PDA

View Full Version : Power of Chaos [IC Thread]

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-13, 03:33 PM
A gnoll, a hadozee, a halfling, and a pair of humans make for a very odd group. Particularly when the gnoll is carrying a pack full of cooking supplies, the hadozee is being followed around by a walking chest, and everyone but the hadozee is decked out in mithral armor. For a thief, they'd be a virtual gold mine. Except for the fact that they're standing amid a group of armed pirates-turned-merchants.

The five of you stand amid the other fifteen survivors of the crash, twenty all together. If you look about, you'll immediately notice the bright white walls of the city of Ankah in the distance, no doubt built to protect the bustling capital from invaders. You stand in the middle of the city's square, among a small grouping of houses in the residental district. Local authorities, after you proved that you had crashed your last airship, pointed you toward a large inn situated somewhere in this section of town.

Unfortunately, they didn't give you a map.

You've been wandering around the city for the last hour and a half, searching for the "Fool's Requiem" inn, bar, and brothel. Luckily for you all, however, the owner of the Fool's Requiem isn't smart enough not to advertise the brothel part.

You're now sitting amid the common room of the Fool's Requiem. The firstmate is arguing with the owner about getting rooms for twenty people, but he's quickly upset by the amount of money they would need to house everyone there for the next three months of repairs. Philly, the firstmate, approaches you all and politely informs you of the cost.

Innkeepers. Blackgutted pond-scum if you ask me. He's demanding a ransom for housin' us! He's lookin' fer fifteen hundred(1500) for the first two weeks! In my day, we killed men like him.. Well you lot need to get to work!

The firstmate yells that last part at the entirety of the crew, which includes yourselves. It appears that you need to find work, and damn good paying work at that!

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 03:50 PM
"1500?" Toryn lets out a low whistle at that.

Toryn is about average size for a young halfling man. His red hair is long, and currently kept in a simply pony-tail beneath his green bandanna. His face has angular features, with a pointed chin and nose, with thin, chapped lips between them. As is usual with young, athletic halflings, he has a thin and wiry build with well toned muscles. He wears a simple green shirt over his chain shirt that matches the tight bandanna. He wears plain leather leggings that completely cover his legs, and simple, well-worn boots. Over all of this, he wears an unassuming, heavy cloak that actually covers the rest of his body down to his ankles completely.

"That includin' a visit to the brothel e'ry night or somethin'? No offense to our gracious host an' 'is, ah, 'workers,' but I usually prefer m' ladies shorter 'n I can probably get 'em 'ere, an' more int'rested in a good time 'an my money, yeah?" He puts on a silly grin as he speaks.

dr.cello
2007-10-13, 06:35 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"Mind if I try to negotiate?" offers Riona to the first mate, an amused smirk on her lips. "I've got a way with people." Without waiting for a response, she makes her way over to the owner. "Listen. This ship was in the employ of my father." She flashes her signet ring at the man. "He's a very wealthy, very influential man. Now, he'll find us soon enough, and if he doesn't he'll find out where we've stayed when we get back to him. He's a firm believer in rewarding those who are generous--especially to his daughter and her companions. Now, you give us a better deal, help us out when we're in trouble, and I guarantee you he'll make it worth your while."

Rollin', rollin', rollin':

(choose whichever seems appropriate, or both if you like)
Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

And for the record, the signet ring wouldn't help to identify her. It's a fairly recent creation.

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-13, 08:16 PM
The innkeeper is dressed rather lowly, like a man trying to appear like he has less money than he really does. He smiles and claps once Riona mentions that her father is a very wealthy man.

Ah! I'm sorry, Ms. I apologize for offering you the basic rooms.. If you're father is that wealthy, then you'll want the suites! Why, luckily for you I have a single suite free. I'll just need you to pay for your suite and your friend's rooms.

That will be three thousand(3000) gold then!

Telling someone you have more money than you really do isn't the best bargaining chip when dealing with the greedy. It's like saying "Hey, I'm friends with the Emperor of Earth." when you're being held hostage. :smallbiggrin:

dr.cello
2007-10-13, 08:26 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"I think you misunderstand," responds Riona patiently. "You will charge us nothing more than five hundred for the rooms, for the duration of our stay, and I'll tell my father you were a kind and generous innkeeper who requires compensation, and I promise you he'll make your generosity worth your while."

Keep them d20's rollin':

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-13, 08:57 PM
The innkeeper, at this rather poor second attempt, frowns deeply.

Miss. I've been as accomodating as possible for a group of riff-raff who want rooms in my inn. Now, I'm willing to give your friends their rooms at fifteen hundred like I offered your first mate. But I'd rather you didn't try to bargain me down when you just informed me of your father's wealth. I certainly know that no man of pedigree would let his daughter walk around with less than the amount I'm offering to your friends.

Theres a reason Diplomacy retries aren't encouraged.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 09:19 PM
Toryn follows Riona as she keeps moving, his footfalls nearly silent. As negotiations go sour, he jumps up and pats Riona on the shoulder, and begins saying loudly, "Thank ya for your kindness, sir, we'll be takin' that offer a' 1,500 gladly." Into Riona's ear, he whispers, "Now, walk away, before things get worse, yeah?" All the while, he has a big grin on his face.

Move Silently: (1d20+14=34) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314963)

pingcode20
2007-10-13, 09:30 PM
Red
"A good chef never goes without a job." responds Red, adjusting his hat slightly and smiling, before turning around and noticing the scene Riona is making, at which point his smile promptly vanishes.

Walking up behind his colleague, he reaches down and picks Rinoa up by the back of the neck gently, and lifts her into the air. "I think you've done quite enough damage for one day." he said, as he carried Rinoa back to the rest of the group.

warbacon
2007-10-14, 01:37 AM
Gregor

Gregor kept quiet while Riona tried her ill-fated attempt of diplomacy, his arms folded across his chest and his right hand playing with his lower lip. "Hrmph. If zere is von ting I've learned from za city streets, it's zat you don't try to con an innkeep out of his fee. Sometimes, you vake ap with large men standing over your bed. Not pretty, I assure you." He bows his head, and takes a few meandering steps. His build is slight, but tall. Bony cheeks, a neatly trimmed goatee, and fairly long black hair swept back haphazardly complete a somewhat sinister look. "But no matter. As for ze gold, I have some put avay for such an occasion, but I vould enjoy contributing in other vays. My arcane abilities are very situation-specific, however. Perhaps ... someone needs some pesky critters disposed ov? Some dangerous verk?" He ***** an eye at the innkeeper, who he is sure has been listening.

dr.cello
2007-10-14, 09:31 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"If there's one thing I've learned from the road, it's that innkeepers are lacking in neither gold nor cupidity, and taking the opportunity to con them out of 'their fee' is practically a public service. Unfortunately, our friend is too stupid for fast-talking. Always another way, though, even if it's less artful." Riona shrugs, and waves a dismissive hand. "No matter. I'm good at making opportunity present itself. Oh, and Red? Fair warning, never do that again. It'll be better for everyone."

pingcode20
2007-10-14, 07:04 PM
Red
"You can ply your trade on an innkeeper who isn't quite so greedy. This is a big city, we can take our business elsewhere. Oh, and Rinoa? Fair warning: Never mention your heritage to a merchant again. It'll be better for everyone." responds, Red, without even the slightest hint of a smile.

dr.cello
2007-10-14, 07:43 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"And why should I refrain from a tactic which has worked wonders in the past? Thanks for the advice, but I think--know--I'm better at this than you." Riona sighs. "Stick with something you're good at."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-14, 08:27 PM
"...Says the lady who nearly doubled the price a' our stay." Toryn's grin turns impish. "No 'fense love, but you're failin' to impress me thus far, yeah? You keep mention a' your family to a minimum 'ere; more likely to get a dagger in your back 'an a good deal for it."

His grin vanishes for a moment, and he starts counting on his fingers. "1500 gold, 20 a' us, minus a first mate who can't do squat... Round it all off... ya get something like 75, 80 gold per person. For two weeks" His expression turns sour as he says, "By th' Hells, I think I'd rather sleep outside." With a sigh, he says, "Well, so it goes. Maybe 'ere's some ruins or somethin' to check out, somethin' to get th' blood pumpin', yeah?" At this point, he's talking more to himself as he walks out of the inn.

Rolls:If no one has anything else to do with Toryn in the immediate future, Toryn's going to go hunting for information.
Gather Information: (1d20+2=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1316222)
And do pretty good at it, too!
[edit]Forgot the time roll; Gather Info (Time): (1d4+1=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1316616)

dr.cello
2007-10-14, 08:38 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"It's hardly my fault the innkeeper's an idiot. Anyway, that was not 'mentioning my family,' that was 'outright lying.' There is a difference. It's a basic principle of con artistry: tell lies."

pingcode20
2007-10-14, 10:37 PM
Red
"'A professional can always deal with fools'. Even if I am a chef, and not a con artist like yourself. Fair warning, it would also do you well not to mention that you are a con artist within earshot of the innkeeper." returns Red, standing up and following Toryn out.

"We can find accomodations elsewhere. They might be smaller, and less comfortable, but I would prefer to retain my arms and legs. A thousand gold pieces could buy us a house."

pingcode20
2007-10-14, 10:42 PM
((Sorry about double post, need to make a roll))
Red
Leaving the 'Fool's Requiem' (a fitting name, he thought), Red ventured out into the large city, with whoever else would follow, hunting for other inns and accommodations. He wanted to find cheap examples, but any would do.

After exploring the city for a few hours, he returned to the Fool's Requiem - hopefully with good news. Unfortunately, he emerged from his explorations empty handed, the peoples' prejudices against gnolls (probably rightly so, but it was bothersome all the same) limiting his ability to track down inns.

[roll0]
[roll1]

dr.cello
2007-10-14, 11:40 PM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona, naturally, is not stupid enough to talk loudly enough for the innkeeper to overhear. "I really don't have time to discuss the delicate nuances of social interaction with someone whose idea of wit is to incessantly repeat phrases someone else used. So, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night." She sighs and stands up. "Anyone else care to insult me, belittle me, or express doubts about my abilities based on a single failure to accomplish something none of you even bothered to attempt? Fair's fair, right? I'd feel bad if I didn't let everyone else have a try. Or, you can let me go find something useful to do."

She five beats or so before walking out the door, unless someone actually takes her up on her rhetorical offer.

Once on the streets, she'll make her way for the city center, generally keeping an eye out for anything interesting (as defined in the book of scoundrels, thieves, ne'er-do-wells, and highwaymen as 'something which looks like it has the potential to provide a substantial payout'), and asking the occasional question to see if anyone can guide her to more interesting places.

Rollin', rollin', rollin', rawhide:

Gather info: [roll0]
Time: [roll1]
She's really more looking at businesses and buildings which either look like breaking into or like they would be worth a further investigation--the gather info is intended as a supplement to that rather than actually asking people 'what's the best place to break into?' because that would just be silly. I'm not sure what the appropriate roll would be.

warbacon
2007-10-15, 12:11 AM
Gregor

It was clear that this group was lively; Gregor didn't like lively all that much. He liked things that worked. And things that brought him closer to his personal goal of ultimate eldritch power. Or money ... Money was good, too.

He was about to take up Riona's offer but decided against it. Man hath felt no wrath like a woman scorned, he thought. Instead, he went outside to search for the town square and find something to do. Philly's decision to pay for two weeks' worth at in the inn was a clear signal that they were staying here for a while, and even though he could pay his part of the bill handily, boredom was a cruel mistress. Zere has to be someone in need of my talents ...

Gregor is looking for work/rumors of the "there's bandits in the woods" or "so-and-so needs help getting their sister back" and whatnot.

[roll0]
[roll1]

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-15, 02:35 AM
Unfortunately for Riona, she's got little in terms of worth breaking into. There are a few shops in the merchant's quarter, but the streets are rather heavily guarded against cut-purses. A shop that's selling various magical items catches the young thief's eye, but common sense tells her not to provoke the wizard who can actually make all these items.

Toryn, however, finds himself in a much better predicament. He stumbles into a local guild workshop where men and women post job offers. He immediately looks for an adventurous offer and strikes it rich. It seems that a well-to-do nobleman is looking for a refractor on cheap, and isn't interested in going through the usual circles. So he's hiring out promising individuals to scout out a ruin two day's march south of the city. The job pays three thousand gold up front and gives salvage rights to everything but the refractor.

Gregor bumps into Toryn as the halfling is leaving a rather squat, squarish building. Upon entering it, the man immediately notices that the building is some sort of guild workshop that sells contracts for work. Looking at the highest paying offer brings a slight tear to his eye. A rather well-to-do nobleman is looking for a refractor on cheap, and isn't interested in going through the usual circles. So he's hiring out promising individuals to scout out a ruin two day's march south of the city. The job pays three thousand gold up front and gives salvage rights to everything but the refractor.

The other job offers are small change; 100 gold to find a lost locket, 10 gold to find a lost pet, even a 10 silver reward for finding a lost shoe..

pingcode20
2007-10-15, 02:54 AM
((You really ought to actually say when you're taking precautions rather than retroactively doing so.))

Red
"This, from someone who blamed the innkeeper for her own failure?"

---

Red returns empty handed, and shrugs.

"This city just doesn't like gnolls." he says, taking a seat back with the rest of the survivors. "How did you fare, Toryn?" he asked, not asking Rinoa for the simple reason that she left after he did and arrived before he returned.

((EDIT: @Dr. cello: Actually, I'd probably say that simple precautions are rather important - We haven't really fully established the day to day manner of the characters, and minor details like this are important. Until just before I had no idea whether Riona was keeping her voice down or just talking normally. It's hardly pedantism, really.

It's something which could actually prove to change the position the group is in with regards to the innkeeper.))

dr.cello
2007-10-15, 06:03 AM
((I sort of assumed nobody would make a big deal of it because it's the sort of thing that you only pay attention to whilst being excessively pedantic and/or trying to one-up people.))

Riona Lochlainn
Riona decides to pay the shop a visit anyway--interesting comes in more than just the most obvious of solutions. She'll ask if the owner/proprietor is available and, in the event he is, ask if he has need of any services, suggesting more than outright stating that she (and her companions, but the emphasis on their existence is minor at best) could provide useful service in the fields of 'acquisition' of difficult-to-reach relics, and as mercenaries. If he expresses no interest she'll thank him for his time and provide instructions for contacting her in the event he does require her services.

Just roll and throw and brand 'em:

The bluff check is only in the event the DM feels it's necessary; she isn't lying or trying to rip off the wizard. I should probably add that the ultimate goal of this is more establishing friendly contact and/or working relationship with the wizard more than looking for employment, but the two tend to go hand-in-hand.
Diplomacy: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-15, 07:34 AM
Toryn greets Red with the usual grin and a thumbs up. Keeping his voice low so that no one else would overhear him, he says, "Far as I'm concerned, I hit th' jackpot. Kinda dangerous, but 3,000 gold plus almost all the spoils a' th' hunt. Someone 'round 'ere's lookin' for a refractor in some nearby ruins. I's figurin' on roundin' up a few a' th' crew 'n' takin' a looksee, yeah? Figure it's better 'an waitin' around 'ere with first mate loud-mouth, anyways. Int'rested?"

warbacon
2007-10-15, 11:25 AM
Gregor

Coming out from the guild hall, Gregor walks towards the Fool's Requiem with renewed vigor. Precisely zhe job I vas looking vor. He starts a mental checklist: Rich noble, check. Dangerous cargo, check. Avay from zhe city, check. Salvage rights, check. Rag-tag band of adventurers ... ve'll have to gazher zhose. Also vind a healer. People eye at the grinning dark man strangely as he counts something off on his fingers. He can tell that some of them are making him for a mark -- which reminds him, Ah yes ... that 'noble child' ... she vill be useful. Toryn must have read that notice. Garsh knows refractors, ve'll need him. And zhe gnoll...

I presume the job listing had contact info for the well-to-do noble; otherwise it'll be hard to, y'know, get the job. If not, Gregor isn't walking out of the Guild Hall without that information.

Does the surviving crew include a cleric or druid who isn't totally occupied tending to the sick and wounded? We're going to need a healer if we're going two days south: dem's lion country.

Gregor is heading back to the inn, where he'll report his findings to the aforementioned people and Philly, and suggest we group up and approach the noble.

pingcode20
2007-10-15, 05:26 PM
Red
Sitting down, Red leans over to listen closely. "Sounds like a plan. Once we have money, we could probably make an arrangement with a less greedy innkeeper." he whispers back, nodding.

"Three thousand gold, straight up... Was there anything else?" whispers Red, wondering if the noble wanted anything else.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-15, 05:53 PM
"Like I said," Toryn begins, keeping his voice low still, "guy's lookin' for 'imself a refractor. Th' jobs s'posed to be 'bout scouting, but if we find one 'ee gets claim to it. Anythin' else we find in 'ere's ours, if I read 'at notice right." Toryn shrugs. "Sounds like a pretty good deal t' me. I'm figuring you, Gregor, me, an' a coupla' other a' the uninjured mates get together an' 'ave a go at it, yeah? I'm figurin' we keep 'at spoilsport Philly outta it, meself."

OOC: Toryn'd have either the contact information memorized, or just note how to get back to the guild hall to get the notice again. Either way works for me.

PolkaBear
2007-10-16, 01:25 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh looked up from his interminable tinkering with the walking footlocker he called "The Luggage"* to hear the report from the other crewmates. He hooted softly to himself as he ran black-skinned fingers through the shaggy hair at his neck.

"And I suppose the lot o' you will be wanting to run off into this strange place so that you're more easily killed and eaten by whatever beastie calls it home, eh? Ever wonder why it's called a ruin, instead of 'haven' or 'picnic spot' or 'scenic overlook'? It's 'cause there's something with the power to demolish a thing and make it uninhabitable."

"Course, there's plenty waiting around here to skin us alive, too." He shot the innkeeper a dark look. "Might as well take the work, if it's the best of the bad lot."

You can tell by the way he sets to work making sure that all the supplies are in order that he's actually looking forward to the prospect.

*The name is intended to be an homage to, not rip-off from, Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series.

warbacon
2007-10-16, 02:10 AM
Gregor

"Ahh come off ov it, Garsh my vriend. It vill be fun!" Despite being well aware of Garsh's interest in the adventure, Gregor thought it best to keep up appearances. As for his own preparations, Gregor carried all of his worldly possessions in his haversack, but there might be one item that would be useful: "Garsh, do you happen to be carrying a refractor shard? Red? Toryn? I do not vant to find myself in zhe voods tained by Chaos."

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-16, 02:39 AM
Riona

The wizard, a rather homely old elf with a thick head of untamed hair, greets Riona quietly. He doesn't need much done at the moment, other than delivering a letter to a friend. He hands you five platnium pieces, the letter, and a small glowing silver stone. When asked what the stone is, he simply replies that it will "keep you safe from darkness". He then explains to you how to get to the small little hamlet his friend lives in. Apparently the hamlet, Curisshaven, is a day and a half march south of Ankah.

Everyone else

Searching for a cleric or druid proves fruitless. The pastor, Reverend Michael Del'zan, was never found among the wreckage of the ship. So far, only a few of the ship's mates are willing to go with you. Most of them hear the word 'ruin' and immediately experience their natural instinct of self-preservation kick in. The two that are willing to go are the Navigator, Drass Undan, and one of the Sailors, Claire Idellburn. Both are already armed with bows and armored in leather.

Now there was just the problem of finding Riona..

No cleric, but you do gain a tracker and an archer.

pingcode20
2007-10-16, 02:48 AM
Red
"Of course I am carrying a shard! Did you not get one while we were at port last time?" asks Red, raising an eyebrow.

"Alright, who else doesn't have a refractor?" he asks, then, realising he was the only one who actually made a point to carry a protective shard, sighed, and placed his head in his palms. "Do you at least have enough food?" he murmurs into his hands, shaking his head. It would be far harder than he thought.

All of a sudden, a thought occurs to him. "Say, Toryn, you haven't already put our names down for the job, right?"

dr.cello
2007-10-16, 05:42 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"I'll see this delivered presently. Thank you." Riona safely stows the coins, letter, and stone (the latter in her pocket, the rest in her backpack) and withdraws, making her way back to the inn.

Upon her return to the inn, she seeks out Garsh. "Garsh, I've picked up a little something I'd like you to take a look at, if you don't mind. I think it might be important." She does not mention the letter as of yet, but she flashes the stone at him briefly and surreptitiously, so as to make it difficult for anyone else to spot. "So, anyone find anything 'interesting?'"

My heart's calculatin' some rolls will be waitin':

I'd like to do a Sense Motive check to get a hunch about the wizard's general disposition, if possible:
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Taking 10 on Sleight of Hand for showing Garsh-and-only-Garsh the stone comes out to 23, if that's necessary.

pingcode20
2007-10-16, 06:59 AM
Not even going to bother trying to beat the DC 23. There's still some levels to go before I can fill out the ranks I missed from the Humanoid levels.

Red
"Well, Riona, do you have a Refractor Shard?" asks Red in response, leaning back in his chair.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-16, 11:30 AM
Toryn nods and gives a small salute to Drass and Claire. "Well, welcome to th' group. The more the merrier, I say."

With that, he turns to shrugs. "Keep in mind, I was preparin' for pirates an' such, not for ruin crawlin'. Shards aren't a big deal on a ship and typically the chef is responsible for th' food. So, in short, no, I ain't got either. I do 'ave enough money to get me some rations, 'ough. An' I ain't put our names down fer th' job yet; 'at'd be rude to do 'at without askin' the rest a' you, yeah?"

Spot vs. Sleight of Hand: (1d20+8=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1318753)
Wah, wah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

pingcode20
2007-10-16, 06:26 PM
Red
Red pats his huge, almost overstuffed backpack. "You're right on that count. I've got five days worth in here for all six of us. I'll need to go and buy more cutlery, though. I couldn't save all that much from the ship."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-16, 06:29 PM
Toryn speaks up at this. "If ya need a couple gold, I'll help ya out with 'at, 'specially if ya got th' food for us. Though, I think we should carry more 'an 'at."

pingcode20
2007-10-16, 07:04 PM
Red
"Well, everybody chip in a couple of gold pieces, and I'll go buy the food. Toryn, you've got a bit of a nose for this city, could you come along and give me a hand with tracking down some good suppliers?"

It was an entirely fair suggestion - anybody could buy ninety meal portions from any old traveller's store, but it took a chef to go out and get the quality stuff.

dr.cello
2007-10-16, 07:51 PM
Riona

"No. It's never been a problem in the past." Riona shrugs, and taps her chin idly in thought. "Where are you lot off to that needs cooking? Is the food here that bad?" Given the smirk on her lips it seems entirely unlikely that she missed the part about ruin-crawling.

Roll:

Trying to see if I remember encountering any good looking food shops in the city center (I assume intelligence is appropriate):
Intelligence: [roll0]

warbacon
2007-10-16, 08:40 PM
Gregor

It's clear that preparations are already underway, so Gregor takes a seat. "No, no, I have faith in our chef. I am somevhat vorried, however, by zhe fact zhat multiple refractor shards intervere wizh each ozher, shortening zhe lengzh of time zhey are effective. If ve have, vhat, 5 shards? .. Zhat von't last us to zhe ruins and back."

PolkaBear
2007-10-17, 12:44 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Here, let me take a look at that there."

[roll0] to see if it has a magic aura.
If he finds one, he will pull out his Artificer's Monocle and examine it more thoroughly to determine its magical properties.

PolkaBear
2007-10-17, 12:47 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

The hadozee shrugs. "Just a pretty rock, as far as I can see."

He goes back to checking his supplies. "I have a limited number of rations in The Luggage here. I guess if I had enough time and the right supplies I could whip together something that could supply us with food magically; but I can't do nothing if you don't give me some warning."

pingcode20
2007-10-17, 04:04 AM
Red
If the gnoll chef was drinking anything, he would have made a spit-take at that point. "Magically Replenishing Food Supplies?" he exclaims, incredulously. "You would subsist on that wet parchment?"

dr.cello
2007-10-17, 04:23 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"Huh. Thanks, Garsh." Riona pockets the rock again. "I've lived on worse. I usually carry worse." Riona shrugs. "There's a store selling rations down the street, though. Passed it while I was giving the town a shufti. Might be worth checking out at least until Garsh knocks something together for the road."

pingcode20
2007-10-17, 07:14 AM
Red
"Anybody can find a store selling stale bread and salt meat for sixteen copper a piece. Point me at at a good market and I can get real food that lasts just as long with that sixteen copper."

Granted, such food usually wasn't immediately edible or particularly platable before preparation, but Red was already carrying most of a perfectly passable campground kitchen in his pack, and good food never hurts when on the road.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-17, 09:19 AM
"I can live on worse too, aye, but 'ere's no reason to when you don't have to. Wasn't 'zactly lookin' for food when I 'as out, though, so I ain't remembrin' any place 'at looked so good for 'at." Toryn puts his arms behind his head and ends with, "Still, be happy to 'elp you look."

Rolls:As it may be needed...
Gather Information: (1d20+2=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1320728)
Time: (1d4+1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1320731)(aw hell)

PolkaBear
2007-10-17, 09:56 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh grunted. "It's not like I'd give you Murlynd's spoon, Mr. Haute Cuisine. Think of it as an ever-replenishing larder from which you can pull supplies for your precious pots and pans. I'm not such a fool as to pass up your cooking. Forget it now, though: not enough time."

warbacon
2007-10-17, 12:21 PM
Gregor

Standing up, Gregor claps a hand on Garsh's shoulder. "I agree. Ve should go find zhat noble and present ourselves as zhe solution to his problem. And kwickly, before some vone else does." Letting go, he walks with a determined stride to the door, and steps aside to indicate that they should pass through the portal. "Ve can go shopping later, as it shouldn't take long." He extends his right hand towards the door and bows ever so slightly.

pingcode20
2007-10-17, 07:33 PM
Red
"Some sort of magical cooler would be better. Ingredients aren't that expensive, and magically conjured food lacks variety. The real obstacle is food being perishable, not lack of carrying space."

Standing, Red began to follow Gregor to the door.

"But I agree. Provisioning and other necessities of preparing an expedition can come later. Let's just secure the job first."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-17, 07:41 PM
Toryn nods. "Pro'lly a better idea, yeah." With that, he falls in line.

warbacon
2007-10-17, 07:51 PM
Gregor

Lifting his torso back up, Gregor is pleased that he made a good decision. "By zhe vay ... I'm not very familiar vit zhis town. Perhaps ve ask a townsperson? Or a ... guard?" He raises an eyebrow.

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-18, 02:20 AM
The group makes their way to the address given to the guildmaster. They come to a tall, castle-like structure that stands about a half-mile outside of town. The building, looking more like a fortress than a home, stands as a testament to a time when war engulfed the land. As the group passes over the drawbridge, Red and Garsh immediately notices that the moat has several dark shadows moving about inside it.

The group is led into the primary waiting room, where a sharply dressed man sits in a high-back chair. He sips a thick red liquid, possibly wine, and addresses you all plainly. His dark red coat and matching breeches seem to dance with each sip of his drink.

I trust you are the gentlemen, and lady, who are taking on my job? Good. Good. As I said on my notice, I am willing to pay 3,000 up front and give you salvage rights to everything but the refractor. Are you fine with this payment? Do you need any further information besides a map to the ruin in question?

pingcode20
2007-10-18, 02:51 AM
Red
Red wasn't sure when Riona had decided to come along, but she had somehow worked her way into the expedition. Negotiations were not his strong point, but he glared at Riona. She had already caused enough trouble with the innkeeper, and the term 'artist' seemed ill fitting for her.

Some con artist. Nearly doubling the accomodation fees.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-18, 11:51 AM
Toryn nods. "Sounds pretty good to me, sir. Any information on th' ruins you 'ave now'd be nice to know..."

warbacon
2007-10-18, 01:50 PM
Gregor

"Indeed. If you have any information as to hoo built zhe ruins and vhy zhey are ruins and not currently inhabited ve vould much appreciate it. Also vhy are you paying so much for the job? Do you, perhaps, expect us to encounter much resistance?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-18, 04:25 PM
To say that I don't expect resistance would be a bold-faced lie, my friends. Recently, a small tribe of savages have encroached upon the excavation site I originally mapped out. So far, my archaeological team only scratched the surface of the ruin before they soon found themselves with arrows protruding from vital places.

As for why it is a ruin, or what purpose it serves, I do not know. I do know, however, that a large amount of eldritch energy is coming from the ruin's bowels. Enough energy has radiated from the place that I believe a refractor is there; a clean and obviously working one no less. Thus, why I hired you and why I'm paying you so much gold up front. I do have a small map leading to the ruin, but nothing else that could directly aid you in your excavations.

PolkaBear
2007-10-18, 09:45 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh clacked his teeth together. "A clean, working refractor? You'd be purchasing it on the cheap for just three thousand. Even when you can get 'em, the Guild makes you pay through the nose. Money up-front is a risk on your part, but still..."

He turned to the others. "Once the ship's repaired, we'll need a refractor of our own. Might be that the best way to get one is to go into the ruins for ourselves."

He looked back at the man as if measuring him, then shrugged. "And with these 'savages,' besides. Is there any other reason why we might want to risk our necks for your benefit?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-19, 05:35 AM
That, my hadozee companion, is why I am allowing you full salvage rights ontop of the money I'm paying upfront. Further, I expect that you aren't quite too well equipped after a spectacle like the one you put on this morning. I'm assuming, of course, that you are the airship crash survivors, given that a gnoll is among you. Either way.. The money I'm paying is good, and if I'm right about that refractor..

Then that would mean that ruin is from before the Age of Chaos. It might contain valuable and ancient artifacts beyond the refractor itself. If it does, however, they are no business of mine..

But if you feel that you need the refractor for yourselves, then I can find another petitioner to search those ruins for me.

The man gives a devilish smile. at that last comment. Time definitely wasn't on your side.

pingcode20
2007-10-19, 05:51 AM
Red
Red speaks up with another question, reasoning that barring a phenomenally unwise person, the noble would have a vested interest in the people he is sending out being happy about the arrangements. With this in mind, the gnollish chef asked a perfectly reasonable question in a tone suggestive of someone taught common by a language teacher.

Besides, if the noble was a despicable person, the 'eldritch energy' could always 'turn out to not be a refractor' after all...

"I have only one request. Do you know of any innkeepers who would charge a fair price for two month's board?"

Leaning over to Garsh, Red elbowed him gently (though it still feels somewhat firm, owing to the gnoll's strength) in the side, and whispers out of the side of his mouth. "If you wanted to do that we could have done it without coming here..."

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-19, 06:39 AM
The man makes a great show of stroking his clean-shaven chin, as if he were thinking quite heavily on the subject at hand.

Hmm.. I suppose I could.. Yes. If you procure this refractor for me, I will house the seven of you here at my home for two months. Free of charge, of course.

pingcode20
2007-10-19, 06:49 AM
Red
Red raises an eyebrow, and looks back at Drass and Claire, presumably either forgotten by the DM or overlooked by the noble.

"Unfortunately, sir, there are a full score of us that will need to be housed, so if you could point us in the direction of fairly priced rooms we will not need to waste any of your time finding affordable board ourselves."

dr.cello
2007-10-19, 09:17 AM
((That's odd. No notification whatever about any of these new posts. But since nobody explained what was going on we can just assume she was taking a back seat and generally looking smug.))

Riona Lochlainn

"Sounds wonderful." Riona smirks. "More to the point, we will most decidedly not require accommodations while we are out of town, yes? Which is to say, it is something which does not require our benefactor's immediate attention, should he offer his aid in the matter at all."

Keep them dice movin':

Because it never hurts to be suspicious, Sense Motive to get a hunch/etc. about the situation:

Sense Motive: [roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-19, 09:34 AM
I didn't think you were gonna bring Drass/Claire along to meet the noble. I assumed they were back with the rest of the group. Ah well, correction made.

Riona: You know he's not being deceptive, and is genuinely interested in getting the refractor at the cost of housing you.

Unfortunately, I don't know many innkeepers in town. Never trusted them myself. My offer still stands, however, if you are in need of housing when you return.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-19, 11:57 AM
Toryn shrugs. "Well, 'at's mighty generous of ya. Can't speak for the rest of me mates, 'ere, but I'd be glad to take you up on 'at offer after we get back, meself." He turns to look at the rest and claps his hands together, grinning wildly. "Dunno 'bout the rest of you, but I'm eager to get at it. Anythin' else we need to do 'round 'ere other 'an collect the map an' money?"

warbacon
2007-10-19, 12:37 PM
Gregor

"Actually ..." Gregor has been listening and pondering ever since the noble first mentioned eldritch energy. He wasn't even listening to the bit about accommodations. "I do have a kvestion. You see, I know zomezhing about zhe eldritch magics." You notice a pale purple glow gathering at his fingertips, and as he speaks it grows. "And kvite frankly, zhis is zhe first time I have heard of it being associated wizh a Refractor." He crosses his arms in front of him, and as his hands pass each other there is a distinct arcing between his fingers.

Standing, waiting for a response. Also, I hope he's talking about the same eldritch energy, hehe.

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-19, 01:06 PM
Hmm.. You know, that is rather peculiar. I've never owned a refractor before, and the fellows I had digging for that one assured me that eldritch energy was normal for a refractor.

The man looks genuinely perplexed, as he is now standing and stroking his forehead. Maybe the noble is thinking twice about funding an expedition for a crystal that might not be a refractor at all..

pingcode20
2007-10-20, 08:00 PM
So do we assume the offer was for all 7 on the expedition?

Red
"Without further ado, if we could get the map and the funds, we will begin preparations immediately and we should be able to leave by the end of tomorrow, if not earlier."

warbacon
2007-10-20, 08:36 PM
Gregor

Gregor shrugged. "Perhaps, then, it is I zhat am wrong. As I said, I know something of zhe magics ... not all. I am, and alvays vill be, a student of their uses. I vould very much like to obtain this Refractor for you. " He bowed slightly.

"Red is correct. Ve should get going. If you have no further kvestions, may ve begin zhis undertaking?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-20, 11:22 PM
I replace the 5 with a 7 from the last post.

The man claps his hands. A servant promptly enters and bows to his lord and his guests. The immaculately dressed servant, wearing a pressed, double-breasted tuxedo, hands the hadozee a pouch full of 300 platnium coins and a rolled up map-case.

Unfortunately my friends, my map will only take you to the outskirts of the ruin. As I said, savages stopped my expeditions into the ruin proper, so you'll be walking blind through that. I've provided extra slips of parchment incase you wish to produce your own map.

PolkaBear
2007-10-21, 01:28 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh squinted and nodded. "That'll probably do, then. We'll let you know as soon as we get back with your refractor."

As the group turned to head outside, he commented, "At least we won't just be sitting around town gathering mold. And we keep silent about this coin around Philly, eh? If they're using the lodging, they pay for it. We'll need this to keep our skin intact while we're gone."

pingcode20
2007-10-21, 04:10 AM
Red
"Right, Garsh, the Luggage can kill people who try to take stuff from it, right? Let it hang onto the map for a while, same with the money. Toryn and I can handle the provisioning - probably stocking for about a week?" says Red, following Garsh out. "We're also going to need to track down proper rooms for the others - Riona, if you're so sure you can talk to an innkeeper, why don't you track down a more affordable inn... and, ah, try telling him that we got offered rooms for three hundred a week... don't mention your wealth."

It seemed the gnoll already had a plan of action in mind.

"Maybe we should invest in a cart - though with the savages it would be very risky."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-21, 01:35 PM
Toryn shakes his head at the suggestion of a cart. "Way I sees it, once we get t' know more 'bout 'ese ruins, we can come back. 'Ee did say salvage rights; not 'salvage rights for your first trip 'ere.' What say you 'at we take care a' th' nasties in our ruin first, an' if we can't carry all th' stuff we come back an' get a cart, then go back through?"

warbacon
2007-10-21, 02:17 PM
Gregor

"Yes, ve could do zhat, but remember zhat it is two days' travel from here. But I zhink I agree that a cart vill not help. Even if ve make it zhere vizh a cart, it is doubtful zhat ve can bring it in vizh us and ensure zhat ve leave vizh it intact. Is not Zhe Luggage sufficient for carrying any salvage? And how big is a Refractor anyvay?"

PolkaBear
2007-10-21, 03:24 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Doin' it now," he responded to Red, as The Luggage snapped shut with its new treasures securely stowed. "It may not kill 'em, but it'll do enough hurting that the thief may never pilfer again. Even if they get past the pincers, though, there's still the matter of getting it open. Hehehe."

dr.cello
2007-10-21, 09:58 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"I have my doubts that we will find anything cheaper. Call it a hunch." Riona shakes her head. "Anyway. If we're headed south anyway, mind if we stop by a little place called Curisshaven? I've got something to tend to. It shouldn't be far out of the way. Might even be a better place to hole up for a while."

warbacon
2007-10-21, 10:06 PM
Gregor

Gregor raises and eyebrow and folds his arms. "I von't ask vhat business you have zhere, but I don't see vhy not. I'd razher sleep in a bed zhan a tent anyvay."

pingcode20
2007-10-21, 10:27 PM
Red
"Well, unless you're prepared to have us shell out one and a half grand on housing the others while we're gone, I suggest you'd better have a closer look. Besides that, why not? Well, I'm off to hunt down the provisions."

Red walks off, presumably with Toryn, in search of a good place to buy quality food supplies.

[roll0] to find suitable food stores
[roll1] to assess them for quality and relative price

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-22, 10:03 AM
"'M half inclined to say I don't give a damn what the rest of 'em do at this point. Either way, 'ey'll figure somethin' out."

With that, Toryn heads off with Red.

Rolls:Gather Information: (1d20+2=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1329653)
Time: (1d4+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1329655)
Also, Toryn switches into Hunter's Sense stance, to gain scent to help assess quality and such.

PolkaBear
2007-10-23, 11:07 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh snatched up a stick while he walked and used it to tattoo a rhythm on the lid of his squat homunculus. Other than an occasional half-hearted swipe at the improvised instrument, the packmate ignored it.

"Any other last-minute provisions? Refractor shards, bedding, weapons, tools, armor...anything?"

He scratched his head. "I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea if I got myself some armor. I hate wearing the stuff--no need for it in my work--but if we're up against these 'savages,' I might be thankful for the protection."

warbacon
2007-10-24, 12:06 AM
Gregor

With a chipper smile, Gregor knocks on his elvish shield. "Armor is goot. Vot ve may need is more mezhods of healink ... I have a vand vich vill do for minor zhings, but perhaps I could invest in a Healink Belt? Zhey are very useful, I hear. Alzhough I am not certain zhis town vill have von." He looks up at the sky for a moment, shifts his weight from one foot to the other, and starts counting off fingers.

"Ve need a cart or carriage, plus zhe horses for it. Since ve're expectink trouble, warhorses vould be a vorthvhile investment. Zhat vill cost us a few hundred gold, depending on vhat ve buy and from who. I can easily read minor spell scrolls so perhaps we could load up on zhose as vell. Veb, Bull's Strength, Resist Energy .. zhese are all useful. Ve should probably go shopping tonight, and head out in zhe mornink. He looks back at Garsh and Riona, his eyebrow raised in expectation of an answer.

Gregor can take ten on UMD checks, so he can cast 2nd-level spells through scrolls without making a roll. Also, All-Seeing Eyes gives him Read Magic as the spell for written text only.

Suggested Shopping List, per party approval:
Healing Belt - 750gp (from Gregor's personal funds if necessary)
Cart - 15gp
Light Warhorse (60ft unburdened, 230lb light load) - 150gp -or- Heavy Warhorse (50ft unburdened, 300lb light load) - 400gp
Web - 60gp, x4 = 240gp
Bull's Strength - 60gp, x2 = 120gp
Resist Energy - 60gp, x5 (one for each of us) = 300gp

PolkaBear
2007-10-24, 12:20 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh pulled aside some of his shaggy hair and pointed at the curiously-cut leather belt at his waist, which had at first seemed like part of his harness.

"Already got the Healing Belt. It's good in a pinch and for the cuts and scrapes that come on an airship; but it's not made for heavy duty. We might want an alternate source of healing."

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-24, 09:43 AM
Toryn and Red

The pair find a rather large general store filled with your average foodstuffs. Procuring supplies would take about a hundred and five gold pieces for a month's supply for 7 people.

(Sorry for the late reply)

dr.cello
2007-10-24, 09:17 PM
Riona Lochlainn
"I might have a little something for healing," offers Riona, following Garsh and Gregor. She glances around the city with an appraising look. "A city like this will probably have a healing belt somewhere. Really, I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure we've all dealt with worse than these 'savages'."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-25, 01:48 AM
Looking the store's goods over, Toryn says, "Weeeeell, I think 'is is th' best we're gonna do, Red. Figure you can make somethin' outta stuff like 'is?" He heads to the section of the store for cheeses, looking at them and taking a strong sniff. "Haa, strong stuff... Anyway, how long y' figure we shoul' get ready for? Two weeks or so seems tops t' me..."

pingcode20
2007-10-25, 07:59 AM
Red
"We've only really been at it for a few hours. We can try and hunt down another store. This seems like a good place in a pinch, though, so we'll keep it in mind."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-25, 05:16 PM
Toryn shrugs. "Well, all right then..." he says as he follows Red out.

Rolls:Gather info (Aid another): (1d20+2=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1336077) (DAMMIT!)

PolkaBear
2007-10-25, 11:06 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

He nodded and tugged on a shaggy strand of hair. "And if you're not in too much of a hurry and can give me some peace to work, I can brew up some healing potions. I'd need to purchase some components, of course, so it would use some of that precious coin."

"The nice thing about potions, though, is that The Luggage over there can dump one down your throat if you're incapacitated. I got knocked off of the rigging by a loose spar once--out clean and cold. Landed on the decking and likely woulda died if he hadn't come to help me. Handy little appliance, he is."

warbacon
2007-10-26, 12:12 PM
Gregor

Gregor looked impressed. "Let's start valkink back as ve talk, ya? Zhe Luggage is indeed a useful device. How much time vould you need to brew zhese potions?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-26, 12:59 PM
As night begins to settle, Toryn and Red only find more general stores and one particularly expensive store that imports food from all across the world. Buying a month's supply of food from this place would be three hundred and fifteen gold pieces. They find no other differences in cost, and it seems that a hundred and five is the lowest they can get without talking to someone.

I need to know what Garsh/Gregor/Riona and the NPCs are going to be doing during this time.

pingcode20
2007-10-26, 06:51 PM
Red
As they went from general store to general store, Red quickly ruled out spending twice as much on food at the imports store - after all, it was only twice as expensive due to importing costs.

Instead, he assesses the quality of individual foodstuffs at each store, and takes note of the costs of each, before buying two sheets of parchment (4sp) and scribbling out a long shopping list for goods to be bought at each store. He wasn't really expecting to get savings from one store or another - not without working out a deal with a storekeeper, but he was looking for quality.

He passed one list to Toryn, and about fifty gold pieces.

"Alright, you can handle this list, right? Feel free to get a pack if you need one."

1d20+13

And with that, he heads off to buy up around an additional week's worth of supplies, as well as two mess kits (5sp/piece, 1gp 2lbs)

pingcode20
2007-10-26, 07:12 PM
((Whoops. Left brackets in the roll.

EDIT: Ouch. Should be enough to get high quality stuff anyway, though.))

[roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-26, 08:52 PM
Looking the list over, Toryn nods and happily accepts the coin. "Sounds good to me, mate, an' I already got a pack for all 'is stuff." With that, he sets off to purchase the stuff on the list.

warbacon
2007-10-28, 02:42 PM
Gregor

Having finished making his internal list, Havok speaks up on their walk back to the city. "I suggest ve get a number of Resist Energy scrolls, a few, say four, scrolls of Veb, and two scrolls of Bull's Strength. If ve stay at zhe noble's mansion, zhen ve von't have to pay zhe full price for lodgings at zhe inn, no? Perhaps he could be persuaded to lower the price to a zhousand gold or less. As for carrying zhe Refractor itself ... vell ... I'm inclined tovards having a cart and horse, but perhaps ve vill need somethink to get it out of zha ruins itself. Garsh, any suggestions?"

pingcode20
2007-10-30, 02:21 AM
Red
Having purchased the supplies, Red packs it all into his backpack and returns to the Mansion, waiting for the others to all return.

"So, where shall we be staying tonight?"

warbacon
2007-10-30, 09:06 PM
Gregor

Upon reaching the city, Gregor stops and faces Garsh. "Vell, mister Money Man, I vant to buy some of zhose scrolls, and you probably vant to buy components for zhat vand. Zhey are at zhe same shop, more zhan likely. Let us finish zhat up kvikly and pay zhat money-grubbing innkeeper somezhink on our crew's behalf. Riona, Drass, Claire, do you mind joining us, or vould you prefer meeting us at zhe inn?"

So ... Gregor is buying the spells listed in OOC. Cart + horse can be bought tomorrow. I actually have no trouble buying the scrolls tomorrow, but it might be better for Garsh if he bought all the components tonight so he could get an early start tomorrow morning.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-31, 10:35 AM
Toryn approaches the mansion not long after Red, loaded down with foodstuffs. He quickly hands a good bit of it to Red, and in reply to his question, says, "Dunno 'bout you, but I think I'd rather stay 'ere if our kind host's offer still stands, yeah?"

PolkaBear
2007-10-31, 05:04 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Well, I'll need to make a run to the magic shops to pick up some components if I'm going to brew or fashion anything for us. What do we need? Curing potions? Wand of something-or-other?"

warbacon
2007-11-01, 03:07 PM
Gregor

"Healing potions might come in handy, but I was zhinkink that ve might need somezhink to help us carry zhat darned crystal out of zhe ruins. Possibly a vand of Floatink Disk? Can you make it poverful enough to hold a few hundred pounds?"

dr.cello
2007-11-02, 03:42 AM
Riona

"While we're on the subject, if you could get me a wand of keen edge I'd be very happy indeed. Just somewhere down the road." Riona shrugs. "I'd like to get this done before somebody else does, though, so we can't spend too much time."

warbacon
2007-11-05, 01:30 AM
Gregor

"Agreed,." chimes in Gregor, "but as much as I vant to hurry, I vould razher be prepared. And I don't see how else ve vill remove vhat could potentially be an object veighing several hundret pounds besides a vand of Floatink Disk... I can use zhose vell enough. Maybe ve should buy zhe components and tools necessary for zhat keening vand and make it on zhe road?"

warbacon
2007-11-08, 05:28 PM
Gregor

"Tell you vhat," Gregor continues without missing a beat, "I vill go take care of zhe fees at zhe inn, and you two can go shoppink for zhe components. I can buy zhose scrolls tomorrow. Now, I vill need a zhousand gold..." After getting the money from Garsh, he says, "I vill meet you back at zhe noble's mansion," waves quickly and jogs back to the inn.

When he gets there, he exchanges greetings with the crew and first mate, and tells the latter that a few of them have found free accommodations from an adventuring job, and will not be staying at the inn. He tells Philly that he's going to try and arrange payment for the rest of the crew from the advance money, and then goes to find the innkeeper, arguing:

"Mister Innkeeper. I am from zhe airship crew zhat has landed, so to speak, in your establishment. You offered to us rooms for zhe entire crew for two veeks at a price of fifteen hundret gold, but zhe situation has changed. Seven of us are leavink town, and have scrounged togezher a zhousand gold as payment for zhe rest of zhe crew ... vhich, I believe, verks out to exactly zhe same rate per person as you had previously offered. Do you have any objections to zhis settlement?"

PolkaBear
2007-11-08, 06:21 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"I guess so, though I don't really see why you're bothering to pay for the rest of the crew's expenses. Aren't they supposed to work for their room and board during these two weeks? Now they'll be sitting on their tails the whole time--getting drunk, most like. It's not as if they'll reimburse us for our troubles on their behalf when we get back..."

He grumbled like this the whole way to a magic shop. Once there, he put on a happy face and saw to securing the necessary supplies.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-09, 04:53 AM
Innkeeper

After a few calculations in his head, the innkeeper accepts the gold and then hands Gregor back two platnium pieces and five gold pieces. The price worked out to just nine-hundred and seventy-five.

Others

Stuff is bought. I don't really need to go into details.

Everyone

Finally everyone is assembled in front of the noble's home--well, fortress. It's now fairly dark outside, as much time was spent gathering information within the city. The group could either set out tonight or spend the night with the noble. But the choice was theirs.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-09, 05:32 AM
Once the group is back together and considering their options, Toryn is the first to speak up. "I dunno 'bout th' rest of ya, but settin' out at night seems like a bad plan to me. Why not just stay th' night 'ere and set out fresh in th' mornin', yeah?"

warbacon
2007-11-09, 05:51 PM
Gregor

Gregor shakes his head chidingly. "Ach, no no no. It vould be silly to head out in zhis darkness. Ve vill stay vit zhe noble tonight, despite my doubts as to his goot intentions. Besides, Garsh needs a day to verk on zhe vand, ya?" He claps the hazodee on his furry shoulder. "Perhaps vit a cart you can verk while on zhe road ... But come, ve can talk inside." Releasing his hand Gregor puts on his most inviting smile and enters the fortress, looking for a servant to lead them to their room or rooms.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-10, 04:51 AM
Noble

He offers rooms for all seven of you. A manservant guides you to each of your own, separate, rooms. Once everyone is all tucked in, the manservant does his rounds to see if anyone needs any sort of drink or nighttime snack before bed. If anyone requests anything, he'll retrieve it from the kitchen. Otherwise, he leaves you to your sleep.

I'll need three separate Listen checks from everyone. One with no penalty. One with a -3. And the other with a -6.

warbacon
2007-11-10, 05:35 AM
Gregor

"I must admit zhat zhis service is very nice. As is zhe room." Gregor muses as he enters his own room and says good night to the others. Suspiciously goot, in fact. Ach, I'm probably just beink paranoid. He spends a few moments checking out his room, then unpacks a few things and lays down on the bed to collect his thoughts and unwind.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

pingcode20
2007-11-10, 06:06 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Red
Red bids everybody goodnight and retires to his rooms, where he spends a couple of hours going through the food supplies and sniffing them cautiously for quality.

After reassuring himself that the food that he had bought was of sufficient quality, he went to sleep in his bed, where he once again dreamt little dreams of horrific nightmares, the same series of images again and again, tossing and turning the whole night long, involuntarily growling at times and other times simply grimacing.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-10, 06:09 AM
Toryn lets out a low, impressed whistle as he's lead into his room. "I could get used to 'is, yeah? Hellova lot better 'n' our friends back at th' 'otel're probably sleepin'..."

When the servant returns taking last requests, Toryn seems to consider for a moment, before finally saying, "A hangover th' mornin' we 'ead out don't sound so fun. I'll decline for now; thanks anyway, mate."

RollsListen 1: (1d20+13=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365292)
Listen 2: (1d20+10=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365295)(Fsck!)
Listen 3: (1d20+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365299)(FSCK!!!)

I forgot to put Toryn into the name field on that first field, but since that's the only one of these I'd want to keep I doubt it really matters.

dr.cello
2007-11-10, 09:22 AM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona graciously waves off the manservant and settles into her bed. "Thank you, but no. I have had a quite satisfactory meal earlier this evening. Send my thanks to our gracious host, though, yes?"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

PolkaBear
2007-11-10, 10:54 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Aye. I'll see what I can do in the morning. Don't any of you be snoring, now, and keeping us all awake. There's somebody with a nose like a raging girallon, but I haven't figured which of you it is."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-10, 11:51 PM
Group

The night comes to a close with many happy thoughts drifting through the heads of the company just prior to their travel on the morning. Everyone sleeps well, and no one is disturbed for long. However, that isn't to say no one was disturbed at all. Toryn, before drifting off to sleep, notices someone open his door. When he reactively looks toward the open door, the butler is standing in the doorway holding a tray to his chest.

I apologize, sir. I've come to make sure everyone is sleeping well. I trust the bed is to your comfort?

The butler leaves once he has his answer. Either to gather more pillows for Toryn or happy that the bed is to the young man's liking.

Otherwise.. No one is disturbed during the night.

Morning

The group awakens and gathers for breakfast in the dining room. The noble has graciously set out a large meal for everyone involved. He's seated at the head of the table, befitting his place as lord of his home. Servants busy themselves with providing you food befitting a lord.

Everyone benefits from a Heroes' Feast. You all gain 10 temporary hit point from the feast.

Also, I need a raw Wisdom check from everyone.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-11, 12:34 AM
As the butler wakes Toryn, he grins and says, blearily, "Mate, I been sleepin' on a hammock in an airship most a' my nights. Compared to 'at, this is outright heavenly. Thanks for askin', though." As the butler leaves, he turns over and goes back to sleep without a second thought.

The next morning, Toryn eats his fill, consuming an impressive amount, espcially for a halfling. The whole thing has him in an even better mood than usual. He doesn't partake that much of ale, saying offhandedly that if another meal like this was to be offered when they returned, he'd make up for lost time then.

Rolls:Wisdom: (1d20+3=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1366582) (Edit: For some reason, I copied a roll from another game here before... Fixed.)

PolkaBear
2007-11-11, 01:30 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh sets to the meal with a will. "Thank you for the lodging and the food, sir. We'll do our best to see that you get what you've paid us for, too."

[roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-11, 12:19 PM
Claire

The (relatively) young elven woman arrives from her sleeping quarters. She looks pale and alittle sickly this morning. With a barely stiffled yawn, she sits down to eat breakfast. She's extraordinairely quiet this morning, and doesn't appear to be feeling well. Her raven hair is well-kept and meticulously groomed. Her eyes, twin green orbs, appear less vibrant than normal.

Drass

The older human arrives shortly after Claire does. He's alittle pale as well, but otherwise fine and wide awake. He seems to have picked up a few things in the city, particularly a pair of daggers that run through loops in his belt. His blonde hair is a mess, as he put no effort in taming it after sleeping. The man's dark blue eyes seem to reflect his pale features as they appear glossed over and alittle tired.

warbacon
2007-11-11, 02:10 PM
Gregor

"Now zhis," says Gregor, eyes widening as he catches sight of the feast laid on the breakfast table, "zhis a man can get used to." He had slept well, despite his suspicions; the man was just too tired and the bed was just too comfortable. He woke up early bright-eyed and well-rested, cleaned himself up, and came out of his room to find food he only saw in his most decadent dreams. For a former street urchin, this really was too good.

You could say he was happy.

Chatting freely between bites, Gregor eats his meal with relish and a nigh-permanent grin on his face, sending his compliments to the chef and thanking the Lord if he should appear.

pingcode20
2007-11-12, 01:30 AM
[roll0]

EDIT: Looks like Red is really not much of a morning gnoll.

Red
Red enters looking like he hasn't slept much, but not moreso than usual. He lacks any paleness to his skin (somewhat hard, what with him being a gnoll and all) and unlike the likely drained Drass and Claire, Red simply isn't a morning person - quite plainly evidenced by his half-shut eyes.

He yawns as he takes his seat, clutching his mug full of coffee he'd managed to acquire from the kitchens before coming down. On the front was the slightly humourous message he'd bought the mug for a while back.

'Awaken Chef' indeed.

He sniffed cautiously in the air, not immediately registering the feast. "Mmmh... Imported... Quality Ingredients..."

He set down his mug, and picked up the cup of ale, taking an exploratory sip.

"...Wish I could get ingredients like this." he muttered, as he set into the sumptuous meal set before the group.

dr.cello
2007-11-12, 02:57 PM
Riona Lochlainn
Riona does not quite look herself in the morning, either. When she notices the state of Claire and Drass, she freezes and her eyes narrow, but she says nothing beyond quietly thanking their 'kind host' for the meal. She has not made much of an effort to conceal that she is not feeling well this morning--her normally well-kept hair is in disarray, where she would normally be trying to look her best at this time of day.

Wisdom: [roll0]
OOC: I could have sworn I clicked 'submit' yesterday. Sorry.

warbacon
2007-11-12, 06:01 PM
Gregor

Dabbing at his lips with a napkin, Gregor leans back into the richly upholstered chair and washes his food down with some coffee. "I must zhank you again, sir, for zhe lodgings and fine breakfast. It has been most refreshink. I vould venture to say zhat zhe best vay to start an adventure into zhe unknown," he says, pronouncing the silent 'k' sharply, "is vizh a goot meal. Speakink of vhich, I must go to town and collect some scrolls. Anyvon feel like joining me?"

Going to go buy the aforementioned scrolls. I presume Garsh is going to work on the wand? I sense mini-adventure in the manor...

dr.cello
2007-11-12, 06:26 PM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona hesitates for a moment, then nods. "Sure. I could use some fresh air." She combs through her hair with her fingers in a half-hearted sort of way. "You know where you're going?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-12, 06:40 PM
Noble

"I am glad you are enjoying your meal, everyone. I usually import my ingredients from Crown and Blade Isles. My cook has a fantastic recipe for Blade Isle Shark Potstickers. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be awake this morning.. Most of this, unfortunately, was provided by my minstrel through magic. And Archibald doesn't seem to be joining us for breakfast this morning either.. Ah well, he'll never know what he missed!"

Drass and Claire

Both of them opt to leave with Gregor after finishing their meals.

pingcode20
2007-11-12, 09:37 PM
Red
"Hrmh. Figures." mutters Red, finishing off his second cup and now quite thoroughly awake. "Thank you for providing breakfast, though it is a pity the chef was unable to prepare it."

"I'd be happy to provide my services if the chef isn't well, though I think I'll see if I can hunt him down and get the recipe from him. It sounds very good."

Red stood, dropping his mug (which became clean again even as it fell) into a pocket, and bows slightly before walking off to find the 'sleeping' chef.

warbacon
2007-11-13, 02:26 AM
Gregor

"Yes, fresh air is goot." Gregor stands up and bows slightly to the noble. "I vould zhank zhe chef, but it vould seem I have your minstrel to zhank instead. Send my regards. Toryn," he says turning his head, "are you stayink or goink?"

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-13, 03:26 AM
Toryn shrugs. "Eh, might as well tag along." He finishes off one last wedge of cheese before standing up in his chair and giving a bow to their host. "Been a while since I had such a good sleep an' meal, thanks kindly." He then hops down to the floor and follows along.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-15, 07:28 PM
Group Scrollgatherers

The group of five leaves to procure supplies. Nothing truly important happens during the course of this endeavor. They are, however, taking their time with the trip primarily due to three of five being rather sickly and tired.

Loner Red

Red leaves to find the chef. But then he realizes that the noble never told Red where the chef lived..

Gather Info if you plan to ask servants.
Search if you plan to search yourself.

Garsh

The hadozee proves to be the only hospitable guest out of the lot and stays to converse with the man who so graciously provided him lodging.

Sorry for the wait. I was expecting conversation while people were out buying scrolls..

PolkaBear
2007-11-15, 11:58 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh made a mental note to ask the nobleman about some sort of workshop he might be able to use to work uninterruptedly. The Luggage got up from its unobtrusive place of rest in the corner and crossed to where Garsh was sitting. It opened momentarily and allowed Garsh an opportunity to ascertain that all the necessary supplies were there; then it returned to its prior position, out of the way.

"So how'd you get involved with the ruins?" he asked to make conversation. "You said you were 'researching' them, right? Seems like pretty chancy work to me. Interesting returns, though, no doubt." His eyes glinted with curiosity.

warbacon
2007-11-17, 02:34 AM
Gregor

Making their way into the city, an overly plucky Gregor chats idly about the weather, the town, and the spell scrolls he's interested in buying. While in the store, this dialog-turned-monologue runs into a brief history of his life.

As an orphan in the big city, Gregor had to get by somehow. Fighting, petty theft, and trickery were all part of his repertoire long before he was picked up by the orphanage where he spent much of his early years. Eventually, that too passed, as it became clear that strange energies flowed in his blood, and he started to be able to shape them into magical blasts. After that his history continued to be a hodgepodge affair, with apprenticeships at magical schools and workshops who couldn't accept him and envied him for his strange fonts of magical power. You could say they used him more than not. He joined up with the airship crew after getting some money with a few small adventuring groups, seeking to get a fresh start and get away from it all.

Gregor reads through a few scrolls as he derails his history in favor of more contemporary topics. "So vhy did you guys join up? And vhat do you zhink of our host? Strange man, no?"

pingcode20
2007-11-17, 05:31 AM
Red
Instead of placing his time in the fickle hands of the lords of luck, Red decides to head back and simply ask his benefactor where the chef lived.

On the way, he wondered why he didn't ask in the first place, but then dismissed it as latent tiredness. He takes a long route back, just strolling through the city and enjoying the sights.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-17, 05:34 AM
Garsh

"Yes. Well, I had been employing a young wizard to do a few things for me out in the country. One night she discovered an energy emanating from deep within a mausoleum that belonged to one of the barbarian tribes nearby. We discussed what would possibly emanate that much energy, and thus, I funded her expedition to unearth the refractor."

Red

"I don't actually know. He usually comes in about an hour or so before breakfast, and then leaves an hour or so after cooking dinner. It's rather odd that he isn't around today.."

PolkaBear
2007-11-17, 01:09 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Which do you mean: was it constructed as a mausoleum or was that just what these barbarians were using it for? I thought they burned their dead. Or ate 'em. But I guess there's barbarians and then there's barbarians, eh?"

His black-skinned face twisted in thought. "It might be nice to talk to this wizard before we head down there, to find out what she knows. If she's alive still, that is."

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-17, 03:02 PM
Toryn looks up to Gregor, also in a good mood. He walks just fast enough to keep up, keeping his arms folded behind his head as he walks. "Involved in what exactly? Sailin' with th' crew? Ain't it every boy's dream to go out sailin' an' exploring? I just never grew outta 'at and figured 'is was th' best way to start."

dr.cello
2007-11-18, 02:44 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"Something isn't right," responds Riona flatly to Gregor's question about their host. "Our host, or someone at his house, did something while we were asleep. Something needs to be done about this." She pauses, and shrugs. "Something to discuss on the road, I guess."

warbacon
2007-11-18, 11:41 PM
Gregor

Gregor nods in response to Riona's statement. "Or to take care of before ve go. As far as ve know, ve are zhe only vones being sent to zhese ruins, and if ve clean house before ve leave, heck, zhere might be a bonus in it for us. From zhe pallor of Claire and Drass here, I vould guess vampirism, but it is clear zhat the noble isn't vone himself. A servant?"

dr.cello
2007-11-19, 12:01 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"And if it's our host who is eating his guests? He might not like us asking questions. He might decide to forgo a light snack every evening in favor of one nice tasty meal, and find someone else to do his increasingly-suspicious dirty work." Riona shakes her head. "Or perhaps there's an eminence gris we're missing. Either way--if you're a blood-drinking monster and a party of people start asking questions, it usually ends in a banquet where the guests of honor are also the main course."

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-19, 01:54 AM
Garsh

"I do not know. Again, my expeditions into the ruin did not go far. We do know that the local barbarians were dumping their dead inside. As for my wizardly companion.. I don't know what became of her. She never returned with the few survivors who did come back."

pingcode20
2007-11-19, 02:00 AM
Red
"How odd. Well, I'm going to head off to have a poke around for this missing chef."

Red wanders back out again, remembering suddenly that he'd made the mistaken assumption that there was a live-in chef, and set about exploring the city and simply taking in the sights while he searched for the chef.

It was a good excuse to take a morning off enjoying the city.

[roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-20, 06:51 AM
Red

Red finds a bakery where a chef would, presumably, live. When he knocks, however, there is no answer or response.

PolkaBear
2007-11-20, 02:49 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Disappeared, huh? Well, there are always stories about wizardly types falling prey to their lust for knowledge and power. And for those little almond paste confections they hand out at feasttime--the ones they shape and paint like little animals, you know? At least, that's what they were always on to me about. I can't see that simple curiousity is a bad thing, if the brain on the other end is wary and wise. What was her name?"

"By the way, were you ever out on one of the 'expeditions' yourself?"

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-20, 04:39 PM
Toryn seems troubled by Riona's words. "Odd man to be sure, but don' you think maybe you're jumpin' to conclusions a bit 'ere? I dunno much 'bout vampires, of course, but wouldn't there be some more tellin' signs? Like, I dunno, bats all over the place or somethin'? 'Oles in necks? Somethin's off 'ere, 'at's for sure, but I dunno if it's quite so sinister."

warbacon
2007-11-20, 06:29 PM
Gregor

"Ja. I mean, ve all know," again pronouncing the silent 'k', "zhat vampires cannot function durink zhe day. Zhey hexplote." He really gets into his own accent with that last word -- Gregor can actually imitate a more cosmopolitan accent just fine. He just enjoys the feeling of being quirky.

Having completed his purchases, he pays the shopkeeer and packs the scrolls into a case, and then places that in his haversack. Shielding his eyes, he looks up and locates the sun. "It is still early, but ve might head back to have a look-see around zhe noble's mansion, ja? But first, ve should get you two," he says indicating Drass and Claire, "zomezhink to drink for zhat complexion of yours. Maybe a light snack. Or vould you prefer ve repast at the mansio intself?" he finishes with a sarcastically overdone menacing grin.

dr.cello
2007-11-20, 06:50 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"Could be all sorts of things. Not a vampire is a very good option. If there is a vampire it could be a puppetmaster of sorts. The opportunities for conspiracy and enchantment and need I repeat blood-drinking monsters are more or less endless." Riona sighs. "The only conclusion I'm jumping to is that continued residence at our benefactor's house could be bad for our health."

warbacon
2007-11-20, 07:51 PM
Gregor

"Ja, but I don't intend to stay zhere more zhan anozher night. Och! Zhe horse and cart! I almost forgot! Hrm ... you didn't see zhe stables yesterday, did you Riona?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-21, 12:28 AM
Garsh

"Her name was Karen. I think. Karen.. Karen.. Kar--Adleburn! Karen Adleburn. And no, I never went on these expeditions. I am no warrior, and I admit to it readily. She lived in a small tower somewhere south of the city, I don't quite recall where, exactly, since I'd only seen it once."

Drass and Claire

Drass was already sitting down on the cobblestones. He was much paler than either Claire or Riona, possibly due to having a weaker body. He doesn't respond, but the elven woman trying to help him up does. "Food would be nice. I didn't eat at the mansion, since I was afraid of what would be inside it. Someone help me with this fool, please!"

PolkaBear
2007-11-21, 11:29 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

The Hadozee nodded. "Well, that's a start. It's not much, but I'm sure we'll learn more when we're there. On another note, do you by any chance have a workshop where I could tinker undisturbed?"

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-21, 02:59 PM
Toryn starts towards Drass, but quickly realises that his small frame wasn't suited to such work. "I'll go see if can get you somethin' to eat, yeah?" With that, he begins scanning around for a spot to get some food for his ailing crewmates.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-21, 04:14 PM
Toryn

You procure food for your maligned comrades with no notable expense. They both eat as if they were suffering from a famine. Riona's stomach grumbles rather loudly as well.

Garsh

The noble does not have such a workshop, as he has no live-in mage. His minstrel is the only spellcaster he has that lives in his home, and the man needs no workshop for his spellcasting. The noble provides Garsh with vague directions to his friend's tower, which lies further south than his own keep. He also provides Garsh with fairly rough maps of Ankah, the surrounding area, and the campsite near the ruin.

Maps:
Ankah Map (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/AnkahMap.jpg?t=1195679831)(Rough)
Surrounding Area of Ankah (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/AnkahSurroundingsMap.jpg?t=1195680026)
The Campsite (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/CampsiteMap.jpg?t=1195680027)

warbacon
2007-11-21, 05:30 PM
Gregor

Gregor shakes a finger chidingly at Riona. "I don't know how you managed to resist zhat delicious breakfast ve had, but you did it. I vould commend you for your villpower if I didn't zhink it was stupid. Ach!," he exclaimed at Drass' eager eating, "Don't choke. You should also slow down and actually taste your foot. Come, ve are going to sit down at a table somevhere and get a proper meal into you! Toryn!" Gregor takes a moment to let the dramatic tension rise. After an appropriate pause, he exclaims, "An eatery!"

He helps Claire support Drass and walks him slowly, following Toryn.

Yes, I said "foot" on purpose. I mean, if he says "goot" instead of "good" then he says "foot" instead of "food." I'm discovering this stuff as I go along ... bear with me. Just imagine the cheesiest German accent from a bad (or good) old war movie and cross it with "I vant to sahk your blahd", and you've got Gregor.

pingcode20
2007-11-22, 01:45 AM
Red
"Hello? Anybody home?" calls Red, before turning the knob slowly and entering (if it isn't locked).

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-24, 05:20 PM
Gregor, Riona, and Toryn

The five of you wander into a small inn, where a waitress seats you and asks for your order. Drass and Claire both order large meals, and Riona's stomach begins to growl quite loudly with the smell of food nearby.

Red

There is no answer, and the door is locked.

warbacon
2007-11-25, 03:03 PM
Gregor

Chuckling, Gregor nibbles at a little roast meat and bread, and leans back enjoying his ale. "Please, eat up. It's my treat." He orders Riona some duck and wine.

After all the food has been eaten, hungers sated, tabs payed and an appropriate rest period taken (to ensure that they won't drown should they swim), Gregor gathers his things and suggests they head back to the noble's mansion, where they go find Garsh and Toryn. Seeing that Toryn isn't around, Gregor gets slightly suspicious (for no real reason), and turns on his detect magic ability, along with all of his passive invocations.

"I zhink I vill have a look around zhe grounds."

Gregor takes himself on a tour of the grounds, along with Claire, Drass, Riona, and Toryn if they wish to join him, sweeping over as much as he can with his detect magic cone. Should the group meet up with the noble, Gregor once again thanks him profusely and asks him,

"Do you by any chance know where is?"

I need to make a band called Duck and Whine.
Effects: Detect Magic, See the Unseen (see invisibility and darvision), All-Seeing Eyes(comprehend languages for written words, +6 Search and Spot), Fell Flight (Gregor is walking, it's just to avoid pit traps and the like)

Some search and spot checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

PolkaBear
2007-11-26, 12:40 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh is at this time in the room in which he slept, gathering his belongings and packing The Luggage with the magical components for his work. He plans to leave word with the noble and head to the mage's tower.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-26, 12:36 PM
Gregor

You got nothing. Other than the bard, and everyone who ate breakfast, there aren't any magical auras of real significance. The noble is wearing a ring with a transmutation aura around it, and when questioned he remarks that the ring makes him better at fencing.

The noble points them in Garsh's direction(before he leaves), and then remarks that he does not know where Red has disappeared to.

PolkaBear
2007-11-28, 12:55 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh came down the hall, followed by his ever-present homunculus, and met the others on their way. "There you are! Off taking a morning stroll while I pack. Hmph. There's a tower a little south of here where the lord's mage associate set up shop. I'm headed there to see if I can use her workshop--always makes things easier. I figure that she'll have more useful information than Mr. Noble: he was just the purse, but she visited the place before. You with me? Or do we have other plans?"

warbacon
2007-11-28, 02:21 AM
Gregor

"Ja, I am goink vizh you. Besides, it's on zhe vay to zhe ruins. Should ve vait for Red?"

pingcode20
2007-11-28, 03:22 AM
Red
Red looks up and down the street, and shouts one more time. "Are you okay in there?" he calls at the door, waiting a few seconds for the chef to answer.

"I'm coming in!" he warns, before pulling on his gloves and gripping the doorknob tightly. Gripping the handle firmly in one hand, he forces the lock and peers inside.

[roll0]

dr.cello
2007-11-28, 03:28 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm not worried about it." Riona waves a hand dismissively. "The sooner we're on the road, the better."

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-28, 09:47 AM
Red

The room inside is completely fine. The chef's breakfast is still sitting on the table, and is long cold by now. Otherwise, it's like the chef got up and left one day. Someone nearby screams, and everything speeds up..

Group

As you begin walking, you immediately notice a throng of people rushing toward the city. When you move to investigate, you see Red surrounded by a crowd of people. He's holding a door in one hand and the house behind him is missing it's door..

dr.cello
2007-11-28, 11:02 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"Looks like we'll need to find ourself a new cook," Riona mutters under her breath. "Keep walking, don't look at him, don't react if he yells at us. I'm feeling far too ill to get lynched today."

pingcode20
2007-11-28, 04:25 PM
Red
Red, deciding not to give people an excuse to believe he's trying to break in, follows up, quickly waving as if gesturing for the crowd to follow, and runs inside, putting the door down beside him.

"Hello?" he calls inside, peering about, and tries to get a feel for how long the breakfast has been sitting there.

"He's been kidnapped!" he yells over the crowd. It probably wasn't exactly true, but given the nature of magic and the situation, it was probably better to just throw out something now rather than waiting for someone to draw conclusions.

warbacon
2007-12-01, 05:00 AM
Gregor

Gregor nods to Riona in confirmation, and responds in a very hushed voice. "But zhere are many vays of not revealink ourselves vhile still findink out vhat happened. And I happen to like zhat cook's stew."

Trying to blend into the crowd, Gregor and acts the part of a curious townsperson and shuffles forward slightly. He expressly avoids being the first or last one to (and eventually in) the front door, and does his level best to subdue his accent for the time being.

"A kidnapping? Who was the victim?" he asks aimlessly at the crowd around him, looking naively curious.

Maybe a bluff check to look convincing?
[roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-01, 04:57 PM
Crowd

People are stupid. And these people are no exception. Many of them immediately parrot Gregor's request, mostly with fists raised and shouting. Most of them are directing accusations toward Red.

pingcode20
2007-12-02, 08:28 PM
Red
"The chef who lives here!" shouts back Red, inwardly sighing at the idiocy of the crowd. A little voice in the back of his head nagged at him to simply kill them all, making him feel slightly ill, but he manages to suppress both the voice and the feeling soon enough.

The assessment of the person he was looking for being kidnapped was honest enough - something he'd learned to do knowing how utterly unconvincing it was when he lied - but this crowd was beginning to get on his nerves, and his shouting voice wasn't all that strong.

Having grown accustomed to Gregor's accent, he doesn't realise that his friend is in the crowd.

"Get the guard!" he calls - at least the city guard would not be quite so incredibly dense, or at least he hoped so. If nothing else, it would clear out this frustratingly dense crowd and their ability to out-shout everything.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-03, 02:44 PM
A man in breastplate and greaves pushes his way through the crowd. He's apparently a guardsman if you guess from the way he's dressed. He approaches slowly with a hand on the hilt of his blade. "Sir, you're going to need to come with me. We need to ask you some questions about this chef of yours.."

PolkaBear
2007-12-03, 03:19 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

The hairy hadozee pushed through the crowd. "What's this who's this going on here," he demanded. "Red, what business have you been up to this morning? Weren't you going to get us food?"

He turned to the guardsman. "And you, young man." The guardsman wasn't that young. "Disperse the rabble before there's a riot. That's what they pay you for. I'll keep an eye on this one. Hurry, before this gets ugly."

If appropriate:
[roll0]

pingcode20
2007-12-05, 04:45 AM
Red
"Sightseeing. I've already got as much food as we'll need for about a month back at the mansion. I heard there was a chef here who hadn't shown his face for a while." responded Red, taking a seat.

"Well, officer, I think you'd best mop this up first. I don't want to have caused a riot."

warbacon
2007-12-05, 01:22 PM
Gregor

Seeing Garsh take a position with Red, Gregor moves forward through the crowd and reclaims his accent. "Vell if it isn't Red. Let me guess. You vent off on anozher recipe hunt, but zhe chef vas missink and you assumed zhe vorst."

Turning to the guard, he continues in a weary tone. "Zhese people don't need to be here, and if zhey stay zhey are going to get in zha vay." He tries to help the guard disperse the crowd.

Some rolls might help for the crowd stuff:
[roll0]
[roll1]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-05, 03:15 PM
The crowd is dispersed by the guard, with Gregor's assistance, and everything is back to a relative normal. Once the guard gets his answers to why Red was there, he leaves to report the disappearance to his superiors.

pingcode20
2007-12-06, 02:25 AM
Red
Red's cheeks turned a bright red. It was true, and he knew it. There was always something about him that clicked when he thought there was trouble. Polite people called it the 'inner knight', though if it was there it was certainly a very loud, vocal one with a remote control to his head.

"I came down because the chef had not been seen this morning, assuming he'd just slept in, and when there was no response I assumed the worst and forced the door."

warbacon
2007-12-06, 03:38 AM
Gregor

"I zhink zhat ven you burst zhrough zhe door it became za vurst, ja? Overdoink it a bit. But no matter. Let's find out vhat happened to zhis chef ..."

With that he enters the house and starts looking around.

Effects:see invisibility and darkvision from See the Unseen, comprehend languages (written text only) from All-Seeing Eyes
[roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-06, 04:15 PM
"Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, over doin' it a bit 'ere, mate." Toryn smirks, obviously amused at the relatively harmless fiasco. "Still, maybe 'ere's somethin' fishy goin' on 'ere. If ya don't mind I think I'll 'elp ya look around."

Rolls:
Searching the House: (1d20+8=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1410707)

PolkaBear
2007-12-06, 05:56 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh rolled his eyes and squatted near the door. "If it's all the same to you, I have work waiting for me on the other end. Let me know if you find anything interesting, though. I'm sure his recipe cards are just fascinating."

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-08, 05:56 PM
Search Results

No one finds anything amiss. It seems as if the chef up and left one day. Toryn finds the man's recipe book though, hidden under the counter and stuffed behind all his cleaning supplies.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-08, 11:31 PM
In responce to Garsh, Toryn says, "Well, Red 'ere obviously has some sort a' reason for bein' here. Important enough to rip down th' door, yeah?" He grins at this and hands Red the recipe book. "'Ere's the recipe book. Was 'at th' only reason you came around 'ere? It looks like 'e just left to go 'bout 'is day, so what made you think 'ere's any sort a foul play 'ere?"

pingcode20
2007-12-09, 06:51 AM
Red
Sitting down, Red flips open the recipe book and gives it a quick once-over, thumbing through it almost absentmindedly. He was already embarassed enough about spontaneously breaking the door because the thought entered his mind that the Chef could be in trouble. Again.

"No chef would leave their recipe book behind willingly." he remarks as he browses through the contents, making a mental note to buy an empty book and work on compiling one of his own. "Even if he was paid, he'd have taken it with him - nobody would have noticed it was gone, what with the way it was hidden."

[roll0]

Off stage, Red buys himself an Empty Spellbook, a vial of Ink and an Inkpen - totalling to 4gp 5sp

pingcode20
2007-12-11, 04:45 AM
I'm going to be gone for the next week or so - could you please NPC me until I get back? Thanks in advance.

Obviously, this applies to The Last Citadel as well.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-11, 05:06 PM
Red

The gnoll returns with a large empty book and begins copying recipes.

The Room

It's rather obvious that the chef is gone, whereto, you do not know. But here, he is not.

warbacon
2007-12-11, 08:03 PM
Gregor

Finishing up his search, Gregor leans up against the door frame, sighs loudly, and stares outside. "He is strangely gone. Very strangely gone. But ve should be goink. Ve have a vizard's home to find, and ve can tell zhe noble on zhe vay about his chef. He's probably got more resources to search for him zhan ve do, and he's got the time."

Gregor readjusts his clothes, having been ruffled from the search. Gesturing to his comrades, he walks out of the house, takes a few steps, and then turns himself around mid-stride. Popping his head back in the door, he says, "Vere vas zhat vizard's home again?"

pingcode20
2007-12-11, 08:04 PM
Red
Red pauses, and leaves the empty book in his bag. That would be saved for his own recipes. Instead, he spends a bit of time while waiting making little notes in the margins and providing commentary, signing his name inside the back cover.

He does, however, copy the recipe for Blade Isle Potstickers, making a note on the relevant page of the other chef's book that he made a copy of it (and an assurance that he wouldn't be using it directly), and puts the book away where it was found.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-14, 01:12 AM
"Stiiiiill not so sure 'ere's anythin' to worry about 'ere, but whatever, mates." With that, Toryn follows behind Gregor.

PolkaBear
2007-12-14, 10:27 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Mebbe all this will be interesting later, when we're having that chili cook-off among the crew. For now, the wizard's waiting--and so is my work."

Despite his grumping, he sidled up to Red once they got back on the road. "Find anything that looks tasty?"

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-14, 06:52 PM
The group leaves the city, heading due south to the wizard's castle. Travel is mostly uneventful..

Spot/Listen, please.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-14, 07:45 PM
Rolls:Spot: (1d20+8=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1427083) (Bleh)
Listen: (1d20+13=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1427085)(Geez, the dice hate me today...)

dr.cello
2007-12-14, 07:51 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-16, 08:29 AM
The group begins to move through a rather heavily forested area. Garsh, Toryn, and Riona all hear a sharp cry of help.

If anyone moves to investigate, then you follow the sound to a small clearing. A small, bony woman sits on the ground in a defensive gesture. She doesn't appear to have eaten in days, guessing by the gaunt appearance of her flesh and bones. To her immediate right and left are a pair of extremely large wolves. They seem significantly larger than any breed of wolf you've seen before..

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-16, 11:08 AM
Toryn raises an eyebrow at this. "'Ell, now, ain't this somethin'?" Toryn moves to draw his shortswords.

OOC:Initiative: (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1429363)

What's the battle ground look like? How much space between us and the nearest wolf? The farthest? The woman? Does the woman have any weapons or armor or anything remotely magical about her? Are these "big but it can happen wolves" big wolves or "holy crap he just swallowed Enpee Cee whole!" big wolves?

warbacon
2007-12-17, 08:21 PM
Gregor

Wolves don't usually attack humans ... do they? Having been born and raised in the city, Gregor doesn't have much experience with nature. I'm sure they go down like anything else does, though ...

[roll0]
Using Fell Flight if it wasn't up already, otherwise readying an action to use Eldritch Spear should the wolves make a move to attack either us or her.

dr.cello
2007-12-17, 08:33 PM
Riona Lochlainn
"Ah, good, I was getting bored." Riona grins like someone who thinks violence is near at hand. "Toryn, what say we flank the one on the left?"

Initiative!

Ready an action to charge the one on the left if the wolves do anything hostile (like look at me funny); into a flanking position if that's possible.
Rolls:
Attack: [roll]1d20+12
Damage: [roll1]
And the Just In Case rolls:
Critical confirmation: [roll2]
Sneak attack: [roll3]
Critical damage: [roll4]

EDIT: I severely botched the code on the first go.

dr.cello
2007-12-17, 08:35 PM
Okay, trying the attack again:
[roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-18, 07:35 AM
Map: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/Forestbattle.png?t=1197980572

Initiative:
Wolves - 20
Woman - 18
Toryn - 15
Riona - 11
Gregor - 9
Garsh - 7

Round 1:
20 - The wolves bite at the woman. One bites her leg and drags her down while the other misses horribly.
18 - The woman screams wildly while beating the wolf's mouth with her fist for 1 non-lethal. While she's distracted, both wolves try to nip at her arms and legs, but miss horribly.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-18, 07:55 AM
Toryn, AC: 25, HP: 34

Toryn nods to Riona and says, "A'ight, just get beside me, I know a few tricks at'll make 'at enough!" Then he sees the woman get bit, and leaps in head-first, drawing his blades and attempting an acrobatic tumble into position, staying out of wolf B's reach. When he reaches wolf A, he begins moving erratically, threatening the wolf with his blades from multiple angles. If he can, he will strike.

Rolls/actions:
Move action: Approaching wolf B, aiming for gridpoint O11 and avoiding wolf A's threatened zone.
Tumble check to avoid AoOs if needed: Tumble: (1d20+6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1433445) (Aw, hell)
Swift: Switch to Island of Blades stance.
Standard: If he needs to, another move to close the distance. If not, an attack (I'm assuming the unarmed woman doesn't technically threaten the wolves, so I'm not adding in flanking bonuses/sneak attack).
Attack, AR/DR: (1d20+12=23, 1d4+5=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1433447)

dr.cello
2007-12-18, 08:58 AM
Riona Lochlainn
Riona shouts a shapeless battlecry and moves to attack Wolf B, drawing her blade with a flash, tumbling as she approaches in attempts to avoid any attacks. "Get out while you can, lady," she calls, though her attention is clearly on her wolf of choice.

Move action: Approaching/tumbling. Destination is O-10. Rolls for tumbling:
Wolf A: [roll0]
Wolf B:[roll1] If reaching and attacking the wolves this turn is impossible with tumbling at half speed, I'll accept a -10 and attempt to tumble at full speed.

Attack action: Attacking Wolf B. I assume I'm flanking him with Toryn's Island of Blades? Including critical-based rolls as potentials.
Attack roll: [roll2]
Damage roll: [roll3]
Sneak attack: [roll4]
Crit confirmation: [roll5]
Crit damage: [roll6]

Misc: Designating Wolf A as the target for her dodge bonus.

warbacon
2007-12-19, 05:48 AM
Gregor

"Hah! Zhe fight is on!" Gregor cackles as he calls forth the eldritch energies which are his birthright. The pendant around his neck glows briefly with an eerie purplish light just before a powerful spear of energy flies from his fingertip.

Since my previous decisions for the round seem voided by initiative, I'll say here what I want to do.

From the map, it looks like I'm within 30 ft. of Wolf B, so Point Blank shot bonuses apply. If I am incorrect, I'll take a 5 ft. step or move action to get within 30 ft.

Standard action: use Eldritch Blast on Wolf B. Chasuble of Fell Power increases damage by 1d6.
[roll0] Ranged Touch attack
[roll1] Untyped damage

Status: on sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=28044)
AC: 19, HP: 32/32
Effects: See the Unseen, All Seeing Eyes

PolkaBear
2007-12-19, 01:33 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh grunted and drew a greenish-black dagger as he took a few steps forward. He seemed to kiss the weapon before throwing it at the nearest wolf. The blade miraculously reappeared in his hand a moment later.

Drawing Meteoric Knife as he moves to M7. Using one charge to activate Returning property. Throwing it at Wolf A (nice battle diagram, by the way).

[roll0]
[roll1], if necessary
[roll2]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-20, 06:02 AM
The Map (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/Images.png)

Wolves - Pink - 20
Woman - Gray - 18
Toryn - Brown - 15
Claire - Blue - 14
Riona - Light Purple - 11
Drass - Yellow - 10
Red - Green - 10
Gregor - Dark Purple - 9
Garsh - Orange - 7

20 - The wolves bite at the woman. One bites her leg and drags her down while the other misses horribly.
18 - The woman screams wildly while beating the wolf's mouth with her fist for 1 non-lethal. While she's distracted, both wolves try to nip at her arms and legs, but miss horribly.
15- Toryn tumbles to O-11 and attacks Wolf B, dealing 8 points of damage.
14- Claire rushes to L-12 and begins singing. Her bard song gives +1 attack/damage.
11- Riona dashes to O-10 and attacks. She deals 11 points of damage.
10- Red runs forward and attacks Wolf A. He deals 9 points of damage.
9- Gregor moves forward and fires a blast of energy that hits. He deals 14 points of damage.
7- Garsh moves to N-7(M-7 is out of range) and throws his knife. It deals 4 points of damage.

Round 2-
20- The wolves turn to the new threat. Wolf A slowly advances(five foot step) and bites at Garsh. It hits and deals 16 points of damage. Wolf B slowly moves down(five foot step) and bites at Toryn. It misses.
18- The woman stands, but the wolves ignore her.

Red

The gnoll draws his cleaver and knife. For a second, the creature stops being Red and throws back it's head in a howl! The gnoll, losing himself before his people's natural predator, charges forward. He swings his cleaver and the blade bites into the wolf's flesh.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-20, 08:22 AM
Toryn, AC: 25, HP: 34

Toryn continues his multi-angled assault, and this time thrusts forwards with both of his blades, aiming for wolf A's neck.

Rolls/actions:FULL ATTACK!
Attack 1, AR/DR (1d20+11=19, 1d4+6=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437387)
Attack 1 Sneak Attack: (2d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437388)
Attack 2 AR/DR: (1d20+11=30, 1d4+6=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437392)
Attack 2 Crit Confirmation/DR: (1d20+11=13, 1d4+6=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437394) (Bah, probably doesn't confirm...)
Attack 2 Sneak Attack: (2d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437397)

warbacon
2007-12-20, 02:13 PM
Gregor

Seeing his blast dig into the wolf is immensely satisfying to Gregor, yet at the same time he's assaulted by memories of the misuses and abuses of his birthright in the past. Shaking off those feelings, he yells, "Ha HA! Again!" and continues to fire at the wolf.

Standard action: fires another Eldritch Blast at wolf B.
[roll0] Ranged touch.
[roll1]

AC: 19, HP: 32/32
Effects: See the Unseen, All Seeing Eyes

pingcode20
2007-12-21, 06:09 PM
Red
For Red, the world around him blurred, his rigid compulsions starting to fade as adrenaline pumped through his body, his eyes fading over with red as old skill forgotten surges to the surface, his mind zeroing in on the predator's throat.

With a terrible yell, he leaps at the wolf, swinging his chef's knife and the cleaver at the thing's throat, tearing into flesh with a sickening squelch.

Initiating Claw at the Moon maneuver at wolf A
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + [roll3]

PolkaBear
2007-12-22, 07:41 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

[[OOC: In Boston for Christmas hols. Will try to remain regular in posting. Connection difficulties today/tonight.]]

Garsh howled in pain and swung his dagger again.

[roll0] <-- Would I get a flanking bonus? If so, increase the roll.
[roll1], if necessary
[roll2]

dr.cello
2007-12-22, 08:59 PM
Riona Lochlainn

Filled with misplaced confidence after successfully not getting attacked, Riona continues her attack on Wolf B. If necessary, she takes a five foot step closer.

Actions/attacks:

Full round: Five-foot step if necessary. Attacks wolf B.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak attack (from flanking): [roll2]
Critical confirmation: [roll3]
Critical damage: [roll4]

EDIT: [[OOC: I may also be sparse around Christmas; visiting family. Also, Garsh, I think you just confirmed a critical there.]]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-24, 05:57 AM
DM

That got much easier once everyone started working together.

Wolf A had 2 HP left, and Wolf B had 1. :smallamused:

The party rails against the wolves but the wolves are still standing after the barrage of attacks. Shaky, but standing. Drass finishes off Wolf A with a stab from his short sword, while Claire finishes off Wolf B with her shortbow.

The woman continues to cower, obviously expecting something from you. "Please, please don't hurt me.. I'm just a simple farmer. Please!"

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-24, 11:16 AM
Toryn beams a grin to the woman. "Now what makes you think we're gonna hurt ya, huh? We saw someone in trouble, an' we came ta help, 'at's all, yeah?"

He sheaths his short swords, but keeps his left hand on the hilt at his hip. He closes his eyes and focuses his mind on the senses of a preditor cat, taking a deep breath and trying to discern any threatening scents over all the wolf blood.

OOC:Toryn switches to Hunter's Sense stance and tries to use his scent ability to find any other hidden threats, especially wolves in hiding.

dr.cello
2007-12-24, 01:10 PM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona wipes the blood from her rapier absently, looking around before putting it away with just a hint of a flourish. "Anyway, I can't imagine thinking there's anything you have worth stealing. Care to tell us what happened? Not every day you get mauled by giant wolves."

pingcode20
2007-12-25, 07:34 AM
Red
Red's features soften as the two wolves fall, putting away his knives, the blood flying off it and his clothes in a dry red mist as he turns to the woman, almost completely different from his feral state.

"You're safe now, ma'am." he said, falling back on practiced speech patterns, sounding slightly awkward in the process. "Where are you from? I can't imagine how wolves this big could have gotten very near a town."

warbacon
2007-12-25, 03:15 PM
Gregor

Satisfied with his work, Gregor relaxes his jaw and brushes himself off. He's letting the other talk to the woman for now -- it's actually more than a little suspicious to find a farm girl in the middle of the forest being attacked by extraordinarily large and vicious wolves. Simply put, he thinks to himself, it just smells fishy.

However, Gregor tries to hide this feeling and walks up slowly to her, bowing slightly as he holds out his hand to help her get up.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-27, 12:22 AM
Farmer

"I live on a farm just south of here. It's small, and really doesn't fit on any of the maps 'cause it's just me, me brother, 'n me folks. Well, we've had some problems lately. A thief made off with our sheep, and we don't grow enough to feed the family. So me brother 'n I went out to find deer meat."

She points toward the ground where both wolves are lying. "I found that."

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-27, 08:49 PM
Toryn at last relaxes his muscles and looks about the scene. He turns to the woman and says with a grin, "Well, you're lucky we 're about, yeah? Not dead, and now y' got some wolf meat to take back." He pauses for a moment as his smile fades. "'Ey, you got bit di'n' ya? How bad is it?" He takes a look at the woman's leg, though being no doctor, he's unlikely to be able to make anything of it.

pingcode20
2007-12-28, 09:51 PM
Red
"Did your brother escape?" asks Red, somewhat worried again.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-29, 12:05 PM
"I don't know what happened to him.. We split up to hunt. I hope he's ok.." The woman grows quiet, obviously worried about her brother.

PolkaBear
2007-12-31, 09:37 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"You know what direction he went?" the Hadozee asked from up the tree he had climbed as soon as the second wolf fell. "Mebbee I can see him if you point me straight."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-01, 09:10 AM
"Uh.. We split up at home.. He went in the other direction from me." She points off to the west. "My home is that way.."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-01, 08:40 PM
Toryn crosses his arms and gives a slight chuckle, muttering to himself something about ignoring the halfling. He speaks up now, saying, "So what 'bout your leg? Can you walk?"

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-01, 10:17 PM
The girl stands up. For some reason, you can't help but think she didn't quite look as young as she does now when the wolves were biting her. "I'm fine. But we have to go find my brother! And warn my family!" She turns to limp toward the farm, but stumbles when she puts her weight on her injured limb.

Claire moves over and forces the girl down before retrieving a healer's kit from her backpack. She immediately begins working on the girl's leg. While she works, Drass shoulders his bow and motions toward wolf tracks in the dirt. "Well, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to find out where those wolves came from. Better use of my time than tracking down some bumpkin who got lost in the woods, no?" The girl pips up when she hears his remark. "But what if they attack my familiy! Please! Help them first!" Your companion just responds by spitting on the ground and moving over to study the tracks.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-02, 08:24 AM
The more the woman talks, the darker Toryn's expression gets. When Drass speaks, Toryn takes a moment to get Garsh and Gregor's attention by nudging their knees. His characteristic grin is gone, replaced by a frown as he glances to his side, keeping an eye on the girl. He nods his head away from the others and begins walking further away from the group, beckoning the two casters to follow him.

warbacon
2008-01-04, 09:50 PM
Gregor

Never one to miss such a blatant hint, Gregor nods ever-so-slightly to Toryn and backs away from the all-too-innocent lass, and follows Toryn to see what he has to say.

PolkaBear
2008-01-06, 12:23 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh swung competently and quickly to the ground to hear what Toryn had to say.

pingcode20
2008-01-06, 02:02 AM
Red
Red's first response is to immediately help the girl and take her words at face value. However, as he sees Toryn's dark expression, he starts to worry.

Doing his best to fight the urge to immediately help the girl, he sat down on a rock, closing his eyes tightly and noticably struggling to keep the girl's plight out of his mind and avoid the urge to do as the girl asked straight away.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-06, 02:25 AM
Lass

The girl's face suddenly goes dark. "Y-you.. Y-y-your not gonna help them.. A-a-are you?! I-I c-can't believe this! Y-you're gonna let my f-family d-die~!"

She drops to her knees and breaks down into tears.

Claire sighs, then tries unsuccessfully to console the poor girl. Even Drass has second thoughts about leaving, evident by the fact that he turned around and is standing behind Red at the moment.

pingcode20
2008-01-06, 03:32 AM
[roll0] Just as a personal guideline.

EDIT: Huh. Natural One.

Red
Red twitches at this display, and his attempts to resist the pounding of angry hammers in his head finally capitulate. He stands up.

"Alright, alright. Which way is your family?"

dr.cello
2008-01-06, 03:57 AM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona takes out her rapier again and leans against a tree, polishing it absently, watching the girl carefully. "I'm sure everything will be fine," she says, mentally adding, for us. "They just like to talk about plans before anything else."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-06, 08:56 AM
Toryn hears the girl's cries, but doesn't say anything. He keeps his voice low so that only the two spellcasters can hear. "Somethin' stinks here, really bad-like. We need ta take every word 'at girl says wit' a full bucket a' salt, yeah? Can't quite place it, but somethin's really wrong 'ere. I'm thinkin' maybe some spellwork at work 'ere on 'at girl's mind. Maybe one 'a you two can check on 'at? 'Sa hunch, but my hunches 're usually good."

dr.cello
2008-01-06, 09:10 AM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona glances over at Toryn and his quiet meeting, and gives the girl a much more focused look as she continues to absently polish her rapier. This is the sort of thing that doesn't happen.

Roll:

Sense Motive on the girl, to see if anything is suspicious/unusual/hunchworthy:
[roll0]

My deductive powers are weak today.

warbacon
2008-01-06, 12:21 PM
Gregor

Nodding to Toryn again, Gregor fixes his gaze on the woman and echoes Riona, "Yes, everything will be fine." As he walks towards her very slowly he gaze does not waver or falter and is probably a little creepy for the girl.

Using detect magic to .... detect magic on the girl. If there's any magic there I'll spend a few more rounds trying to pinpoint it. After that's done I'm going to look around for any other signs of magic (except us, of course)

warbacon
2008-01-07, 07:53 PM
Gregor

His analysis complete, Gregor turns his back towards the girl and takes the few steps back towards Toryn. He leans in close and motions others to do the same. "A faint enchantment. On zhe girl and on zhe volf corpses. Zomezhing iz definitely not vhat it seems."

Dropping his head for a moment and sighing heavily, he continues: "Sadly I don't have anyzhink zhat can dispel zhe magics. Garsh, maybe you have zomethink? In any case, I zhink it vould be foolish to trust her."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-08, 05:11 AM
Toryn's eyes widen at Gregor's words. "On th' lady AN' the wolves? 'At seals it, we'd be walkin' right into some kin'na trap to go with 'er."

He pauses for a moment and continues, "But we can't jus' leave, can we? For all we know, she's a victim 'ere, yeah? Plus, we can't jus' leave 'er to trap someone else comin' 'is way."

PolkaBear
2008-01-08, 05:55 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh shook his head. "Not all magic is sinister or troublesome. It could be a simple warding spell or a charm she's wearing that gives the girl an aura. Did you look long enough to identify it?" Garsh grunted dismissively. "It's the trace of magic on these wolfy beasts that would have me more worried. Still, nothing says that the wolves were her doing. They did attack her, after all."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-08, 10:47 PM
Red

The girl sniffles and rubs her nose. She points off to the south. "*Hick* I-I think it's-s th-that way.."

PolkaBear
2008-01-09, 12:30 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh left the huddle and stumped over to the woman. "There's an air of enchantment on you, girl. You know what it's from? These carcasses carry it, too."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-09, 01:07 AM
The girl's jaw hung limply, and her head dips ever so lightly to one side. She looks very, very confused. "T-theres a-a wh-what now?"

warbacon
2008-01-09, 02:27 AM
Gregor

Gregor raises a fist quickly as Garsh starts to speak to the girl, but soon it is too late; the words spoken, the damage done. Still, he grabs him by the upper arm and pulls him close.

"You fool. Do you not know zhat certain magics allow you to view zhose you control? And zhe enchantment on her is of the charm and compulsion type -- just zhe kind you vould use to turn an innocent girl into bait!"

Admittedly, Gregor was letting paranoia get the better of him and overblowing the danger somewhat. Still, it makes me uneasy.... he thinks.

Turning back to Toryn, he suggests, "I agree vit you: I don't zhink valking away vill help zhis problem. Either zhis is a trap made for us, at vhich point our best course of action is to deal vit it now, or it is an undirected trap, and for everyone's sake ve should dispose of it. I say ve follow her, but very very carefully."

dr.cello
2008-01-09, 02:59 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"Well, on the plus side," mutters Riona to Gregor, slowly putting her sword away, "if it's a trap, now they know that we know about it. Keep an eye out, yeah? If anything funny goes on I'd like to know."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-09, 07:12 AM
Toryn glares at Garsh, but like Gregor he was unable to stop his speech. After a sigh, Toryn donns a grim smirk. He speaks up so that all can hear now and says, "'Ell, such is life, yeah?" Toryn points a thumb at Gregor and says, "Methinks he's got the right idea 'ere. I'll keep a sharp ear an' nose out, but I think we follow 'er."

OOC:Toryn's still in the Hunter stance, so he has the scent special ability. The moment he smells something out of place, he will stop and signal everyone else to do so as well, followed by spot and listen checks.

PolkaBear
2008-01-09, 03:50 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh pursed his lips and blows through them, making a rude sound. "Just like humans to douse a torch from fear of the night hunters, then stub their toe in the darkness. If someone's watching, they'd be suspicious already with all your huddling and whispering; but now we know that the spell's nothing this woman admits to putting on herself. That information narrows down the possibilities for us. See, it's like diagnosing a misbehaving piece of--aw, never mind. I just saw we follow along with our eyes open."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-10, 02:13 PM
The House

The party agrees to help, and all eight of you head off to the southeast. Toryn is walking about, sniffing the air, while Gregor sweeps his magical sight across the landscape.

The group arrives at a ruined house, where the girl immediately breaks down crying once she sees the home. The walls are still standing, but the door, windows, and roof are completely gone. The stone walls are blackened, as if they had been burned, but the house is cold.

With or without scent, everyone immediately smells the building. It reeks of old death, as if someone had died earlier in the week and left to rot. A quick search reveals the decaying corpse of two humans laying on the ground next to the house. They're laying face down and their bodies are headless, almost as if someone had executed them.

dr.cello
2008-01-10, 07:11 PM
Riona Lochlainn

"They could at least clean up after themselves," mutters Riona, keeping a hand on her sword. "I guess it's a good thing. They aren't pretending that, for instance, they have good intentions."

PolkaBear
2008-01-10, 08:00 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Nasty work." Garsh noted the corpses' clothes [OOC: Farmer togs? Gender indications?] and what was left of their necks [OOC: Ragged as if from beasts or clean as if from a weapon?] before placing a hand on the sobbing woman's shoulder. "How long ago did you leave this place?" he asked soberly.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-10, 09:12 PM
DM

The cuts look clean, as if they had been cut off in one brutal swipe. Both bodies are wearing the tattered remains of a farmer's smock. They don't have any distinguishable gender, primarily due to the week or more of decay.

The girl doesn't acknowledge Garsh. She just keeps crying and moaning.

dr.cello
2008-01-10, 11:22 PM
Riona Lochlainn

Riona sighs and takes her time searching the general area for anything noteworthy. "Could someone help me look around? And if we are searching caring about the house, I am not going in alone. Not that we'll be accomplishing much either way, on account of the people we were going to save being summarily executed."

Roll:
Taking 20 on Search: 23

PolkaBear
2008-01-10, 11:36 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Put our eyes together and we'll be more effective. Good idea. Would you let me take the lead on the search? I've had to read a few burns like this in diagnosing faulty airship equipment, and there are specific features to look for."

Garsh takes 20 for a check of 28. My guess is that he has the highest search check; so it would be most effective if others aided him rather than vice versa. Of course, you may decide otherwise for RP reasons.

In order to interpret what they learn about the burn:
[roll0]
[roll1], to see if it's magical in origin
[roll2], in case it appears to be magical in origin

If appropriate, I'll make other checks later as appropriate for the non-fire-related results of the search.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-11, 10:36 AM
"You keep an eye on th' burns Garsh. I'll keep an eye out for any traps. This stinks a' more 'an burned wood." Toryn puts a suspicious eye on the girl before he moves cautiously into the house, trying to stay even with Garsh. As he searches, he asks, "Can ya do another sweep fer magic stuff, Gregor?

Rolls:Firstly, a sense motive on the crying girl.

Sense Motive: (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1458895/)

Also taking 20 on a search check: result 28. Sense Toryn has trapfinding and Garsh appears to not, he'll search seperately rather than aiding. If Garsh actually DOES have trapfinding and it's just not on his sheet or covered in an ability that isn't named "trapfinding," he'll aid instead.

pingcode20
2008-01-11, 07:30 PM
Red
Red sits down next to the girl.

"Cheer up, miss. Your brother is still out there, somewhere." he says, sighing. It was too late, even if they'd left straight away.

It did click in his mind, though, that this girl must have been gone for at least a week, and she wasn't carrying food supplies of any kind.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-11, 07:44 PM
The girl doesn't respond to Red's rather weak attempt at cheering her up.

warbacon
2008-01-12, 04:51 AM
Gregor

Gregor decides to make himself useful and sweeps his arcane sight through the house and surrounding area. There should be some magical residue if a powerful magical being passed through here ...

After his search, Gregor takes flight and flies high above the house, to get some idea of the lay of the land in the region.

Taking 20 with detect magic = 22.
Activating Fell Flight and trying to spot any sort of ... well, anything that looks like a point of interesting. Taking up to a minute (10 rounds) to do so.
[roll0] each +6

PolkaBear
2008-01-12, 11:46 AM
Garsh Mikelmirth

"Well, the fire's over a week old. Mundane, too, not magic. I'd guess some sort of banditry going on around here, and these folks got caught in the middle."

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-13, 06:28 PM
At Garsh's words, Toryn perks up. "A week? Really?" The halfling seems puzzled by this, and turns to the girl. "This ain't your place, yeah?"

Rolls:Preemptive Sense Motive check.

Sense Motive: (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1460671/)

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-13, 07:21 PM
Girl

"A week?! But.. I.. N-no. This.. This was my home. It's right where it should be.. But what happened? Where is my family? My brother?"

You get the sense that she is telling the truth.

warbacon
2008-01-14, 02:05 AM
Gregor

Gregor misses most of the conversation but catches the girl's words as he flies back down to the house. "Vell clearly your family have angered somevon. It is only a matter of findink out whom.." Without a loss in momentum, Gregor alights and begins to pace, stroking his goatee.

"First, whoever did zhis vanted not only to hurt your family but to ruin zhis farm; the house is burnt down, zhe fields salted," he begins, "yet zhey left you alive. You vere put under a magical compulsion, possibly kidnapped, vere made to forget. Vhy?" He stops for a moment.

"To attract attention. Zhis vas meant to be found, but for vhat reason I do not know. Eizher zhat or you are zhe perpetrator here."

Pre-emptive Sense Motive for her response to Gregor's impropriety. [roll0]

"But I digress. I suggest ve examine zhe field, over zhere," he continues, pointing out the field, "and zhen see if zhe vizardess, not far in zhat direction," pointing south, "can make some sense of zhese magics on zhe girl."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-14, 02:46 AM
DM

Gregor's attempt to point the finger at her as the villainess causes the poor little thing to break down into tears.

Sense Motive: She's honestly crying and telling you the truth.

dr.cello
2008-01-14, 08:44 AM
Riona Lochlainn

"Whatever else, I don't think we're going to find anything here. So let's go see the wizard. I don't trust our host and I don't think his friends are trustworthy, either. But there's... if there's an answer we'll find it there. I just don't think it's the answer you're hoping for."

OOC: Cue Oz reference.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-14, 11:24 AM
Toryn pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. "'At might be like walkin' right into th' fire t' find out what's cookin'. I guess I don't 'ave any better ideas, but man... This 'ole thing's more sinister by th' minute." He looks to the sobbing girl conflicting feelings of pity and suspicion.

pingcode20
2008-01-15, 03:29 AM
Red
Red does not say anything, and makes as if to follow the will of the party.

PolkaBear
2008-01-15, 12:27 PM
Garsh Mikelmirth

A hairy arm went around the woman's shoulders. Garsh's voice was uncharacteristically gentle. "It's not easy, is it? I'm sorry for your loss. I wish we could have helped. If we find whoever did this or some sort of explanation for you, we'll let you know. It won't take the pain away, but maybe it will help you find some peace."

Garsh tried hard not to sniffle; but the thought of being separated from family--in her case, for the rest of her life--was not a small thing. "Do you have some friends or other relatives you could stay with? We could escort you there before we go."