PDA

View Full Version : Cloud as a flying mount

Pejot
2019-09-03, 02:20 AM
Hello giants,
I am playing in a beer and pretzels style campaign with friends (sword coast setting).
Our DM has decided we will all get special mounts over the course of the campaign.

I have gotten mine first and its a magic cloud my wizard can fly on. Since we are only lvl 6 we decided that it can not fly with me on it yet, so it only hovers and has similar speed to a riding horse.

The cloud was created by cloud giants and we agreed that it should have consciousness, but not be super intelligent.

I sometimes cast the fog cloud spell and the cloud absorbs it, to become stronger, so that it eventually will be able to carry me through the skies.

I am looking for advice and inspiration for fluff, rules and a name for the cloud :)

Thanks in advance!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-03, 03:23 AM
Did you watch dragon ball?
The Flying Nimbus can be a good inspiration.

Pejot
2019-09-03, 09:56 AM
I think thats where my DM has the idea from. I never watched dragonball but will look up the cloud, thanks.
Do you have an idea how to implement it rule wise?

Nagog
2019-09-03, 11:31 AM
Rule-wise I'd have it only able to work similarly to a horse as it is now until level 7-8ish, somewhere late Tier 2 where flying becomes an uncommon occurance, then give it limited flight. Perhaps it can fly but not higher than 30 feet above the ground, and if it flies off a cliff it slowly floats to the ground as per the Levitate spell? Perhaps you can upgrade this ability for aa short time by casting Fly and/or Levitate on it, then in tier 3 (level 11/12ish) it gains full flight. That's how I'd do it anyway.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-03, 11:41 AM
The cloud is marked by your soul.
You can call him and if you are on the same plane he will know your location and come to you.

The cloud have x movement speed(I think 60 or something based on the user between 1 to 2 times your speed, you can also start with 1 time your speed and make it scale up as you level up).

In order to mount the cloud you need to jump on him as he comes under you.

Your legs are stuck to the cloud until you dismount it - like spider climb
(use the normal mount rules and you can change it as the cloud get stronger).

Start with it being a controlled and use the rules for intelligent mount at higher levels.

Give the cloud some actions as he level up(something like giving you the benefit of the action that start with d and make stuff attack you with disadvantage(I can't remember it's name) x per long or short rest).

Ventruenox
2019-09-03, 03:11 PM
I would take the standard black bear statblock, replacing the climb speed with a flight speed. It retains the appearance of a bear, only holding a borrowed blue balloon and slathered in mud.

Bite and claw attacks could be reskinned as thunder or lightning damage. It also has vulnerability to stinging insect attacks.

Knaight
2019-09-03, 04:18 PM
I think thats where my DM has the idea from. I never watched dragonball but will look up the cloud, thanks.
Do you have an idea how to implement it rule wise?

Dragonball is a retelling of Journey to the West, with the character of Goku being a reinterpretation of Sun Wukong (a.k.a. Monkey). The cloud was there first (though I strongly suspect it dates back further), and that could provide inspiration.

Pejot
2019-09-04, 11:22 AM
Thank you all very much, lots of Inspiration and helpful info! I will try to create a creature with some of the characteristics mentioned here and post it for feedback when i am done.
Cheers

Pejot
2019-09-06, 01:09 AM
Hello, I have created the cloud in an app called monster creator. Can I upload the png files directly to giantitp. Is there a thread where uploading is explained?