PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight Build Help for Strahd

roadcoyote
2019-09-03, 07:00 PM
Build an EK for Curse of Strahd (no spoilers please). We just survived Death House and hit level 3 with my Warforged EK. Rest of the party is Devotion Paladin, Hunter Ranger, Fighter/Rogue, Wild Magic Sorcerer, and Bladesinger wizard.

Current stats: 18STR, 14DEX, 17CON, 14INT, 13WIS, 8CHA. Protection Fighting Style.
Tentative Level 3 spell choices
- Cantrips: Booming Blade, Greenflame Blade
- Level 1 spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Expeditious Retreat

Leaning towards using a shield and sword or spear right now (throw spear and summon back with weapon bond). Will probably try to serve as a front liner to keep bad guys off of the rest of the party. (I spent most of Death house dodging due to how freaking hard that stuff hit us). Roleplay wise, I would like to limit him to spells that either enhance his own abilities or release surges of energy.

I'm considering dipping a level into wizard to pick up some more cantrips and spells, but not sure when would be a good time to do that. EK seems to come online pretty late. Specifically thinking about cantrips such as Lightning Lure, Light, Mending, FireBolt/Ray of Frost, Blade Ward - level one spells such as Thunderwave, Earth Tremor, Detect Magic, Protection From Evil, Alarm, Find Familiar (For scouting/roleplay, we don't do the help action with it), Comprehend Languages.

As to feats/ASIs, I'm not sure what would be optimal/useful. Warcaster seems mandatory at some point (though I can drop my weapon at the end of my turn to have a hand free for Shield, then either Weapon Bond it back or pick it up, but that feels like it breaks roleplay a bit). Shield Master seems decent initially, but that will eventually compete with War Magic for my bonus action. Booming Blade + Warcaster seems like it might make taking Sentinel a little redundant, especially since I may not always want to use my reaction on opportunity attacks (Shield, etc.). Almost thinking Warcaster at Fighter 4, +2 Str at Fighter 6, +1 CON/+1 WIS at Fighter 8? Or Warcaster, Resilient WIS, and a CON half feat? I think the campaign will take us to 9 or 10, so probably do Fighter 8, Wizard 2 if we get that far (for portent or arcane ward).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. DM isn't pulling any punches (first party through death house TPK'ed) and we have backup characters two and three deep, so really want to build for surviving if I can.

Thanks!