PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF1e] I need some help writing up Sigil factions as PF organizations

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-03, 08:44 AM
Because I am an absolute mad lad, I have decided to begin writing up the Planescape factions as Ultimate Intrigue organizations. I was inspired by the excellent City of 7 Seraphs, and the Parities from that book is largely what I'm basing the format of these organizations on. I also use stuff from Guile's World, since the Pathfinder conversions of the factions on that site are pure gold. I'm doing this in preparation for a campaign I'm running some time in the future.

The first faction I'm trying to do is the Athar. I've gotten to the part where I need to think up some Prestige point awards, and I'm stuck for ideas. The stuff I've already written down might need some heavy rework as well.

Name: The Athar (Defiers, The Lost)
Alignment and Prominence: Neutral preeminent organization
Key Members: Factol Terrance
Values: There are no gods among the planes, just powers and pretenders. A true god would not be dependant on the faith of its followers, or be able to die. If there is such a thing as true divinity the powers ain't it, berk!
Public Goals: Spread the truth about the so-called gods throughout the multiverse.
Private Goals: Work against the temples and churches of the powers to foil their plots and expose their lies.
Allies: The Believers of the Source philosophy is similar to the Athars, and they are frequently allies.
Enemies: All the major powers and their religions are at odds with the Athar philosophy.
Membership Requirements: Knowledge Religion: 1 rank, cannot have access to divine spells or Domain powers.
Influence Limitations: Each time yourwish to reach a new rank, you must achieve a significant victory over a force of the powers, or achieve some task of value to the Faction significantly more noteworthy than the last.
Special tasks:
Exposing the fraudulent powers (1 Favour/2 Fame): Once per month, you can increase your fame score or take a step towards raising your influence with the Athar by working against the powers. Thwarting a plan or plot of a power, or learning useful information about the powers and their plans satisfies this special task.
Benefits:
Passive Benefits (Fame Awards):

* Rank 1 (5 Fame) You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge: Religion checks. Diplomacy, Intimidate and Knowledge: Religion are always class skills for you.
* Rank 2 (20 Fame) You gain a +2 resistance bonus on saving throws against divine spells cast by a servant of a power.
* Rank 3 (35 Fame) You gain spell resistance equal to 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom modifier against certain faith-based spells when cast by servants of a power: Augury, bane, banishment, bestow curse, blasphemy, dictum, dismissal, divination, doom, enthral, geas/quest, holy word, lesser geas, and word of chaos. The GM may expand this list at their discretion.
* Rank 4 (50 Fame) You gain the continuous protection of a nondetection spell as though cast by a sorcerer of your level, but only against spells and spell-like abilities of powers and their servants. The DC of any attempt to break through the effect is equal to 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom modifier. You can choose to suppress this ability. Suppressing or re-establishing it is a free action.
Favors (Prestige Awards):

* Rank 1
* Rank 2
* Rank 3
* Rank 4

New benefits:

Eldan
2019-09-03, 09:01 AM
Do you have access to AD&D Planescape sources? Because in those, faction members got benefits depending on their rank, too. The Factol's Manifesto should help you. Alternatively, Planewalker, the Planescape fan site, probably still has faction feat and similar somewhere on their page. And finally, the Player's Guide to the Planes from 3E had prestige classes for the Planescape factions that you could probably mine for some ideas.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-03, 09:19 AM
Do you have access to AD&D Planescape sources? Because in those, faction members got benefits depending on their rank, too. The Factol's Manifesto should help you. Alternatively, Planewalker, the Planescape fan site, probably still has faction feat and similar somewhere on their page. And finally, the Player's Guide to the Planes from 3E had prestige classes for the Planescape factions that you could probably mine for some ideas.

I do have those books, and Ive been looking at them for ideas. I'm not very good at mechanics though, so I was hoping for some ideas and advice from the playground.

Eldan
2019-09-03, 09:48 AM
Ah. Nevermind, then. I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't play Pathfinder.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-03, 11:03 AM
One of the things I’m not sure about are the Fame Awards. As it is now, a member of the Athar won’t get access to their signature divine spell «immunity» until they have gathered a pretty hefty amount of Fame (35 points).
On one hand, it’s a pretty powerful effect and needs to be balanced somehow. On the other hand, this is the Athars defining ability and is available to any member in the original Planescape setting.

Am I off base here?