PDA

View Full Version : The Best supplement for me

Lolzords
2007-10-13, 02:47 PM
For Christmas, I decided I'm going to ask for one of the Dungeons and Dragons Supplement books. I was wondering if you guys could help me decide which one to ask for.

Complete Psionics, Warrior and Arcane are all nos, as they're all books that i can get acess to easily. (Tutor has it, friend's have them)

I tend to play dexterity based characters and I play a lot of Rogues.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-13, 02:50 PM
Comp adventure seems a obviose choice. But if you want to go for flavor go the Tomb of Battle, thats always fun. adds alot of flavor and power to your char.

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 02:56 PM
The obvious question is: what do you already own?

SilverClawShift
2007-10-13, 02:57 PM
Complete Scoundrel?

Lolzords
2007-10-13, 02:59 PM
The obvious question is: what do you already own?

I don't, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Also, Complete Adventurer and scoundrel both sound like great ideas, thanks guys.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-13, 02:59 PM
one of the enviroment books maybe, sounds silly but can add a whole new area to expand your character to

triforcel
2007-10-13, 03:01 PM
For supplements I'd say take one of the original four Completes. Obviously if you like dex characters you'll probably prefer Complete Adventurer. Though you might want to consider a campaign world book like Eberron or Forgotten Realms. Really it depends on what your cup of tea is.

KIDS
2007-10-13, 03:08 PM
Seriously, Complete Scoundrel or Complete Adventurer are both very good choices. Tome of Battle is also good but it's not rogue focused though it has a lot of good stuff for all classes and is very flavorful. Complete Champion, despite being divine-themed, has some interesting rogue substitution levels, nice feats and some divine/skillmonkey prestige classes which are rare in D&D.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-13, 03:08 PM
Tome of Battle is a good one, as it basically gives you a magic-ish using melee character. For Rogue dipping, Swordsage is perfect.

Swordsage Level 1 gives you +1 to initiative
if Shadow Hand is your special discipline, you gain free Weapon Focus in all Shadow Hand Weapons (most rogue-ish weapons anyway)
Your Rogue levels count as 1/2 "Initiate" levels, meaning you can select higher level Swordsage abilities based upon your total character level, not just your swordsage level.
Stances of note include "Assassin's Stance"(3rd Level = 1 Swordsage + 4 Rogue levels) which gives you +2d6 to Sneak Attack (melee only), or Island of Blades (1st level - Swordsage 1), which allows you to flank an opponent while being adjacent with an ally, meaning front-stabbing sneak attack goodness
Shadow Blade feat allows you to switch Dexterity for Strength while using the weapons you get the above Weapon Focus for, and so long as you're in a Shadow Hand Stance(such as the two listed above)

What typical level do you play for games? Honestly, ToB's kinda a one-trick pony in some ways, at least if you're more of a rogue and less of a "how a monk / fighter should be" category. They're really good for melee combat, but if you're more of a ranged attacker they're not what you're looking for.

The Complete Series has more bang for your buck probably with a larger array of prestige classes for you. Scoundrel and Adventurer would definitely be a way to go.

Skyserpent
2007-10-13, 03:14 PM
Tome of Battle is pretty good in that it's got the Swordsage, and other awesomeness, as well as some pretty solid grounding in the style of game that 4e is gonna be.

Morty
2007-10-13, 03:16 PM
I belive OP is asking for rogueish books, and ToB doesn't fit that at all. For Dex-based rogueish characters Complete Adventurer is really good, and PHB II has got something good for everyone, including rogues.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-13, 03:20 PM
yes but he is in combat which means i suggest ToB to him, for any material char can get use out of ToB.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-13, 03:45 PM
ToB is great. But I'd personally prefer the Player's Handbook II. It has some of the best feats and classes I've yet seen.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-13, 03:48 PM
ToB is great. But I'd personally prefer the Player's Handbook II. It has some of the best feats and classes I've yet seen.

Seconded for both

Cocky
2007-10-13, 05:23 PM
I actually dig some of the stuff in Frostburn.

ChaosDefender24
2007-10-13, 05:32 PM
PHBII has some really great crunch but absolutely nauseating fluff, do it if you want to go intense on the rogue because not too much of the book will help you but the things in there that can help will help immensely.

Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel are obviously the first choices, as they both deal mainly with the rogue's role in the party.

ToB is a great combat book that everyone in general should own; not only did it change melee in D&D, it's one of the best-written books that I know of, and it can help your rogue fight a little as was stated above.

My personal favorite book of all time is Hordes of the Abyss, but that won't help your rogue.

Jarlax
2007-10-13, 05:57 PM
perhaps races of the wild might interest you. its got a lot of stuff for elves and halflings, who are both very common rouge races as well as a flying race with no LA.

the book also introduces a few races with LAs, the most interesting one being a catgirlFolk which just scream rouge for a +1 LA.

a whole one prestige class might interest you the rest are pretty much caster classes.

i would consider this book in the future but go with the books already suggested before getting this one.

as for the ToB debate, i think it falls in the same category as races of the wild, certainly schools like the tiger fang are appropriate to his play style but the book as a whole is perhaps less relevant compared to complete scoundrel or complete adventurer

Kurald Galain
2007-10-13, 06:35 PM
Go wild and order a White Wolf book :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, setting books are way cooler than crunch-based character option books. I'd go for Forgotten Realms / Eberron / Ravenloft / Dragonlance / whatever you play in, or otherwise find one of the Stormwrack / Sandstorm books.

Draz74
2007-10-13, 06:46 PM
Stuff from Dungeonscape seems to be all the rage for rogue-like characters lately.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-13, 07:02 PM
ninja'ed by draz. I'd buy Dungeonscape just for penetrating strike, since it means rogue will be able to hold his own against constrcuts and undead, and any high level encounter.

AND, it has factotum. Best. Jack. Class. Ever.

Machete
2007-10-13, 07:09 PM
Tome Of Battle is a lot of powergaming cheese mixed in with a lot of good stuff. Kind of complex systems.

Complete Adventurer is good and so is Complete Scoundrel.

As odd as it sounds, Arms and Equipment Guide is really cool because it opens up so MANY equipment options and is a joy for DMs and players alike. Plus, despite being 3.0 it is WELL BALANCED.

If you are looking into a more jack of all trades character, the Factotum is in Dungeonscape, although much of the content is DM oriented.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-13, 07:12 PM
Another one is PHB II. It has Beguiler, 'nuff said. Beguiler is a roguemage who disables traps and uses win buttons.