PDA

View Full Version : Plan for dwarven thrower

KnotaGuru
2019-09-02, 10:03 PM
Say you know the next campaign will have a dwarven thrower, but not until late in the campaign. Would you plan a build specifically with the goal of getting your hands on it? If so, what build would you make?

J-H
2019-09-02, 10:11 PM
Obviously I'd build an elf and work on acquiring a steady supply of dwarves to throw.

HappyDaze
2019-09-02, 10:14 PM
Say you know the next campaign will have a dwarven thrower, but not until late in the campaign. Would you plan a build specifically with the goal of getting your hands on it? If so, what build would you make?

Step 1: Play a dwarf.
Step 2: Play something with a high Strength (Fighter, Paladin, or even a Cleric with the Life Domain).
Step 3: Enjoy a +3 weapon that does an extra die of damage on a throw.

You'll note that none of those is really optimized for the weapon, but they can all make good use of it.

RingoBongo
2019-09-02, 10:35 PM
I am making a inquisitive rogue with a war cleric dip for my next campaign. He would enjoy said weapon as long as it were able to finesse or ranged (ie. Not javalin or handaxe or... Whatever else doesn't work with sneak attack)

Kane0
2019-09-02, 11:08 PM
Probably a dwarven paladin. IDS at level 11 as well as Branding Smite and Banishing Smite work with a thrown weapon attack, plus depending on subclass you could have something like Hunter's Mark which works too.

Either that or a Barbarian. Both Ancestral and Zealot have things that work with thrown weapon attacks even if Rage doesn't

GlenSmash!
2019-09-02, 11:36 PM
If your campaign goes past level 11 then Fighter's extra attack will allow for the most throws with the hammer. Battlemaster will give you maneuvers that can work at range.

BoutsofInsanity
2019-09-03, 03:46 AM
Check this out.

Dwarf fighter with high str. You want +5.

Archer fighting style.

sharpshooter.

Your to hit bonus when throwing becomes just your str and your prof which is plenty high.

Your damage output becomes 2d8+18 per throw or increased accuracy for 2d8+8

If you can pick up dueling fighting style the dm might rule in your favor (I would) and do +10/+20 damage per throw.

KnotaGuru
2019-09-03, 07:32 AM
Check this out.

Dwarf fighter with high str. You want +5.

Archer fighting style.

sharpshooter.

Your to hit bonus when throwing becomes just your str and your prof which is plenty high.

Your damage output becomes 2d8+18 per throw or increased accuracy for 2d8+8

If you can pick up dueling fighting style the dm might rule in your favor (I would) and do +10/+20 damage per throw.

Archery fighting style and sharpshooter won't work with the dwarven thrower because it's not a ranged weapon. Dueling FS would indeed work though since it's a melee weapon wielded in one hand.

Sigreid
2019-09-03, 07:46 AM
Archery fighting style and sharpshooter won't work with the dwarven thrower because it's not a ranged weapon. Dueling FS would indeed work though since it's a melee weapon wielded in one hand.

This is true RAW but I will say my table decided to allow both to apply to thrown weapons.

Basticus
2019-09-03, 12:33 PM
It's not particularly groundbreaking or min-max-y, so I'm not sure if you'd want to plan for this specifically, but my Dwarven Thrower has been a lovely addition for my Dwarven Tempest Cleric 9/Shadow Sorcerer 2 (RP-wise, Shadow Sorc levels taken after being resurrected by a "helpful" lich). The Sorcerer multiclass has allowed me to take Booming Blade, which I'm finding is a great combo with the thrower - especially for a class that doesn't have multiple melee attacks. So now, for any turn where I'm not laying down the epic thunder damage, the shiny hammer is a nice bump from being stuck with Sacred Flame as an at-will attack. (character created pre-XGTE, and I haven't convinced the DM to let me upgrade to Toll the Dead yet).

Sacred Flame at lvl 11 is 3d8, avg dmg 13.5 (Toll the Dead is closer to parity at 19.5 avg)

With STR of 16, at range the Thrower is +10 to hit, 3d8+6 damage (weapon + throwing bonus + divine strike), avg dmg 19.5
In melee, +10 to hit, 4d8+6 damage (weapon + divine strike + booming blade), avg dmg 24
** plus, attacks with the hammer can crit, and there's always the chance of your opponent moving and getting whacked with the extra Booming Blade damage.
** plus plus, with one more level in Sorcerer I can start twinning Booming Blades, if that tickles my beard at that particular moment.

At a level where Fighters are getting their 3rd attack, it certainly makes me feel like I'm able to contribute a little more every turn... at least, it tides me over until I can step into the middle of a mob with a maxed out Destructive Wave or two : )

Plus, the Mjolnir vibe on a Tempest Cleric is pretty damn glorious!

Basticus
2019-09-03, 12:54 PM
It's not particularly groundbreaking or min-max-y, so I'm not sure if you'd want to plan for this specifically, but my Dwarven Thrower has been a lovely addition for my Dwarven Tempest Cleric 9/Shadow Sorcerer 2 (RP-wise, Shadow Sorc levels taken after being resurrected by a "helpful" lich). The Sorcerer multiclass has allowed me to take Booming Blade, which I'm finding is a great combo with the thrower - especially for a class that doesn't have multiple melee attacks. So now, for any turn where I'm not laying down the epic thunder damage, the shiny hammer is a nice bump from being stuck with Sacred Flame as an at-will attack. (character created pre-XGTE, and I haven't convinced the DM to let me upgrade to Toll the Dead yet).

Sacred Flame at lvl 11 is 3d8, avg dmg 13.5 (Toll the Dead is closer to parity at 19.5 avg)

With STR of 16, at range the Thrower is +10 to hit, 3d8+6 damage (weapon + throwing bonus + divine strike), avg dmg 19.5
In melee, +10 to hit, 4d8+6 damage (weapon + divine strike + booming blade), avg dmg 24
** plus, attacks with the hammer can crit, and there's always the chance of your opponent moving and getting whacked with the extra Booming Blade damage.

At a level where Fighters are getting their 3rd attack, it certainly makes me feel like I'm able to contribute a little more every turn... at least, it tides me over until I can step into the middle of a mob with a maxed out Destructive Wave or two : )

Plus, the Mjolnir vibe on a Tempest Cleric is pretty damn glorious!