PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Newbie in 5e magical help

Lost in 5E
2019-09-03, 11:38 PM
I have played other games, but just joined a dungeon crawl 5e campaign that is designed to kill us. I built 2 Levels of paladin and 4 of sorcerer. I have plate shield defense option and plus 1 ring. 22 AC (yes I found it here). I have a plus 1 battle axe. The GM is allowing a Monty hall choice of 4 magic items to be found adventuring. What do I choose and where to go from here? 27 build point can change up to level 7 18 cha , con 12, str 14 bonus feat chose war caster

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-04, 12:07 AM
Ok, what help do you need?
What is your question?

Lost in 5E
2019-09-04, 12:16 AM
Hi Sorry I should have been more clear. What 4 magical items should I request to best optimize the character?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-04, 12:28 AM
One of the str items.

Cloak of displacement

Amulet of Health

You will probably need to lose the ring as you only have 3 attunement slots.

From my understanding you use the defense fighting style so there is no need to find a two handed weapon(useful if you want to use the rerolls on 1/2 on damage die from Great Weapon Fighting).

Look for a +x armor or shield.

Paladin 6 is a better boost to saves(war caster is still nice for Booming Blade attack as a reaction).

Lost in 5E
2019-09-04, 12:47 AM
Thank you. Those are great

Dork_Forge
2019-09-04, 01:20 AM
If your aim is survivability then Amulet of Health is a must if you can choose one, a more potent weapon upgrade to help you end combats quicker (Flame Tongue is nice, but fire is commnonly resisted so you may want somthing else), ring of spell storing would let you bank a lot of spells and use your slots more for smites (or just have some shields and heals in reserve) and Adamantine Armor would make you crit proof whilst letting you keep your ring in your attunement slots.

Feats wise, Tough for more hp, you're sword and board so war caster for ease of life and depending on how the party is doing inspiring leader and healer go a long way to keeping a party going through a dungeon crawl.

Aprender
2019-09-04, 06:15 AM
If stats are malleable until level 7, then a cheesy way to play is to try and get a +str item (ideally a giant's belt) and then drop strength to 13 and redistribute those points around to other stats.

Not saying that I have done that *cough, cough*, but it would be a (cheesy) option.

Edit: Boots of flying are great. I love the adamantine armor option.

Sigreid
2019-09-04, 07:47 AM
Hammer of thunderbolts, girdle of storm giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power. 😁

Lost in 5E
2019-09-04, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone, putting this great advice together:

Attuned

Amulet of health
Ring of Spell Storing
Cloak of displacement
(Yuanti true blood, so I am automatically magic resistant)
(would love the belts but darn the 3 rule)

non Attuned
adamantine - armor (love that because with AC, will most likely be crits that hit me)
flame tongue or +2 weapons

Oh and change combat caster to toughness

Thank you again for helping, it is very much appreciated

Aprender
2019-09-04, 01:42 PM
Consider some way of getting the shield spell as you are right to point out that adamantine armor + insane AC means physical damage will have a hard time getting through. Yuan Ti pureblood decreases magical damage, but if you can also get absorb elements (1 level wizard dip?), you can avoid non-magical acid, fire, cold, lightning or thunder damage by half as well.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-04, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone, putting this great advice together:

Attuned

Amulet of health
Ring of Spell Storing
Cloak of displacement
(Yuanti true blood, so I am automatically magic resistant)
(would love the belts but darn the 3 rule)

non Attuned
adamantine - armor (love that because with AC, will most likely be crits that hit me)
flame tongue or +2 weapons

Oh and change combat caster to toughness

Thank you again for helping, it is very much appreciated
I don't think you need toughness, you can continue paladin for more health and saves(level 6 paladin is amazing).
You will have access to AId and will be able to upcast it for more HP and the amulet gives you a lot of HP anyway.

War caster gives you more options to better preform in combat and better saves for concentration.