PDA

View Full Version : OOTS, superhero-style!!

Ash Williams
2007-10-13, 05:14 PM
Simply put, if the characters were more like characters from various comic-book universes rather than D&D, how would you see 'em? My visions:

BELKAR: Either a psycho Punisher-style vigilante, or a Rob Liefeld knockoff.
DURKON: Beardy McBeerStein is kind of a tricky one. Possibly a ring-wielder like GL, or a super-strong character. Despite the hammer, I don't see him as being a takeoff of Thor.
ELAN: Possibly a nonpowered character who mainly carries various high-tech gadgets (whether he builds 'em or knows a guy are both options), but who has a sense of humor like Ted Kord or Peter Parker.
HALEY: A clone of the Huntress, or a female version of Gambit.
ROY: A super-soldier; rather than an indestructible shield, he carries a sword that generates an energy field around it. Another possibility is a sword-wielding warrior similar to Blade or his "No Celebrities Were Harmed" knockoff, Jefferson Twilight.
VAARSUVIUS: A mystic, of course, though not as powerful as Dr. Strange. But her outfit would stay the same (NOTE: I know they've never stated it, but I've alway seen V as a female).

Again, these are just some random ideas. If you have different ones, feel free to say!!

Green Bean
2007-10-13, 05:32 PM
This is a little something I whipped up back when I was a newbie.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/jlaoots2.jpg

Ash Williams
2007-10-13, 05:43 PM
Yes, it's very nice, but I was talking about the group as original characters, rather than just "Which Hero Are They?"

WitchSlayer
2007-10-13, 08:08 PM
This thread makes me think, maybe we should make our own legion of superheroes. Kind of like /co/ from 4chan does.

GoC
2007-10-13, 09:02 PM
This is a little something I whipped up back when I was a newbie.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/jlaoots2.jpg

Dude!
You made Belkar Batman!:smalleek:

Grod_The_Giant
2007-10-13, 09:19 PM
Dude!

well? Black Adam's not on the JLA.

Emperor Demonking
2007-10-14, 04:58 AM
I'll try and do powers
Belkar: Super jumping
Durkon: Can become bigger with a psi hammer.
Elan: Super deductions.
Roy: Super transforming sword but otherwise normal.
V: Magic
Haley: Like bulls eye, super aim.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-14, 08:25 AM
OK, if we were making OOTS into powerful superheroes, and/or villains:

Roy: Super-Strength, Super-Stamina, Incredible deductive abilites

Durkon: Purifying beams (as of Dagger), electrokinesis, force-field generation, shrinking.

Elan: Telepathy, Super-Agility, Suggestive Voice, Sonic Scream, Pheromone Emission, Moves at the speed of plot.

Haley: Super-Speed, Super-Agility, Phasing, Short-Range Teleportation, Probability Manipulation and Superhuman Aim.

V: Reality Warping, Precognition, Pyrokinesis.

Belkar: Empathy, Super-Agility, Psionic Blades, Incredible Jumping, Fear Induction.

Green Bean
2007-10-14, 08:28 AM
Dude!

What? Attacks from the shadows, striking fear into the hearts of his foes, far more effective than he should be; sounds about right. :smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2007-10-14, 08:39 AM
Belkar: Empathy, Super-Agility, Psionic Blades, Incredible Jumping, Fear Induction.
EMPATHY? Belkar?

Kaelaroth
2007-10-14, 08:43 AM
Hah! Yeah.. Belkar has the empathy super-power.

Well.. because it suits him. He removes all the emotions from himself, and puts them into other people in the form of unbeleivable fear and disgust. :smallsmile: Like all the cool kids are doing.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-14, 10:55 AM
Hah! Yeah.. Belkar has the empathy super-power.

Well.. because it suits hm. he removes all the emotions from himself, and puts them into other people in the form of unbeleivable fear and disgust. :smallsmile: Like all the cool kids are doin'.

That's not how empathy works...

Belkar has no empathy because he can't understand that other creatures are in fact people, as opposed to walking XP.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-14, 11:02 AM
That's not how empathy works...

Belkar has no empathy because he can't understand that other creatures are in fact people, as opposed to walking XP.

I agree with you to some degree. That is not how real life empathy works.

I, however, am referring to the super-power which is control over the emotions of yourself and others. Which, to some degree, is what Belkar-Man might have.

Slight Thread High-Jack:
If OOTS were super-heroes, what might their super names be?

Jenkins
2007-10-14, 01:43 PM
You have to be more specific with your request, do you want the names that they would take or the names that fit them the best, because I'm fairly certain that Belkar would be something along the lines of 'deathbringer' or the like if it were his choosing.

Tirian
2007-10-14, 02:49 PM
What? Attacks from the shadows, striking fear into the hearts of his foes, far more effective than he should be; sounds about right. :smalltongue:

You tied your hands when you decided to map OOTS into the Justice League. But Batman is the world's greatest detective and Belkar has no ranks in Search., so it is a little painful.

Green Bean
2007-10-14, 03:07 PM
You tied your hands when you decided to map OOTS into the Justice League. But Batman is the world's greatest detective and Belkar has no ranks in Search., so it is a little painful.

Honestly, with the number of skills Batman has, he'd be almost impossible to model in DnD.

Old_el_Paso
2007-10-14, 03:27 PM
Honestly, with the number of skills Batman has, he'd be almost impossible to model in DnD.

But in d20 Modern he's a Strong 10/Fast 10/Tough 10/Smart 10/Dedicated 10/Charismatic 10/ Investigator 10.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-14, 03:34 PM
But in d20 Modern he's a Strong 10/Fast 10/Tough 10/Smart 10/Dedicated 10/Charismatic 10/ Investigator 10.

Level 80? Does d20 Modern even have epic levels?

Re: Empathy:

I'd always understood that Empathy (as a superpower) allowed you to feel the emotions of others. It might work both ways, but outright manipulating others into feeling fear should be called "emotion control" or somesuch for clarity.

Green Bean
2007-10-14, 03:59 PM
Re: Empathy:

I'd always understood that Empathy (as a superpower) allowed you to feel the emotions of others. It might work both ways, but outright manipulating others into feeling fear should be called "emotion control" or somesuch for clarity.

Perhaps Kaelaroth is thinking of the hero Empath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empath_%28comics%29), who can control emotions?

Tirian
2007-10-14, 04:30 PM

I couldn't say. I've got an April edition of Dragon that made a (first-edition) character sheet for Bugs Bunny, so it probably isn't an insurmountable problem. You probably have to draft these people as nigh-deities just to encapsulate the idea that they can't be defeated no matter who you are.

On empathy: if the only emotions you can instill in people is disgust and revulsion, that's not a superpower.

Green Bean
2007-10-14, 04:45 PM
I couldn't say. I've got an April edition of Dragon that made a (first-edition) character sheet for Bugs Bunny, so it probably isn't an insurmountable problem. You probably have to draft these people as nigh-deities just to encapsulate the idea that they can't be defeated no matter who you are.

The problem's not so much power as range of abilities. Batman can do so many different things, and he's among the best in the world at all of them.

You'd need to model:
Hand to hand combat abilities: they're among the best in the Justice League)
Skills: look at the SRD; Batman has used, and used well, every single skill on the list, with the possible exception of Use Magic Device
Stats: above average strength, very good DEX (dodges bullets), very good CON (recovered from having his back broken!), very high INT (all of his gadgets), high WIS (incredibly good at resisting mental effects), and high CHA (is good at intimidating, diplomacy, CEO of major company, etc.)
Gadgets: Batman can build his own stuff, and most of that goes beyond ordinary items; he probably has a level or two of artificer.

You could use DnD to model parts of Batman's abilities; imitating his gadgeteer side with an Artificer, or taking levels in Rogue or Factorum to model his many skills, but in order to recreate them all, you'll end up with some monstrous 80 level build that can survive ten direct nuke hits.

T.Titan
2007-10-14, 05:28 PM
I beleive this will be of great help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_superpowers

And Belkar is so the Joker....

Hand to hand combat abilities: they're among the best in the Justice League)

They are the best... all the others rely on their superpowers too much.

Skills: look at the SRD; Batman has used, and used well, every single skill on the list, with the possible exception of Use Magic Device

He actually used Magic spells a few times...

you'll end up with some monstrous 80 level build that can survive ten direct nuke hits.

Sound like Batman to me...

Green Bean
2007-10-14, 05:43 PM

I wouldn't go that far. There's other martial artists in the JL., like Green Arrow, or Huntress. Or what about Black Canary? She has powers, but she's apparently one of the best fighters in the DCU.

Sound like Batman to me...

Sad, but true.

Sebastian
2007-10-14, 06:07 PM

You forgot Martial artist. :D

sealemon
2007-10-14, 10:20 PM
Belkar: Punisher is too cerebral for Belkar. I'd go with Wolverine after an uhealable lobotamy leaves him in a permanent bezerker state. Or Lobo.

Durkon: For some reason, the first super to come to mind is Astro City's Sameritan. He IS kinda hard to peg down as a superhero...

Roy: Captain America, but with a sword.

Haley: Huntress, yup.

Varsuuvuis: I actually se him/her as the GL type...maybe Guy Gardener because of all the blasting she/he does.

Elan: I see him as a spastic Robin, or even better, Impulse back in the day when he was...you, know...Impulse.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-15, 01:00 PM
Perhaps Kaelaroth is thinking of the hero Empath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empath_%28comics%29), who can control emotions?

Hah-Hah! According to T.Titan's wiki list (ty for that) Empathy is both sensing and/or manipulating emotions.

And I was referring to the names they'd bestow on themselves, but what the public would title them is good too.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking of super-powers for other OOTSworlders:

Nale: Hyper-Intelligence, Pheromone Control, Domination, Hyper-Reflexes, Invisibility, Empathy.

Sabine: Retractable Wings, Bio-Vampire, Super-Stamina, Super-Strength, Enhanced Reflexes and Speed, Suggestive Voice, Pheromone Emission and Control, Corruption, Mind Control, Power Absorbtion.

Thog: Incredible Strength, Speed, Stamina, and Reflexes, Superhuman Regenerative Healing Factor, Darkvision.

Miko: Concussive Blasts through metal media or skin, Incredible Jumping abilites, Enhanced Strength, Speed, Reflexes, Stamina, Hearing, Sight and Astral Vision (as of the Incredible Hulk).

Redcloak: Disintegration Blasts, Invisibility, Suggestive Voice, Sonic Scream, Chameleon, Psionic Blasts, Resserection, Healing, Bio-Vampire, Slowed Aging, Disease and Poison Immunity, Zombie Manipulation.

Xykon: Flight, Immortality, Reality Warping, Probability Manipulation, Fear Induction, Ion Blasts, Pyrokinesis, Resserection, Teleportation, Illusion Generation, Summoning.

Apologies for spelling.

Green Bean
2007-10-15, 01:51 PM
You know, I can totally see Roy as one of those 'no power' archetypes, like Huntress, or the Punisher, because of his commitment to fighting the supernatural (undead sorcerer) with mundane means (a fighter).

Grod_The_Giant
2007-10-15, 02:07 PM
Varsuuvuis: I actually se him/her as the GL type...maybe Guy Gardener because of all the blasting she/he does.

what? Are we thinking of the same Guy Gardener? The dude who owns a bar, mooned Batman (and the rest of the JLA), and generally acts like a pig?

Also, I think "magic" counts as a super-power. So V and Xykon would have that.

Setra
2007-10-15, 04:20 PM
Belkar: Scrapper, Double Swords Primary (Not out yet in CoH yet but still...), Dark Armor Secondary, with powers taken from the Jumping and Stealth pools.

Durkon: Tanker, Invulnerability Primary, War Mace Secondary, with powers taken from the Medicine pool.

Alternate: Defender, Empathy Primary, Electrical Blast Secondary, with powers taken from Combat pool.

Roy: Scrapper, Broadsword Primary, Invulnerability Secondary, with powers taken from Leadership and Combat, possibly 'Health' from Fitness as well.

Haley: Blaster, Bow and Arrow Primary, Devices secondary, with powers taken from the Stealth pool, and Speed pool.

Vaarsuvius: Blaster, Fire Blast Primary, with Ice Manipulation secondary, and powers from either Flight or Teleportation pools.

Elan: Controller, Illusion Control Primary, Kinetics Secondary, powers taken from Jump pool, and possibly Fitness.

Just random thoughts.

These are from City of Heroes by the way.

Tirian
2007-10-15, 04:40 PM
You know, I can totally see Roy as one of those 'no power' archetypes, like Huntress, or the Punisher, because of his commitment to fighting the supernatural (undead sorcerer) with mundane means (a fighter).

He has a little bit of a Nightwing thing going for him, in that he is defined largely in terms of his anti-social father's unattainable quest and his own desires to meet that challenge while defining his own separate identity.

And Vaarsuvius is Doctor Manhattan.

sealemon
2007-10-15, 06:15 PM
what? Are we thinking of the same Guy Gardener? The dude who owns a bar, mooned Batman (and the rest of the JLA), and generally acts like a pig?

Yeah. I'm talking old school Gardner, back when he was a real anti-hero, and arguable as powerful as jordan at the time--they butted heads constantly, and generally would up in draws (Jordon got the overall win, of course---but it was close). At that time, Gardner was pretty much a blast the target kind of GL---didn't really bother with esotiric contructs. Gardner was convinced he was the "one, true GL", and had arrogance to spare. V kind of reminds me of the same thing---he/she has a large range of spells to choose from, but seems to have a preference for the direct damage blasts. I think V is obviosly much less emotional, but there ARE some simularities: He/she has no problem with taking out someone who gets in his was **cough Belakar**, and seems to have a problem with other arcane users. Not an exact match, but then none of these examples are.

Emperor Demonking
2007-10-16, 10:13 AM
Nale: Hyper interiligence
Thog: Super durable and strength
Sabine: Shapeshift, flight
Leeky: Animate wood
Kobolds: No powers
Pompey: Summoner
Dwarf: Heal
Elf: Magic, invulnerabilities

Shraik
2007-10-20, 11:38 AM
idk if it has been said but belkar would be the Sexy shoeless god of war...

Kaelaroth
2007-10-20, 11:44 AM
Hmmm... slight modification then:

Belkar, the Sexy Shoeless God of War (and cooking)!:
- Incredible Jumping Ability
- Super-Speed
- Incredibly Enhanced Reflexes
- Incredibly Enhanced Senses
- Gliding
- Regenerative Healing Factor
- Pyrokinesis + Fear Induction through magical amulet
- Enhanced Strength and Stamina
- Food Creation
- Weapon Creation
- Ionic Blasts

HolderofSecrets
2007-10-21, 05:09 AM

Multiclassing, you don't know D&D classes very well do you? You could of gotten any skill you ever needed by going Artificer 20. I mean the man has the brains, wits, charisma to spare. Batman would make a great Artificer. On top of everything being an Artificer allows Batman to give himself a bonus to any skill he needs, when ever he needs it.

krossbow
2007-10-22, 02:37 AM
I could easily see elan as a very powerful superhero who is able to avoid serious damage thanks to his abilities, but constantly gets the crap kicked out of himself thanks to his lack of intelligence and naivete.

Solo
2007-10-22, 10:33 AM
EMPATHY? Belkar?

Wild Empathy check! WILD EMPATHY CHECK!

Kaelaroth
2007-10-22, 12:31 PM
Wild Empathy check! WILD EMPATHY CHECK!

See. Now I have another supporter. :smallamused:

Every time you try and defeat me, I only grow more strong.

Ash Williams
2007-11-12, 09:36 AM
Belkar: Punisher is too cerebral for Belkar. I'd go with Wolverine after an uhealable lobotamy leaves him in a permanent bezerker state. Or Lobo.

I didn't say that Belkar WAS the Punisher; I just said that he'd be a Liefeld/Punisher-style character: really badass, unlimited ammo & weapons, a utility belt with 400 pouches that do nothing, etc.

Durkon: For some reason, the first super to come to mind is Astro City's Sameritan. He IS kinda hard to peg down as a superhero...

Isn't Samaritan Astro City's equivalent of Superman?

GoC
2007-11-12, 01:17 PM

That would be ok if power neutralizers weren't sold at every corner store...

I'd make Batman a Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Artificer 1 (so he's CR 5).
He'd probably have something like:
Str 18, Con 18, Dex 16, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 14

Ash Williams
2008-01-09, 07:53 PM
Here's the ideas one of my friends chose:

BELKAR: A cross between Wolverine and Puck from Alpha Flight (but with knives), who deals with street-level crime.
DURKON: A powersuit character (though not as advanced as Tony Stark's suit), with a warhammer and shield.
ELAN: Nonpowered, carries a weapon that generates multiple effects like Starman's Cosmic Staff (but rather than his powers, the effects are similar to bardic magic), as well as a few gadgets from time to time. However, like Jack Knight, he's not an inventor; just the guy who uses the stuff.
HALEY: Archer superhero, like Hawkeye or Green Arrow.
NALE: Has various energy-based powers, and considers himself a swordsman.
ROY: Moon Knight with a sword rather than a truncheon.
SABINE: A demonic (or is it devilish?) character like Ghost Rider or Etrigan.
THOG: Super-strong character with the IQ of Ralph Wiggum.
VAARSUVIUS: A "ring-bearer" like GL, but with the energy internalized, rather than contained in a piece of jewelry.

FoE
2008-01-09, 08:42 PM
"What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am?

I'm the goddamn Belkar."

:smallbiggrin:

Rama_Lei
2008-01-29, 08:00 PM
Haley-Green Arrow/Arrowette/Speedy
Durkon-Thor (duh)
V-A Green Lantern/ Ariol ( The Atlantean king)/Zatanna
Roy- Batman
Elan-Robin
Belkar- The Flash