PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger build help

george moshingt
2019-09-01, 05:25 PM
So my last campaign where I was playing a kensei monk ended recently and I am now playing a ranger.

Some quick info this campaign is intended to get to level 20, and my DM is allowing me to play revised ranger.

So I am a variant human revised ranger Gloomstalker started at level 5 and am about to hit level 6.

My stats were rolled and are as follows
12 18 16 10 16 12
I started with the sharpshooter feat as a V. Human

I'm thinking of multiclassing into fighter, so my real question is how many levels of fighter should I go

I'm thinking either 2 levels to get action surge, second wind, and a fighting style

Or

4 levels for all the previous stuff as well as arcane archer and an ASI

After that I was thinking of taking 1 level of rogue to get sneak attack and expertise.

So what do you guys think, should I take 2 levels of fighter, or 4 levels, should I take rogue as well, and if I do how many levels should I just take 1 level or would it be better to take 3 to get assassin or scout(idk which one overall) or maybe 4 levels for another ASI

Any help is much appreciated I'm also open to other options for multiclass as well if anyone has a better option

moonfly7
2019-09-01, 05:55 PM
I'd go at least 4 levels fighter for arcane archer, or go samurai so when you take rogue you can auto sneak attack at will. You really only need 1 level in rogue, but if you hold out for 3 you get some nice ranged combat advantages whatever you take, I'd suggest going either assasin or scout for even MORE ranger in your ranger.
Definitly take the rogue multiclass if you want, and fighter is always applicable to any character, in my opinion.

CTurbo
2019-09-02, 04:48 AM
An archer Gloom Stalker 5/Fighter 2/Assassin X is extremely strong. The Assassin's 3rd level feature is perfect for Gloom Stalkers. The 9th and 13th level features do not fit though so I would recommend Scout over Assassin if you think you'll take that many Rogue levels. I think a 1 level War Cleric dip would be good too.

I don't really care for the Arcane Archer. I think Battlemaster is superior. I would personally even take Champion over AA. With the Assassin/GS combo you'll be shooting with advantage a lot so doubling your crit range is pretty good. Either way I'd probably just stick to 2 Fighter levels.

You think you'll get to 20? Gloom Stalker 5, Fighter 2, and Assassin/Scout 13 would be a really strong character. If you want to take 3 or 4 levels of Fighter, I'd go ahead and grab a level of War Cleric too.

djreynolds
2019-09-02, 05:46 PM
An archer Gloom Stalker 5/Fighter 2/Assassin X is extremely strong. The Assassin's 3rd level feature is perfect for Gloom Stalkers. The 9th and 13th level features do not fit though so I would recommend Scout over Assassin if you think you'll take that many Rogue levels. I think a 1 level War Cleric dip would be good too.

I don't really care for the Arcane Archer. I think Battlemaster is superior. I would personally even take Champion over AA. With the Assassin/GS combo you'll be shooting with advantage a lot so doubling your crit range is pretty good. Either way I'd probably just stick to 2 Fighter levels.

You think you'll get to 20? Gloom Stalker 5, Fighter 2, and Assassin/Scout 13 would be a really strong character. If you want to take 3 or 4 levels of Fighter, I'd go ahead and grab a level of War Cleric too.

This good

But don't pass on gloomstalker 7, you get free wisdom save proficiency. 8th is an ASI and 9th is lightning arrow

GS 9/ Battlemaster 3/ 8 rogue... take you pick. I like scout... but you know you will not always be in melee and fighter gives you an extra fighting style, sayTWF, and grab swashbuckler

GS 9/ Battlemaster 3/ 8 swashbuckler you got 2 attacks, archery and TWF style, rakish audacity and fancy footwork, and evasion and cunning action and uncanny dodge and 4d6 SA and 3 STR,DEX, WIS save proficiency... 4ASI so max out dex, snag sharpshooter, I also like lucky and consider maybe resilient con