PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Running Circles in my head!

Dessunri
2019-09-04, 11:31 AM
Okay, so this is my first time playing as a druid. Our party just reached a spot to rest and we're likely to level up at the beginning of next session and I'm having a hard time choosing a circle. I was hoping for some advice from the playground as to what's fun/good. For background: We're playing some of the adventures in the Saltmarsh book and some mix of homebrew. The party consists of a Triton Fighter (not sure which style he'll choose), a Celestial Warlock (not sure he's actually going to heal all the much knowing the player), a Dwarven Paladin (again, not sure the Oath), a Rogue that will likely go Thief, a wizard who will be playing part time as work allows and me, the Druid. At first I was thinking Moon but we have enough frontliners with the Fighter and Paladin. The part time Wizard and the Warlock have spells covered, and the Rogue has all the Rogue things covered. I guess I can support any of the roles and with the Wizard being part time Circle of the Land makes the most sense. I guess I'm just looking for some insight into the different circles and what I can expect in practice vs what I read in the books.

Master O'Laughs
2019-09-04, 11:59 AM
I would say if you want to be more supportive, then Shepard. The totems are amazing and it is flavorful. Your eventual summons can be used for utility or fights. And it is pretty neat being able to communicate with animals without having to have a spell prepared.

If you want to mostly cast spells, then Land Druid. I would pick the type that have the coolest sounding spells for you.

If unsure, Moon druid is the best all rounder. I currently play a Shepard druid and kind of wish I had chosen moon. You get better shape shifting forms which can be used for utility or combat. Also, the bonus action shape shifting can allow for neat spell combos.

The one I have in mind which is why I wish I went moon is to cast Call Lightning and then shapeshift into a bird, flying around in a storm calling down lightning on your enemies.

Nagog
2019-09-04, 12:04 PM
As you've said, Moon is great for tanking which is covered, and land is great for casting, which is also mostly covered. Might I suggest a buffer/debuffer role? Circle of Spores is a good one if you want some all-around support/utility in that department, as it combines many debuff spells in it's expanded list, and it's class features can lend to a minionmancy/area control build when combined with druid spells like Entangle and Spike Growth

MaxWilson
2019-09-04, 12:14 PM
The one I have in mind which is why I wish I went moon is to cast Call Lightning and then shapeshift into a bird, flying around in a storm calling down lightning on your enemies.

This works approximately as well for a Shepherd Druid. Sure, you lose one round of lightning while you shapeshift into a giant owl/whatever, but the spell lasts for ten minutes anyway. You can even pre-cast it before you get into range of the monsters.

A Moon Druid would have more HP than you do (flying dinosaur vs. giant owl) but the tactic still works.

NaughtyTiger
2019-09-04, 12:19 PM
I currently play a Shepard druid and kind of wish I had chosen moon.

I currently play Moon, and really wish i had chosen land.

others are better at dealing damage, others are better at taking damage (not by much), i am good at control.
if i am wildshaped, i lose the ability to cast all my awesome spells.

stoutstien
2019-09-04, 12:32 PM
I cant look at druid and not go Shepard. It's has unique mechanics, great support, enhances summoning which is already a strong tactic, and flexibility.
The THP alone are worth the pick

KnotaGuru
2019-09-05, 10:42 AM
I went Shepherd with my group (Brute Fighter, Evoker Wizard, Redemption Paladin, Hexblade Warlock). We started at level 1 and are now 5th level. The totems have saved the party on more than 1 occasion and the speak with animals feature has given us more Intel. I use wildshape for scouting and utility.

In the early levels I just tried to use totems and concentration spells to help the party out (entangle, faerie fire, flaming sphere).

Now that we're 5th level, summoning 8 wolves (11 HP each) as an action then dropping bear totem (10 temp HP) as a bonus action suddenly puts 168 HP on the battlefield, not to mention the bonuses to allies (the paladin likes to grapple so he now has advantage on his checks).

I'm a hill dwarf and took resilient CON at 4th level for an 18 CON, 53 HP, and +7 CON saves. I stay in the back if I can and use thorn whip to add a little more control.

The biggest question for you is, how does your DM handle conjure animals? My DM lets me choose the animals. If he were to choose I would have gone with a different archetype (probably Land so I can still cast spells when I want). Personally, the DM has enough going on that he doesn't need to flip through the monster manual and give me different animals. Having the player do it is much more efficient. I have map tokens for any number and all size animals and typed creature cards ready to go.

E’Tallitnics
2019-09-05, 11:07 AM
I'll throw my hat in the ring on the side of Shepard as well! Its ability to summon up to 8 creatures, make them more durable, and have them assist during combat (either as direct attacks or using the Help action) is game changing.

Have your DM look at the "Handling Mobs" guidelines in the DMG to streamline 1 player with up to 9 attacks per turn. (Note: We use a +3 To Hit bonus for creatures that get Advantage on their attack roles.)

And just in case you haven't seen the Be All/End All Guide to Druids: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd)

Dessunri
2019-09-05, 12:25 PM
I'll throw my hat in the ring on the side of Shepard as well! Its ability to summon up to 8 creatures, make them more durable, and have them assist during combat (either as direct attacks or using the Help action) is game changing.

Have your DM look at the "Handling Mobs" guidelines in the DMG to streamline 1 player with up to 9 attacks per turn. (Note: We use a +3 To Hit bonus for creatures that get Advantage on their attack roles.)

And just in case you haven't seen the Be All/End All Guide to Druids: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd)

I hadn't thought of the interaction of adding all that temp HP to my summoned creatures! With this, and comments from others, I think I'm going to give Shepard a try. Now I just need to pick up a useful cantrip for when I want to save a spell slot...