PDA

View Full Version : what book is the warlock patron the raven queen in?

Naknakthebedshe
2019-09-03, 04:39 AM
Just what the title asks. It seems like all of its class abilities are flavorful for rp. I like it but it would be a shame if it was just well done homebrew.

Cheesegear
2019-09-03, 04:49 AM
Just what the title asks. It seems like all of its class abilities are flavorful for rp. I like it but it would be a shame if it was just well done homebrew.

She has a write-up in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
Warlock can pick her in Xanathar's.

Reynaerde
2019-09-03, 04:52 AM
The Raven Queen Patron was in Unearthed Arcana, which is the playtest material Wizards of the Coast publish on their website: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/warlock-and-wizard

Some of this Unearthed Arcana material later ends up in official publications like Xanathar's Guide to Everything, some of it is revised and put out through Unearthed Arcana for further play testing. Neither of these things happened to this patron. So it's not homebrew, but it isn't fully playtested or officially published either.

Reynaerde
2019-09-03, 04:55 AM
Warlock can pick her in Xanathar's.She doesn't appear as a patron in Xanathar, although she is mentioned as a rumored source of the Hexblade pact.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-09-03, 05:09 AM
So from what I am reading the raven queen is not a patron yet or set in a book I have access to once a week.

Haydensan
2019-09-03, 05:59 AM
So from what I am reading the raven queen is not a patron yet or set in a book I have access to once a week.

As Reynaerde posted, the patron was in Unearthed Arcana and was not published afterwards. Only WotC knows if they plan to publish this (afaik).

You have access to the patron write up via the Unearthed Arcana document, this was kindly linked by Reynaerde:

The Raven Queen Patron was in Unearthed Arcana, which is the playtest material Wizards of the Coast publish on their website: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/warlock-and-wizard

snip

Chronos
2019-09-03, 03:21 PM
But of course, it's up to your DM whether he wants to allow Unearthed Arcana material, and it's not legal in any AL game. It's probably best for a DM to take UA on a case-by-case basis: Some of it is very good and improves the game, some of it is extremely unbalanced (in either direction), and some of it is oh-god-just-why?.

Ventruenox
2019-09-03, 03:32 PM
Some of it is very good and improves the game, some of it is extremely unbalanced (in either direction), and some of it is oh-god-just-why?.

Yeah, when I ran a refluffed Raven Queen patron Bardlock as a pure support character, I was pretty sure my DM was getting fed up with my Perception checks consistently being 27-32.