of the English more than anyone else, though.

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 04:31 PM
Make that a whut, and take off the "eh?" and that sounds just like those deepfried mars bar eating weirdos north of us. :smalltongue:

Add "skirt wearing" to "deepfried mars bar eating weirdos"

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-13, 04:38 PM
Ahem... w00t!

HAHHAHAHA!:smallbiggrin:

Wraithy
2007-10-13, 04:49 PM
yaay rugby!
I like playing most sports, but god if I hate watching them (excluding martial arts tournaments)
I tend to go through periods of hating and loving playing rugby, wierdness.

and as for accents, honestly there are too many here in the UK, I'd need to spend ranks in speak language to understand some. meh, its better than everyone speaking in a newsreader accent (or even worse, Queen's english!:smalleek: ), my brother speaks in a heavy essex accent and adds in bits from every other accent on the island, listening to him is like listening to german for the first time: you recognise some of it, but its mostly guess work.

hippie_dwarf
2007-10-13, 04:51 PM
Man this thread derailed quick.

I think american's have the single most annoying accent on the plant, I almost went mad when I was on holiday there. I find it hilarious when Anerican's mis-pronounce place names like Worcestershire, Edinbugh and the Isle of Wight. Mind you we probably do the same thing.

Tom_Violence
2007-10-13, 04:59 PM
By god that was a dull game. I think I actually fell asleep for part of it.

Still, nice to see the champions go through - they certainly have been performing much better recently than have done in recent years.

I hope Argentina win tomorrow, mainly just cos it would really give the southern hemisphere something to be surprised out (not that they don't have enough already :smallwink: ).

Exeson
2007-10-13, 05:24 PM
I hope Argentina win tomorrow, mainly just cos it would really give the southern hemisphere something to be surprised out (not that they don't have enough already :smallwink: ).

Don't say that! South Africa need to win to prove they are better than the Australians and New Zelanders.

on that though, here is a good joke:

How have the Keewies cut down on their carbon emissions? They dropped the Aussies off on the way! :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-10-13, 06:36 PM
How have the Kiwis cut down on their carbon emissions? They dropped the Aussies off on the way! :smallbiggrin:

"Bwah-hah-hah-hah!!!"

Eggy approves! Tears of laughter. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Rykaj
2007-10-14, 11:08 AM
We don't make fun of the brits over here... It's mostly the Germans and Belgians who have to endure the cruel jokes. But in truth we like the Belgians and even though we have long disliked the Germans (mostly because of football of course) we are slowly starting to like them. We should find a new country to make fun of and dislike.

Maybe the UK will do....
Mmmm...

Or Danmark?

DraPrime
2007-10-14, 11:57 AM

I think american's have the single most annoying accent on the plant, I almost went mad when I was on holiday there.

Have you ever listened to yourself?

Raiser Blade
2007-10-14, 12:23 PM

I think american's have the single most annoying accent on the plant, I almost went mad when I was on holiday there. I find it hilarious when Anerican's mis-pronounce place names like Worcestershire, Edinbugh and the Isle of Wight. Mind you we probably do the same thing.

Yes it has.

Also accent? What accent? We don't have an accent you guys do.

I like the way you guys pronounce your a's. Like frahnce.:smallamused:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-14, 01:24 PM
Yes it has.

Also accent? What accent? We don't have an accent you guys do.

I like the way you guys pronounce your a's. Like frahnce.:smallamused:

Touche

However Americans can't pronounce aluminium or vitamins correctly...in America :smallwink:.

DraPrime
2007-10-14, 01:27 PM
Touche

However Americans can't pronounce aluminium or vitamins correctly...in America :smallwink:.

It's not that we can't pronounce "aluminium," it's just that we spell it differently. We spell it aluminum. And how do we not pronounce vitamins correctly?

PlatinumJester
2007-10-14, 01:31 PM
It's pronounced vitamins not vite-a-mins...in America.

Though I didn't know you spelt Aluminium differently...in America.

Please exuse the...in Americas. Been watching to much YGO Abridged...in America

Raiser Blade
2007-10-14, 01:43 PM
You guys say vitamins. :smalltongue:

Wow everyone knows its pronounced Vite... a.. mins... wait a minute.

Syka
2007-10-14, 01:59 PM
Actually, the first one is real. We refer to people who talk like that as texans, rednecks, hicks, or idiots. Being from Boston I don't pronounce R when I talk. A famous example of a Boston accent is "Pahk the cah in Hahvahad Yahd." Also, whenever I say Boston it sounds like Bwoston.

Haha, I was going to point out the first one is quite correct. As my boy says, he's fluent in English and Hick (he grew up in the Illinois corn fields, basically). :smallwink: He doesn't talk like that himself normally, but he can. And I've heard people who, honest to god, spoke with that accent.

Then again, I kinda live in the South, so it makes sense.

Cheers,
Syka

PlatinumJester
2007-10-14, 02:16 PM
I used to have a cool East London accent but then I went to school in Essex and now it's been ruined.

Another reason why I hate Essex.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-14, 03:01 PM
I used to have a cool East London accent but then I went to school in Essex and now it's been ruined.

of course you did hehe :smalltongue:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-14, 03:11 PM
of course you did hehe :smalltongue:

Yes I did :smallyuk:.

Gitman00
2007-10-15, 02:43 AM

Single most annoying accent? I resent that! We have dozens of annoying accents! :smallamused:

Serpentine
2007-10-15, 02:58 AM
Yes, indeed. The French, like game birds, are strictly a seasonal delicacy. This is due to annual variations in the toxicity of their flesh. As a general rule, one should never partake of the French during any month with a 'y' in it.
So... March, April, June, August, September, October, November and December are fine, then? Mhmm... >jots down notes in cookbook<

Charity
2007-10-15, 04:05 AM

You will pay dearly for this in population Cas...

*Stencils Cassie's name to the side of his submarine fleet.*

Sooo who thinks we have a chance in hell against SA?

Oh and Death, Rawhide etc... never mind theres always another sport eh?

nyuk nyuk.

banjo1985
2007-10-15, 06:27 AM
Yeah we have a chance, not a great one, but it's there!

The bookies have us 1:2 against apparanetly, which I think is about right.

Based on form and ability, South Africa have got us licked, but England seem to be at their best when their up against it.

My prediction:

South Africa 27 England 18

I think it'll be close, but my head says SA just have too much to offer.

Jibar
2007-10-15, 10:12 AM
Well, everybody seems to think we would have lost every game we've won so...
Yeah, we're gonna lose. By which I mean we'll win.
See what I did there?

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-15, 10:13 AM
Still won't help ya. :smalltongue:

Here's to South Africa!

PlatinumJester
2007-10-15, 11:35 AM
Still won't help ya. :smalltongue:

Here's to South Africa!

Go England. Though Rugby is just an exuse for grown, middle aged men to grope each other.

I have a funny comment on why S.Afica beat Fiji but saying it would get me an infraction :smallfrown:.

Exeson
2007-10-15, 11:49 AM
Here's to South Africa!

Amen to that!