PDA

View Full Version : Melee focused Valor Bard

CTurbo
2019-09-03, 05:51 AM
I am a level 7 Ghostwise Halfling Valor Bard with 11 Str, 20 Dex, 14 Con, 14 Int, 10 Wis, 16 Cha. I have a 20 AC with +1 studded leather and shield. I have the Sentinel and Blade Mastery feat. I have a +1 Rapier that I've been using but just got my hands on a +2 Scimitar of Speed which I love for this character. I know it competes with my Inspiration dice for my bonus action but it's still a great weapon for this character basically giving me 3 attacks most rounds.

I want to get this little guy as good as possible in melee. I'm torn between multiclassing next level or waiting until after level 10's Magical Secrets.

If I stay til level 10, what are some good magical secret spells? I was thinking either Haste, Holy Weapon, or Spirit Guardians. I don't want to load down on concentration spells though. Maybe Armor of Agathys would be a good pick. Plus the Lore Bard already has Haste.

I thought about 1-3 levels of Fighter for Dueling Style, Second Wind, Action Surge, and possible Battlemaster goodies.

Hexblade sounds interesting. Many features overlap, and I would still use Dex to attack, but Hexblade's Curse sounds good and I could get Armor of Agathys, Shield, and Wrathful Smite.

I'm considering 3-7 levels of Swashbuckler. Sentinel would allow me to pull off some extra sneak attacks. Uncanny Dodge and Evasion help greatly with the toughness I'm looking for.

I want Warcaster next chance I get. I wouldn't mind Mobile at some point.

Thoughts?

Haydensan
2019-09-03, 06:08 AM
If it were me I'd definitely be holding off MCing so that you get Magical Secrets as early as possible.

I think of your suggestions Holy Weapon is the best. It helps emphasise the melee idea, is very strong (especially so with your scimitar of speed), and is a long duration buff so would hopefully last for multiple encounters.

I would stray away from self casting Haste as losing concentration on a self haste is awful.

For your second choise I am a big fan of the wall spells at 5th, though YMMV

nickl_2000
2019-09-03, 06:51 AM
For level 10 spells, first thing here is that I'm assuming that you don't have a Paladin or Ranger in your party. If you do, well don't steal their thunder since that isn't nice to get their signature spells before they do. :smallbiggrin:

Find Greater Steed
Holy Weapon
Banishing Smite
Steel Wind Strike
Guardian of Nature
Stoneskin (expensive, but still cool)
Fire Shield
Banishment
Aura of Vitality

After level 10, I would look at Swashbuckler. You get a good bonus to your initiative (who doesn't like that), more damage from one hit per round, mobile (without taking the feat), and more bonus action options. It may be worth only taking 3 levels into Swashbuckler, then 3 levels into fighter after that.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-09-03, 12:06 PM
What is your normal role within the party, and what does the rest of the party look like? And what do they normally do?

Spectrulus
2019-09-03, 01:54 PM
If it were me I'd definitely be holding off MCing so that you get Magical Secrets as early as possible...

Absolutely this. Gaining access to 5th level spells from paladin, ranger or any other class is far more valuable than any multiclass.

Various Spell Smites, let alone Guardian of Nature's Tree Form, 4th level spell, giving you temporary health, straight advantage with Dex attacks, and advantage on Con saves to maintain is very strong for a bonus action spell. Very very good for your concept.