PDA

View Full Version : quick metamagic question

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 04:03 PM
There was a metamagic feat that made an area spell blow back anyone that failed a reflex save making those that failed the reflex save take 1d6 pts of dmg for every 10 ft they were blown back?

Firts, what's the name of the feat and where can i find it?
Second, whats the best spell to use with it?would a lightning bolt work with it if you hit him straight on so that he was blown back along the line of effect, that being a 120 ft line. Thus if you blast right in his face he takes an additional 12d6 damage?Would that work?

Plus, you could easily throw them off a cliff...try getting out of that...

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-13, 04:10 PM
hm.. I just saw this...

... (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=937625)

third post. I think it's explosive. not sure what book it is though.

Dode
2007-10-13, 04:12 PM
Explosive Spell, Complete Arcana.

Naturally, it works best with spells with a large area. The most economical use I could find for it would be an Explosive Entangle (wherein if you fail your reflex save, you're both held immobile to that spot AND violently ejected from that area) or Explosive Spike Stones. Of course, they also have a duration, so they could feasibly be exploding guys who fail their reflex saves all combat.

But it wouldn't work with that 120-ft. line, sadly.

Benefit: On a failed Reflex save, an explosive spell ejects any creature caught in its area, sending it to a location outside the nearest edge of that area, dealing additional damage and further knocking all creatures prone

So it would just knock your foe 5 feet to the left, somewhat illogically.

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 04:36 PM
Well..i coulnd't find rain of fire that was mentioned in the wizards forum...Is there any other useful spell that has a big area of effect?i think circle of death has a bigger on, but that's 9th level..

Dode
2007-10-13, 04:39 PM
Control Weather - Hailstorm?

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 04:45 PM
Explosive spell,can only be used with spells with an area of cone,cylinder,line or burst...so circle won't cut it...I think they did it just for this purpose, so you couldn't use it with spells with 2 miles of effect...control weather has an are effect of circle, so it can't apply...

Amiria
2007-10-13, 04:53 PM
Sunburst is an 80 ft. radius burst. And it is only an 8th level spell.

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 05:10 PM
Well..it aint really only 8th level...you need it to be max 7th level since explosive spell is +2 spell level.Thus 8th level requires 10 th level spells..thus maybe at 19th level, but more than that requires epic levels, that's why i said lower level spells, otherwise it's not going to be really useful...against higher level opponents it won't do much more damage...except against lower levels...so not really worth it...thus a lower level spell with big area and the explosive spell would be more useful in that way i think...

Dhavaer
2007-10-13, 05:12 PM
You could use Arcane Thesis. Or Sudden Explosive Apocalypse from the sky. It has an area of, what 1 mile/level? Something like that.

martyboy74
2007-10-13, 05:18 PM
Or Sudden Explosive Apocalypse from the sky. It has an area of, what 1 mile/level? Something like that.

Does that feat even exist, or is it just theoretical?

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 05:22 PM
I don't know precisely the the spell you're talking about but judging from the area of effect...it's a circle...so it wouldn't work...

Amiria
2007-10-13, 05:23 PM
Does that feat even exist, or is it just theoretical?

What ? Exlosive Spell is a feat from Complete Arcane, Arcane Thesis is a feat from Player's Handbook II.

Apocalypse from the Sky is a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness. And it has a 10 mile radius per caster level.

ChaosDefender24
2007-10-13, 05:24 PM
Actually there's a 20-level build out there that made the casting time of explosive AftS a standard action (as opposed to 24 hours), got rid of the ridiculous material component (a good-aligned artifact IIRC), and shaped the spell so that it wouldn't affect the caster. It was really cool.

martyboy74
2007-10-13, 05:45 PM
What ? Exlosive Spell is a feat from Complete Arcane, Arcane Thesis is a feat from Player's Handbook II.

Apocalypse from the Sky is a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness. And it has a 10 mile radius per caster level.

No, Sudden Explosive Spell. I don't remember that one being in CArc.

lord_khaine
2007-10-13, 05:48 PM
its made up, but there are prestice classes that allows you to aply metamagic feats for free.

edit.
as i recall explosive spell also require that the spell allows for a reflex save, so you cant apply it to a basic apocalypse from the sky.

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 05:50 PM
There is no sudden explosive spell in Complete arcane...though you might be able to convince the DM that you can have that...maybe some prerequisites for it, but i don't it officially exists anyway...

Edea
2007-10-13, 06:27 PM
its made up, but there are prestice classes that allows you to aply metamagic feats for free.

edit.
as i recall explosive spell also require that the spell allows for a reflex save, so you cant apply it to a basic apocalypse from the sky.

I believe Snowcasting is used to give the spell the [Cold] descriptor, then Energy Substitution is used to change the [Cold] descriptor to the [Electricity] descriptor, and then Born of the Three Thunders causes the spell to provoke both a Fortitude save and a Reflex save. I think that's how they got around it.

martyboy74
2007-10-13, 07:12 PM
I believe Snowcasting is used to give the spell the [Cold] descriptor, then Energy Substitution is used to change the [Cold] descriptor to the [Electricity] descriptor, and then Born of the Three Thunders causes the spell to provoke both a Fortitude save and a Reflex save. I think that's how they got around it.

That's all correct except that the Flash Frost metamgic is applied after Snowcasting. It gives the spell a point or two of damage, which lets energy substitution change the descriptor.

Edea
2007-10-13, 07:39 PM
Ahh, thought there was a step missing. Notice how specific this build is getting for the trick to work, lolol.

kemmotar
2007-10-13, 09:32 PM
its becoming a character that can destroy cities at will..but is useless for personal combat...

Maybe good for an evil epic cleric cohort...summon him to blackmail cities...otherwise leave him at your castle..