PDA

View Full Version : Warding Bond and H. Armour Master?

Lyracian
2019-09-03, 03:27 AM
Salutations Readers,

I have seen a few people post about using the damage reduction from HAM on the transferred damage from Warding Bond spell. For example Fighter takes 12 slashing damage from a none-magical weapon; Resistance from Warding Bond reduces this to 6. You take 6 and HAM damage reduction reduces this to 3 damage.

Not sure if this is RAW or one of those "depends on the GM" but I was trying to understand why?

If the damage you take is from the same attack then Damage reduction happens before damage resistance and this has already been applied to the target?
If the damage you take is considered a new source, because it is from the spell, it is neither none-magical or from an attack?

H. Armour Master (167)
While you are wearing heavy armor, B/P/S damage that you take from nonmagical weapons is reduced by 3.

DAMAGE RESISTANCE (p.197)
Resistance are applied after all other modifiers to damage.
Multiple instances of resistance that affect the same damage type count as only one instance.

Warding Bond Spell (p.287)
Target has resislance lo ali damage. AIso, each lime il lakes damage, you lake lhe same amount of damage.

Jerrykhor
2019-09-03, 04:29 AM
HAM only reduces damage from nonmagical weapons. Warding Bond shared damage is not nonmagical weapon. So they don't interact with each other.

Lyracian
2019-09-03, 05:01 AM
HAM only reduces damage from nonmagical weapons. Warding Bond shared damage is not nonmagical weapon. So they don't interact with each other.
That was my view but there are various builds, such as this one, that seem to think it works.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23910132&postcount=98

LudicSavant
2019-09-03, 05:12 AM
My understanding is that the damage is supposed to simply be mirrored in all aspects, including type. Here's JC's tweet on the matter (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/805222825183219712).

Justin Sane
2019-09-03, 05:46 AM
Salutations Readers,

I have seen a few people post about using the damage reduction from HAM on the transferred damage from Warding Bond spell. For example Fighter takes 12 slashing damage from a none-magical weapon; Resistance from Warding Bond reduces this to 6. You take 6 and HAM damage reduction reduces this to 3 damage.
[snip]
DAMAGE RESISTANCE (p.197)
Resistance are applied after all other modifiers to damage.
Multiple instances of resistance that affect the same damage type count as only one instance.Emphasis mine. So the Fighter would take 4 damage ((12 - 3 [HAM]) / 2 [resistance], rounded down).

Lyracian
2019-09-03, 06:57 AM
Emphasis mine. So the Fighter would take 4 damage ((12 - 3 [HAM]) / 2 [resistance], rounded down).
The Fighter does not have HAM; you, the Cleric, have HAM.

My understanding is that the damage is supposed to simply be mirrored in all aspects, including type. Here's JC's tweet on the matter (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/805222825183219712).
Thanks; if the source is the same it has already been through damage reduction/resistance that the Target of WB has so I do not see why you would get to apply them again on the damage the cleric takes.

Justin Sane
2019-09-03, 10:55 AM
The Fighter does not have HAM; you, the Cleric, have HAM.Sorry, misunderstood the question.

In that case, from Warding Bond: "Also, each time it takes damage, you take the same amount of damage." Same is same, even if Warding Bond doesn't have the "this damage can't be reduced in any way" verbiage from similar abilities.