PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Understanding NPCs - How to Make Choices

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-03, 04:43 AM
Erm, does anyone here do theater, improv or take acting lessons?

I remember a watching a theater group practice when I was in school and the teacher had these 'tips and tricks' on how to extract your character from a script. It revolved around thinking about that characters goals in a scene and, based on the character's dialogue, be able to tackle a completely unscripted scene as that character. It was based around the theme that 'It's only a character if he has to make decisions. Understanding where your character is coming from and where he is going is a way to deduce what kind of choices he'll make in scenarios not in the script.'

I am not a creative person. You could say I'm more interpretatively creative. I can work with people to create, I can take things and change them, but when staring at a blank piece of x, I don't get anywhere.

If I have a character that's only meant to deliver some dialogue, how do I accurately guess what kind of choices that character makes if forced into the role of a more dynamic NPC?

For those familiar with Waterdeep, the NPC in question is Melanner, the Emerald Enclave's quest giver. In the module, we get nothing about her. We simply get 'Friendly but humorless'. We don't even get a description of the Phaulkonmere estate or the personal motivations of the two characters found there. It's easy to make decisions as a farmer or a member of the City Watch. I know what their main motivation is. One wants consistency, safety and profit in his life, the other one wants to uphold the law, he doesn't want any trouble and wants to 'keep the blood of the streets'. If these characters were to make decisions I have these ideals to fall back on, and interpret into a more dynamic NPC.

For those more creative than me, coming up with personalities for Melanner is a breeze. But for someone more interpretive like me, I am completely at a loss. I have nothing to fall back on if that character has to make a decision. She is given no motivation. Even if she were given motivation, I'd probably get no reason as to why that's the motivation she was given. This is quite different from other quest givers, such as The Harpers' Old Wolf, which is a pretty well fleshed-out NPC.

How do you create a decision-making algorithm for a character who has a place in the world, but no clear motivation or goals?

stoutstien
2019-09-03, 07:03 AM
Erm, does anyone here do theater, improv or take acting lessons?

I remember a watching a theater group practice when I was in school and the teacher had these 'tips and tricks' on how to extract your character from a script. It revolved around thinking about that characters goals in a scene and, based on the character's dialogue, be able to tackle a completely unscripted scene as that character. It was based around the theme that 'It's only a character if he has to make decisions. Understanding where your character is coming from and where he is going is a way to deduce what kind of choices he'll make in scenarios not in the script.'

I am not a creative person. You could say I'm more interpretatively creative. I can work with people to create, I can take things and change them, but when staring at a blank piece of x, I don't get anywhere.

If I have a character that's only meant to deliver some dialogue, how do I accurately guess what kind of choices that character makes if forced into the role of a more dynamic NPC?

For those familiar with Waterdeep, the NPC in question is Melanner, the Emerald Enclave's quest giver. In the module, we get nothing about her. We simply get 'Friendly but humorless'. We don't even get a description of the Phaulkonmere estate or the personal motivations of the two characters found there. It's easy to make decisions as a farmer or a member of the City Watch. I know what their main motivation is. One wants consistency, safety and profit in his life, the other one wants to uphold the law, he doesn't want any trouble and wants to 'keep the blood of the streets'. If these characters were to make decisions I have these ideals to fall back on, and interpret into a more dynamic NPC.

For those more creative than me, coming up with personalities for Melanner is a breeze. But for someone more interpretive like me, I am completely at a loss. I have nothing to fall back on if that character has to make a decision. She is given no motivation. Even if she were given motivation, I'd probably get no reason as to why that's the motivation she was given. This is quite different from other quest givers, such as The Harpers' Old Wolf, which is a pretty well fleshed-out NPC.

How do you create a decision-making algorithm for a character who has a place in the world, but no clear motivation or goals?

It's mostly contextual. She's a member of the emerald enclave which is a faction with fairly loose and open interpretations of goals but they tend to want to help the rabble survive. The requests asked to the party aren't selfish or monetarily motivated.
The friendly but humorless snip to me reads like she finds satisfaction in her duties but gets little joy from it.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-03, 02:53 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I also have to determine the motivations of a, and get this, a talking horse...

This module is the best xD

So, what are Malennor and Maxeene like? What is their disposition towards the party? What were they doing before the party met up with them? What are they doing when the party is gone?

stoutstien
2019-09-03, 02:57 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I also have to determine the motivations of a, and get this, a talking horse...

This module is the best xD

So, what are Malennor and Maxeene like? What is their disposition towards the party? What were they doing before the party met up with them? What are they doing when the party is gone?

The horse is just a 'bit' part.. sorry couldn't resist.

a lot of these NPCs are left open-ended so you have the flexibility to interact with them and the party depending on their motivations and composition. If push comes to shove use a random personality table or use bad troupes.