PDA

View Full Version : Help me build Hup from Netflix "The Dark Crystal"

Tenawa
2019-09-03, 04:31 PM
Straigth to the point: I wanna play Hup from The Dark Crystal.

What is his race? What's his class?

Thanks to all!

Pefgis
2019-09-03, 08:45 PM
I'd put podlings as probably some kind of halfling,as they are down to earth,humble,small folk. Goblin or kobold could be possible too,but it would be stretching it a bit. Hup may want to a paladin,but I would put him as a champion fighter or even just a simple martial sidekick.

Rev666
2019-09-25, 11:07 AM
For race go with Lightfoot Halfling. The Lightfoots ability to hide represents Hup ability to blend in with his background due to his small stature, combined with a halflings luck (he seems to make it through situations he shouldn't) fearlessness and get in and around his foes seems like the most appropriate race.

As for class you're gonna wanna start with monk. For the first 2 levels just use a club and pretend its a spoon but for level 3 go way of kensei and ask your DM if for the kensei weapon you can take improvised weapon: spoon and just flavour it as a club (with the effect being that the ease someone could grab a table leg as a club, you grab the spoon of said table). After that you'll want to mix and pick your levels between monk and devotion paladin representing hups ideals of honour and justice combined with his service to Deet (personally I'd go for a 8/12 monk paladin split just to get the 5 improvements). For combat style go duelist.

Stat wise for point buy id go:

Str 8, dex 17, con 12, int 10, wis 14, cha 14

Using your improvements id get Tough and (athlete/squat nimbleness) to shore up his survivability and represent his aptitude for physical activity.

Your other improvements should take his dex to 20 and his cha to 18 (or wis and cha 16 depending if you want to up his ac a point).

Now at lvl 20 you should have Hup at 5 plus proficiency to attack (with the paladin channel divinity to add 3/4 for a minute in the important fights ) twice per action with his bonus action to headbutt (as his unarmed preference seems to be in the series). Conversely with kensei he headbutts and hits with his spoon (doing D6+7+D8 radiant with the option of deft strike or smite) and adds 2 to his ac.

Hope these ideas are a good starting point for you and customise however you see fit (ie skills, background )

Fnissalot
2019-09-25, 11:22 AM
Either a halfling or a Dragonlance Gully dwarf if you can find a homebrew for one.

Rev666s take on paladin and monk looks pretty good!