PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - Building the Best Remote Prescence

unseenmage
2019-09-03, 10:19 AM
I have this stupid powerful fullcaster who refuses to leave her private demiplane for meetings.

So she sends her remote prescence construct.

It is a Riverine (St) wireframe with layered illusions and enchantments on it which she commands remotely via telepathy.

My question is, what suite of spell effects (or items!) would make the thing most realistic while still allowing it to be a remote controlled magic robot?

Anything WotC approved is fine including all the official books, Dungeon and Dragon mags, and web content.

flappeercraft
2019-09-03, 10:24 AM
Well Mind Blank is a must for divination protection. Superior Invisibility and Invisible Superior Invisibility will also be useful.

unseenmage
2019-09-03, 11:49 AM
Well Mind Blank is a must for divination protection. Superior Invisibility and Invisible Superior Invisibility will also be useful.

Wouldnt Invisibility defeat the purpose of all the illusions?

Telonius
2019-09-03, 11:56 AM
For Mind Blank, that would depend somewhat on how the Wizard is exercising telepathic control. If it's through a spell or an item, putting Mind Blank on the thing will prevent him from issuing telepathic commands.

If the wizard has native telepathy, that's trickier. There's a bit of a long-standing controversy over whether or not the spell protects against creatures with telepathy. (The controversy centers on whether natural telepathy is considered a mind-affecting effect, or one of the other things that Mind Blank will foil; or not). Depending on how the DM rules on that, that particular form of telepathy might or might not break through Mind Blank.

Saintheart
2019-09-04, 10:20 AM
Is nobody going to address the fact it's an UnseenMage who's asking how to get his caster to best attend meetings via proxy? :smallbiggrin:

unseenmage
2019-09-04, 08:55 PM
Is nobody going to address the fact it's an UnseenMage who's asking how to get his caster to best attend meetings via proxy? :smallbiggrin:

I'm more concerned that they're trying to give a Construct Mind Blank but that's amusing too.

Heliomance
2019-09-05, 03:09 AM
For Mind Blank, that would depend somewhat on how the Wizard is exercising telepathic control. If it's through a spell or an item, putting Mind Blank on the thing will prevent him from issuing telepathic commands.

If the wizard has native telepathy, that's trickier. There's a bit of a long-standing controversy over whether or not the spell protects against creatures with telepathy. (The controversy centers on whether natural telepathy is considered a mind-affecting effect, or one of the other things that Mind Blank will foil; or not). Depending on how the DM rules on that, that particular form of telepathy might or might not break through Mind Blank.

Also native telepathy generally has a fixed range and won't reach across planar boundaries. Unless maybe Acorn of Far Travel?

unseenmage
2019-09-05, 07:46 AM
Also native telepathy generally has a fixed range and won't reach across planar boundaries. Unless maybe Acorn of Far Travel?

Put your arm through a planar ring gate. Viola. Telepathy across planar boundaries.

thethird
2019-09-05, 09:15 AM
Hey that's one of my favorite archetypes. I'll try to share what I do tomorrow.

Do you have an intended level of play? How much do you want to stray away from RAW? I am guessing in your idea you are using an animated object made out of riverine, any particular reason why you are using that as a base?

unseenmage
2019-09-05, 02:08 PM
Hey that's one of my favorite archetypes. I'll try to share what I do tomorrow.

Do you have an intended level of play? How much do you want to stray away from RAW? I am guessing in your idea you are using an animated object made out of riverine, any particular reason why you are using that as a base?

Minor Servitor of Riverine actually.
And as RAW as possible.
Highest levels of play available really.

I'm using the Riverine wireframe because
- I like Constructs
- riverine as an object can be effectively dispelled erasing the Construct and keeping both it and its info from enemy hands
- its neat to imagine someone with True Seeing encountering it and having to watch a wireframe interact with them

ShurikVch
2019-09-05, 02:13 PM
My question is, what suite of spell effects (or items!) would make the thing most realisticHow about the Skin of Proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus)?

unseenmage
2019-09-05, 02:33 PM
How about the Skin of Proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus)?

That could certainly work as the minion and the master are the same type but I was hoping for an option that disappears when the Riverine does when disjjncted. I dont even want to leave material behind if possible. This is part of why the illusions.

ShurikVch
2019-09-05, 02:54 PM
How about to give them a custom magic item which grants the Final Strike as a bonus feat?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-09-05, 03:02 PM
Why not use an astral projection of a body outside body clone of the construct in question (or a fission copy of a clone, etcetera)? That way, you can send multiple copies to different locations, and your control does not have to extend beyond your demiplane (because the original construct and the bodies of its clones remain there).