PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best use of the DMG II bonding rituals

Jowgen
2019-09-02, 09:12 PM
The Bonding rituals in DMG II essentially gives a character the option to pick one item and upgrade it magically without having to meet feat or spell prerequesites for crafting.

The benefits are easier availability, ability to upgrade/scale the item without issue, and potentially huge GP savings at the cost of some exp.

My question is what everyone would consider the top picks for items to choose for bonding on a given character.

This can be both for particular combinations of weapon/armor special abilities, or wondrous items stacked together, and so forth.

Skysaber
2019-09-09, 03:30 PM
I know my first impulse in such a case is always to aim for capstone items, things I will always have with me. But that doesn't actually add any advantage by these rules.

Probably the best use is to get yourself a wand that offers you a spell not on your list. So, a wizard with a wand of Make Whole, or the paladin's version of Lesser Restoration (so it can be had as a 1st level spell).

There are plenty of psionic powers that people would use if they had them, but don't want to take an unfamiliar class for.

"Only you can use it" says that you can use the bonded item. Ignoring any spell prerequisites says that it need not be a spell available to you on any of your lists. So, best way to use this feat is, in my opinion, to obtain the use of spells otherwise unavailable to you.

Zaq
2019-09-10, 10:19 PM
Hmm. It can be a way to get a weird Truespeak-boosting item that normally just wouldn't be on the open market.

Also, Truebond gives you a spell-like ability with a scaling caster level. Can that be used to qualify for anything?

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-11, 03:11 PM
Hmm. It can be a way to get a weird Truespeak-boosting item that normally just wouldn't be on the open market.

Also, Truebond gives you a spell-like ability with a scaling caster level. Can that be used to qualify for anything?

Obtain familiar?