PDA

View Full Version : Tactical feats: how good are they?

Trandir
2019-09-03, 11:03 AM
Second thread about feats this time the tactical feats.

A tactical feat is a feat that usually provide to whom takes it the ability to perform special actions or to benefit a bonus in a particular circumstance.

Tactical feats comprend:
the [tactical] feats;
any feat that provide in either combination of at least 2 of these: special action, bonus obtainable by being in a particular situation;
martial study (bit of a strech I know).

I think that some of these offer a great package of flavour, utility and actual optimisation.

Fell free to add any feat that, in your opinion, should be [tactical]

Mato
2019-09-03, 11:59 AM
Shock trooper is considered a standard for charging damage and residual magic is an effective method of reducing metamagic costs. These two feats are considered the strongest tactical feats printed but they are no means the only useful ones.

Stormguard warrior offers a tactical change the #339 went a little crazy with there for a bit, notably using special melee touch attacks that debuff rather than deal damage to set up rhythm and something like Robliar's to set up storm. Roof-jumper is a quick and dirty way to augment charge damage without extensive feats, gloom razor is excellent for using stealth in combat instead of just hiding, clarion commander gets considered by every "party leader", anyone with a lot of smites (like a binder) is tempted by awesome smite, woodland archer is often used by bow-snipers, even faith unserving seems kind of useless until you consider what a wrathful healing greatsword adds to it. And I'm sure I missed some other favorites by forum posters.

So many of them are fairly good.

Silvercrys
2019-09-03, 12:12 PM
Sun School from Complete Warrior is great if you have any kind of teleportation ability, the prerequisites are pretty rough though.

Willie the Duck
2019-09-03, 12:14 PM
Shock Trooper and Combat Brute (together) and Elusive Target were always cited as good selections for the people who might consider taking them.

StevenC21
2019-09-03, 01:10 PM
Residual Magic is an incredibly overpowered feat.

Persistent Time Stop anyone?

Mato
2019-09-03, 01:40 PM
Persistent Time Stop anyone?You need to cast the same spell so you would have to cast a persisted time stop first.

It's main usage is providing other free metamagic spamming or to split the cost of adding a metamagic to the next spell. For example, if you cast a maximized fire shield then cast a persisted fire shield you can apply maximize to the persisted one for free. You can also use this with optional components, like golden desert honey applied rapid spell to a summon monster spell, on the next round residual magic can apply rapid spell to the same summon monster spell.

Silvercrys
2019-09-03, 01:40 PM
Residual Magic is an incredibly overpowered feat.

Persistent Time Stop anyone?Is there a trick here I'm missing? It looks like you have to be able to cast Persistent Time Stop in the first place because Lingering Metamagic only allows you to apply a metamagic feat you used on the first spell, and the second spell has to be the same as the first spell.

StevenC21
2019-09-03, 02:47 PM
Incantatrix let's you. This effectively let's you double the Incantatrix free metamagics.

Requiem_Jeer
2019-09-03, 03:06 PM
So it let's you use a broken thing twice instead of once. That's... Not a big deal. Especially as persist isn't really a big deal to use in those limits. It's really more of a problem with persist than with anything else. There's a reason I houserule a limit requiring a minimum duration of 10 minutes to qualify.

StevenC21
2019-09-03, 03:11 PM
Using a broken thing more is absolutely a big deal.

Especially when it's 2x times. Not times+1. Because you can repeat it.

Silvercrys
2019-09-03, 03:16 PM
Using a broken thing more is absolutely a big deal.

Especially when it's 2x times. Not times+1. Because you can repeat it.Except you have to use it the next round... Like, I think using the feat to cast Maximized Meteor Swarm two rounds in a row is better than using it on Persistent Time Stop to get an extra round on your 24 hour Time Stop with another 9th level spell slot.

StevenC21
2019-09-03, 03:21 PM
This feat effectively doubles the Incantatrix's free metamagic. That's what's broken here.

Silvercrys
2019-09-03, 03:40 PM
This feat effectively doubles the Incantatrix's free metamagic. That's what's broken here.Yeah, sure, you can use DMM:Persist on Divine Power and then give it to the Rogue or something, too, feat is really good, was just wondering if I was missing a trick with Time Stop.

Requiem_Jeer
2019-09-03, 04:15 PM
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Incantatrix's once or twice per day free metamagic trick is FAR from their most broken feature (they don't even need to use it to persist a time stop if they have enough spell craft, and that one is 3+int/day). I'm having a hard time picturing a broken use that isn't already problematic in having them use it once.

Can you name a problematic use that doesn't involve incantrix?

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-04, 04:01 PM
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Incantatrix's once or twice per day free metamagic trick is FAR from their most broken feature (they don't even need to use it to persist a time stop if they have enough spell craft, and that one is 3+int/day). I'm having a hard time picturing a broken use that isn't already problematic in having them use it once.

Can you name a problematic use that doesn't involve incantrix?

Killer Gnome.

Zombulian
2019-09-04, 04:45 PM
Hmm do the Sudden X metamagic feats count for Lingering Metamatic?