PDA

View Full Version : No more spell for a non spellcaster

Trandir
2019-09-02, 05:53 PM
Well today I got to try the new magic items and as anticipated coninuous Guidance of the Avatar, Divine Insight with CL 10 and bonus of 25 without magic items allowed me to pass nearly anything (nat 1 still fails checks in this table). Limitless limited wish got nerfed and I had to know that a spell exists in order to copy it, nothing unreasonable really grimoires and scrolls of lv 1 to 6 spells (at minimum CL) are rather cheap so I could become an improvised wizard with some more setup.

In the middle of the session we were helping to free a temple' s high priest in the courtyard , all the other clerics died performing some sort of ritual to protect him, and I found a thief (a pathfinder bladelord on steroid) stealing a gem from the now crumbling temple.
He was not hostile and so I told him do not go in the courtyard. And he did so halfway through I attacked him (failed both attacks with a decent 35 and 40) and the others did too but he convinced them that he was retriving a stolen relic, everybody belived him.

Obv he was stealing a relic and was hired by a demon.

And best of all I and the sorcerer (who tryed to stop him) got robbed. During the night. A sleight of hand check opposed by a wisdom check (you can guess how well that went).

Everything, weapons, magic items, rations, bedrolls, clothes and even the sorcerer's prosthetic arm (the one that maximize the spells damage, but do not worry he got anotherone with the same effect and that has even gems slot that summons a shield). We had nothing left and were forced to pillage the burned remaining of the temple for some clothes.

The DM let's just say that masters on instinct and he blamed me for attacking an otherwise neutral npc. He probably would have let me keep my items if I just continued my scouting while he escaped.

At the end of the quest we got various items and exp and gold (i got a ring of strength +10, masterwork lockpics for open lock and disble device and 1.000.000 gold as everyone else, unfortunately the arteficer will not build any more items for me so I won't have custom items this time).

StevenC21
2019-09-02, 09:24 PM
I'm going to ignore your last paragraph to add my piece.

You have a crappy DM. There's no good instance to just force a player to lose all their stuff, with no way to get it back. If the DM needs to deal with one specific item, then he should talk to the player.

That said, you have wasted nobody's time. This is your crappy DM's fault, not yours.

OGDojo
2019-09-03, 06:26 AM
You have a crappy DM. There's no good instance to just force a player to lose all their stuff, with no way to get it back.

i can think of one. if you get captured by a group of bandits they would devide your stuff amonst them so unless you wanna fight an entire bandit camp you kind have to cut your losses, or if you get kidnapped by slavers and forced to fight in an arena, you lose all your stuff and if the slavers havent sold all of your stuff already you have a chance of recovering at least some of it. these are for STORYLINE purposes where the whole party gets reset back to basic, like if you accidently gave them too much money because the killed a dragon and you accidently quadrupled the hoard total cuz you wanted the reward to be epic but didnt realize that your players were resourceful enough to be like "Oh okay now we have 500k to spend lets break the campaign because we hate our DM!!.... not that it actually happened to me...