PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclass dilemmas and ideas how to build the character I want

Obii
2019-09-02, 03:39 PM
Hi!

First want to say sorry if there is bad english in the post, not my first language!

I'm new to DnD and so is our group - some have played earlier editions tho!

We are a party of 6 players and all have picked their classes (cleric, paladin, fighter, wizard, sorcerer).
I picked hexblade and made a plan for a crit build with the hexblade curse (crit on 19-20) and elven accuracy.
The thing that put me off was the lvl 6 ability "Accursed Specter".
As we are 6 players I realy don't want to have one more player, it also falls off after lvl 6 very quickly plus the activation requierments was just.. bad..

We did homebrew it - made it so some of the specters abilitys went to the hexblade instead and you got some bonus on dmg (+5)
So it was kind of stong as it will now scale with the hexblade and not stay as it is on lvl6 (we don't use flanking either so can't give me advantage on my turn for my crits)
But now as the DM is also new and it's the first campain for him I didn't want to give him headache (he did approved on the homebrew) - we might still need to modify it later
so to make it easy I thought I multiclass instead after hexblade lvl 5.

This was a major problem for me now - my brother suggested fighter and I think that's a good choice and also make it a ranged variant of the hexblade.

I started to make a lvling plan for this and it was just problem after problem.

The vision for the character is to summon his weapons at will - pact boon from lvl 3 warlock (pact of the blade)
Now I hade the chance to also take fighter at 1st lvl and rearanged stats for this

str 14
dex 8
con 17
int 10
wis 17
cha 19

We used a variation to get our stats abviously.
Now the problem starts, to make this a good character in combat.
The plan was to have hexblade to use cha modifier for weapons - hexblade lvl 1 get that but the flavour with pact of the blade is what I am after so need atleast 3 lvls.
So the plan was as a hexblade to do this as a melee

Human:
lvl 1 Hexblade - Curse + spells + hex warrior
lvl 2 Hexblade - 2 inovocations (smite + devil's sight)
lvl 3 Hexblade - Pact boon (pact of the blade) + 2nd lvl spells (Can cast darkness now for devil's sight)
lvl 4 Hexblade - ASI (feet elven acc +1 cha to 20)
lvl 5 Hexblade - 3rd lvl spells + 1 inovocation (2nd attack inovocation)

Now with fighter

Human variat:
lvl 1 Fighter - heavy armor + Feat (sniper) + Fighting style (+2 for longbow) + Second wind
lvl 1 Hexblade - Curse + spells + hex warrior
lvl 2 Hexblade - 2 inovocations (smite + devil's sight)
lvl 3 Hexblade - Pact boon (pact of the blade) + 2nd lvl spells (Can cast darkness now for devil's sight)
lvl 4 Hexblade - ASI (elven accuracy +1 cha to 20)
lvl 5 Hexblade - 3rd lvl spells + 1 inovocation (2nd attack inovocation)
lvl 2 Fighter - Action surge
lvl 3 Fighter - Martial Archetype (Samurai for advatage as bonus action if darkness is not an option or spellslots is out or just trade spellslots for smites)
lvl 4 Fighter - ASI
lvl 5 Fighter - Extra attack

First problem now is to remove the 2nd attack from hexblade inovocation, need one more warlock lvl to do so and
I don't see any reason to take hexblade after lvl 5 as I get that specter that I try to avoid - maybe shift around so you get lvl 5 hexblade at lvl 9 and lose the 2nd attack here but pick it up again at lvl 10 from fighter lvl 5?? - IT's a MESS!

New plan to fix lvl 10 Problem

lvl 1 Fighter - heavy armor + Feat (sniper) + Fighting style (+2 Longbow) + Second wind
lvl 1 Hexblade - Curse + spells
lvl 2 Hexblade - 2 inovocations (Smite + 2 attacks)
lvl 3 Hexblade - Pact boon + 2nd lvl spells
lvl 2 Fighter - Action surge
lvl 3 Fighter - Martial Archetype (samurai)
lvl 4 Fighter - ASI (Elven accuracy +1 cha to 20)
lvl 5 Fighter - Extra attack
lvl 4 Hexblade - ASI (Remove 2nd attack from inovocation for something else)
lvl 5 Hexblade - 3rd lvl spells + 1 inovocation

The build suffer from alot of bonus actions also - hex, curse, samurai advantage
You can argue that hex will not be used and try to crit with smite but hex will do more dmg with 2 attacks in a very long fight.
To keep hex is the best option ofc if you face alot of enemies and you can burst atleast one time with a crit/smite with hex up in that fight.

I'm kind of lost in this and realy need help to figure this out, I don't want to faceplant in this build and don't want to lose the cool concept of the hexblade summoning demonic weapons :)

Any thoughts? Ideas? *Cry for help!*