PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Valor bard build help needed - feats vs asis

Smithy
2019-09-04, 12:15 PM
Hi all

I'm planning a half-elf valor bard to start at level 8. I am currently mulling over a few choices for feats and ability scores and would appreciate guidance:

Option 1)
8 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS, 18 CHA
plus Actor and Resilient (CON) feats

Option 2)
plus Warcaster feat

Option 3)
plus Lucky feat

Option 4)
8 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS, 20 CHA
no feats

I figure that option 1) wins out over option 2), since Warcaster and Resilient (con) and comparable - while Actor's benefits are circumstantial, they're a decent fit with a bard.

But would I be better of with Lucky, since I can use the luck points for keeping concentration and for impersonation shenanigans?

Or should I just go to 20 CHA and rely on the valor bard's high-ish AC to maintain concentration?

What do people suggest?

CheddarChampion
2019-09-04, 12:52 PM
If you intend to use a shield and a weapon, and your DM will make it hard to cast with your hands full, you'll want warcaster.

Otherwise, I'd go with #1 and take Cha+2, then lucky, then whatever else as you level up.

Reason being that resilient wins out over warcaster at level 9 (+4 proficiency) and helps in other situations. Additionally, it looks like you wouldn't be able to fit Actor in on other builds - and if you think it will be cool then go for it.

Smithy
2019-09-05, 02:54 PM
Thanks for that - I figured a bard particularly relies on concentration spells, which would be more effective if I could better maintain concentration than the slight increase in power provided by maxing charisma.

Option 1 seemed the most fun, but I was concerned there might have been a better way to strengthen against conc saves (and allows for Actor shenanigans).

Also I hadn’t appreciated that resilient pulls ahead of warcaster at higher levels - good to know.