PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade weapons?

Skadi
2019-09-02, 10:14 AM
So as far as I am aware the Hexblade patron is their weapon or item, so when creating a patron for your Hexblade what are the rules? Are there any agreed apon rules when it comes to creating a hexblade patron or is it all up to the discretion of the GM as to what they are willing to allow in their game?

I mean if the whole class itself is based around having a sentient weapon as your patron one would expect that weapon to be powerful, yet at the same time you don't want to give the player an unfair advantage by essentially gifting them a magic weapon at level 1 while the rest of the party gets squat, just wondering what rules and restrictions DMs here use around hexblade warlocks?

Nagog
2019-09-02, 10:20 AM
There really isn't any sort of enforced fluff for Hexblade like there is for other patrons, so it's up to you. Also, a Hexblade's synergy with Pact of the Blade and the ability to create a weapon from shadowstuff with that seems to imply you don't necessarily need to keep the weapon you have as your patron.

Millstone85
2019-09-02, 11:59 AM
So as far as I am aware the Hexblade patron is their weapon or item
There really isn't any sort of enforced fluff for Hexblade like there is for other patronsYou are both very wrong.

First, the Hexblade is not a weapon, but a blacksmith. There are a number of weapons, such as Blackrazor, of which the creation is attributed to the Hexblade, and the patron might be contacted through the weapon.

Secondly, while the Archfey, the Fiend and the GOO are categories, there is but the one and only Hexblade. Thus, this is the most restrictive fluff we ever got for a patron.

Now, I get the impression that everybody hates and ignores that fluff, which might explain your confusion.

MThurston
2019-09-02, 12:11 PM
The Hexblade has a patron and you can fluff it up anyway you want.

You can get your powers through some sourse or have it be the weapon you carry.

The later should be controlled by the GM.

Here is a cool example.

1st level. Acts as a magical weapon with no bonus.
2nd level. Acts as a focus.
3rd level. Can cast spells next to opponents.
4th level. Gets a +1 to hit and damage and is magical.
5th level. As a free action can be returned to your hand.
6th level. Allows advantage on concentration saves.
7th level. Weapon becomes a type of damage and magical damage. Example: Fire
8th level. All damage of that type added one level to the cast. If Necritic is picked then Hex does 2d6 and all Necrotic spells cast at one level higher.
9th level. Bonus action spells don't restrict you to cantrip spells being cast the same turn.
10th level. Weapon is now +2 magical weapon with your selection of element (fire).

Reynaerde
2019-09-02, 05:38 PM
There really isn't any sort of enforced fluff for Hexblade like there is for other patrons There is thIs right?

THE HEXBLADE You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell-a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.

Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Ma.terial Plane to her inscrutable ends.

First, the Hexblade is not a weapon, but a blacksmith. Where did you find this bit? It sounds interesting!

greenstone
2019-09-02, 05:44 PM
So as far as I am aware the Hexblade patron is their weapon or item,
That is not necessarily the case. Their patron is "a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell" who manifests itself in one or more weapons on this plane. One of those weapons might be the one the warlock is carrying, but it might not.

dragoeniex
2019-09-02, 06:32 PM
I mean if the whole class itself is based around having a sentient weapon as your patron one would expect that weapon to be powerful, yet at the same time you don't want to give the player an unfair advantage by essentially gifting them a magic weapon at level 1 while the rest of the party gets squat, just wondering what rules and restrictions DMs here use around hexblade warlocks?

You really don't need to start them out with a weapon that's extraordinary. Take a look at one of their first features:

Additionally, whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest.

We see the warlock being being able to choose which weapon they want to be in-tune with for the day and imbuing it with the shadow energy that allows them to attack with something other than physical prowess. This doesn't have to be tied to a specific weapon. While you could have a starting, sentient weapon that grants that power channeling to be used on itself and other weapons by the wielder, it's just as easy to say this power isn't tied to any specific weapon and is instead just a manifestation of the warlock's powers.

If you do have a warlock going the sentient weapon route, no worries! Let the powers awaken over time, if this is a special item, or let the patron's spirit move between different weapons to use as its vessel. As the character gains access to better equipment, the spirit will naturally want an upgrade.

Warlocks are the biggest class case of Talk with Your DM to me. I went up to my DM midway through a long-running game and said, "Hey, so, we've been flavoring my whispers bard's subclass powers as shadow manipulation and soul-tugging for months. Since he's gone through an arc about accepting and refining those powers to aid others, can he dip hexblade and just sort of... be his own patron? He's canonically full of shadow energy he has to keep from eating his soul at this point anyhow."

DM thought for a moment before nodding. "Seems fair."

Millstone85
2019-09-02, 07:06 PM
Where did you find this bit? It sounds interesting!You just quoted it, though I forgot that it was part of the Raven Queen theory.

Arathryth
2019-09-02, 07:58 PM
The whole "Hexblade Warlock's patron is a sentient weapon" is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's like 90% of people read the description from the UA, and never bothered to read the official one in Xanathar's.

Basically, any powerful entity from the Shadowfell can be a Hexblade's patron. You can use the Raven Queen, as the description suggests, or any other Shadow Lord, like Strahd, etc.

Reynaerde
2019-09-03, 01:49 AM
You just quoted it, though I forgot that it was part of the Raven Queen theory.Ah, that's a shame, was hoping I had missed another source of info on this.

Skadi
2019-09-03, 03:56 AM
The whole "Hexblade Warlock's patron is a sentient weapon" is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's like 90% of people read the description from the UA, and never bothered to read the official one in Xanathar's.

That is because it is far cooler to have a sentient axe guitar possessed by Slash than have some mopey emo patron from the shadowrealm

Reynaerde
2019-09-03, 04:59 AM
That is because it is far cooler to have a sentient axe guitar possessed by Slash than have some mopey emo patron from the shadowrealm
Are you really suggesting Slash is not from the shadow realm?

Nagog
2019-09-03, 08:24 AM
You are both very wrong.

First, the Hexblade is not a weapon, but a blacksmith. There are a number of weapons, such as Blackrazor, of which the creation is attributed to the Hexblade, and the patron might be contacted through the weapon.

Secondly, while the Archfey, the Fiend and the GOO are categories, there is but the one and only Hexblade. Thus, this is the most restrictive fluff we ever got for a patron.

Now, I get the impression that everybody hates and ignores that fluff, which might explain your confusion.

Except not. It says you make the pact with a mysterious entity that manifests to you in sentient magic weapons. Literally any powerful enough magic wielder can create sentient weapons, the fact that the description of the weapon's origins points to the Shadowfell restricts it somewhat, but there are plenty of powerful entities in the Shadowfell. Also, the one example of who "Sages speculate" this entity could be is most definitely not a blacksmith, they're a godlike entity of ice and cold and timely death. No heat or forge or anything resembling a blacksmith.

There is thIs right?

THE HEXBLADE You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell-a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.

Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends.

Where did you find this bit? It sounds interesting!

I'm confident they left this as a "mysterious entity" to keep the fluff light, similar to Paladins, who's gods aren't really relevant to their Oath. Considering Hexblades are essentially Arcane Paladins (with more utility than support), it stands to reason that they'd keep the fluff similarly light. Paladins generally get their power from the higher planes, while Hexblades typically get theirs from the Shadowfell. Done and done.

Millstone85
2019-09-03, 09:02 AM
Except not. It says you make the pact with a mysterious entity that manifests to you in sentient magic weapons. Literally any powerful enough magic wielder can create sentient weapons, the fact that the description of the weapon's origins points to the Shadowfell restricts it somewhatAs I already said, I forgot that the Hexblade having created any of these weapons was tied to the theory that the Raven Queen is the Hexblade.

So yeah, my bad.

but there are plenty of powerful entities in the Shadowfell.Yes, though I maintain that, going by XGtE's description, one of these entities has to be the one and only Hexblade.

Which is needlessly restrictive, so of course everyone is going to ignore it.

Also, the one example of who "Sages speculate" this entity could be is most definitely not a blacksmith, they're a godlike entity of ice and cold and timely death. No heat or forge or anything resembling a blacksmith.It clearly says that the Raven Queen forged the first of these weapons. Yes, she probably struck shadows on an anvil of ice, or something of the sort, but she is a blacksmith.

Nagog
2019-09-03, 09:51 AM
As I already said, I forgot that the Hexblade having created any of these weapons was tied to the theory that the Raven Queen is the Hexblade.

So yeah, my bad.

My apologies, I had not seen the comment.

Yes, though I maintain that, going by XGtE's description, one of these entities has to be the one and only Hexblade.

Which is needlessly restrictive, so of course everyone is going to ignore it.

Unless there's another description somewhere, there's nothing that suggests there is only one such entity, in fact the bit about the Raven Queen seems to suggest there are a few entities at fault for the creation of such weapons, as it's proved that the Raven Queen created the first of these weapons, but apparently it's doubted that she created all of them.

It clearly says that the Raven Queen forged the first of these weapons. Yes, she probably struck shadows on an anvil of ice, or something of the sort, but she is a blacksmith.

I mean if that fits your narrative sure, but I imagine these weapons are created similarly to a Bladelock creating their weapons, similar to how the description of Hexblade says:

Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.

Which sounds to me like Bladelock vs. Tome or Chainlocks.

J-H
2019-09-03, 10:38 AM
It would also be trivially easy to refluff things. For example, in my Castlevania campaign, if someone wanted to be a Hexblade, it would be easy to simply refer to them as a member of the Darksbane order, a Baneblade, etc... empowered by X to curse the wicked and destroy evil.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-09-03, 11:00 AM
It would also be trivially easy to refluff things. For example, in my Castlevania campaign, if someone wanted to be a Hexblade, it would be easy to simply refer to them as a member of the Darksbane order, a Baneblade, etc... empowered by X to curse the wicked and destroy evil.

In my campaigns Hexblades deal with whatever patron they gives them the knowledge to imbue an object with a part of their life force. This is what allows them to command martial prowess using charisma and the object being separate from the weapon helps deal with weirdness associated with the idea that this specific weapon is your Hex Warrior weapon but you can switch it for that ordinary longsword at the end of a rest for the same benefits. Instead whatever object they have part of their essense bound to (my Hexblade Paladin's is a black diamond used in a corrupt resurrection ritual to raise him) can be affixed to whatever weapon they choose to use after a rest.

I also prefer the idea that being a Hexblade is distinctly a "this entity chose you" deal rather than something you actively seek out, but that's personal preference. When the attempt was made to raise my Paladin (it was an attempt at having his noble family assimilated into the Cassalanters by twisting his soul into a Devil) something intervened and managed to seal the corruption in what would become his Hexblade.