PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Firblog as a PC class

bannondorf
2019-09-01, 04:56 PM
Hey Everybody,

I have a player joining my RotRL game at the start of the 3rd module. He has a desire to be a Firblog, which is a lesser nature giant of sorts and would fit in to the story pretty well, anyway, pathfinder does not have anything similar as a playable character I can find, so Im trying to hack it. the "Create-New-Races" rules dont quite get me there and the closest reasonable analog is 'half-giant' but thats a psionic race from 3PP and leaves somethings to be desired. just looking for advice on a easy substitute or other suggestions.

thanks,

Silvercrys
2019-09-01, 05:09 PM
You're in luck, looks like Firbolgs were printed in the Bestiary 5:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/firbolg/

They're CR4 so using the Pathfinder's Monsters-as-PCs rules should work okay. Their 6d8 racial HD give them a bit more HP, saves, and skill points than other level 4 characters but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

thorr-kan
2019-09-01, 05:15 PM
Hey Everybody,

I have a player joining my RotRL game at the start of the 3rd module. He has a desire to be a Firblog, which is a lesser nature giant of sorts and would fit in to the story pretty well, anyway, pathfinder does not have anything similar as a playable character I can find, so Im trying to hack it. the "Create-New-Races" rules dont quite get me there and the closest reasonable analog is 'half-giant' but thats a psionic race from 3PP and leaves somethings to be desired. just looking for advice on a easy substitute or other suggestions.

thanks,
It was statted out in 2E in the Complete Book of Humanoids. One of my player's runs one in an Al-Qadim campaign, and it's a hoot.

MM2 shows a version with an LA +18!? Maybe that and Savage Species to cobble together something?

StSword
2019-09-01, 10:01 PM
You could add some stuff to the Jotun Paragon Class (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/jotun-paragon-class/) to represent a Firbolg, since the point of that class is to let people play giants of many different heritages.

Endarire
2019-09-02, 02:01 AM
The 3.5 Firbolg - as well as many or most other high-HD creatures - is best 'become' via shapeshifting. 18 LA is way too much: At that point, you may as well shapechange into something better!

Ramza00
2019-09-02, 02:27 AM
The 3.5 Firbolg - as well as many or most other high-HD creatures - is best 'become' via shapeshifting. 18 LA is way too much: At that point, you may as well shapechange into something better!

*Nods*, Master of Many Forms 2 (plus Druid, Ranger, or another form of wild shape to enter into MoMF) gives you Large and Giant Wild-shape. So yeah Druid 11 / Master of Many Form 2 so you can enter the 13 HD form. You are 2 caster levels behind but you can easily assume giants forms, speak in giant forms, and so on.

-----

Then again the OP is playing a pathfinder game so shape-changing magic, wild-shape, etc plays by different rules.