PDA

View Full Version : The heaviest weapon

Trandir
2019-09-04, 06:02 PM
Just wondering: what is the heaviest weapon out of all the manuales 3.5 uses?

Different categories:
Two Handed Weapons: great hammer 30 lb.
One handed Weapons: maul 20 lb.
Light weapons: spiked armor 10 lb. (spikes only)
Shields: tower shield, steel 100 lb.
Crossbows: orz fishing cossbow 20 lb.
Bows: greatbow 6 lb.
Trees: Caber 100 lb.

This way every possible PC has his heviest weapon of choice

Current winner: the Duskwood Caber as a large weapon with his 400 lbs
(A regular caber weights 100 lbs. the duskwood from Magic of Faerun weights half as much as steel but that is still 4 times more than the heaviest "real" wood a caber would be made of in his book)

Sidenotes:

Only mundane equipment is considered valid. If an item is magically heavier or lighter then all the others might be. So to determine the heaviest weapon only non magical items, materials, templates are valid.
A weapon has to be designed to be carried around and used by a single user, so siege weapons do not count.
The tower shield is not a weapon but is the heaviest shield aviable. As such it will not compete for the "current winner" but it will still be considered in the shield category.
Special materials will be considered only for the Current winner this way we can see the actual heaviest weapon weight.

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-04, 06:06 PM
Just wondering: what is the heaviest weapon out of all the manuales 3.5 uses?

Different categories:
Two Handed Weapons
One handed Weapons
Light weapons
Shields
(Cross)Bows

This way every possible PC has his heviest weapon of choice

caber from masters of the wild. It's a tree trunk that weighs 100 lbs that you throw.

Trandir
2019-09-04, 06:31 PM
caber from masters of the wild. It's a tree trunk that weighs 100 lbs that you throw.

That is indeed a heavy weapon. I do not know where to put it so for now it will be on his very own category

legomaster00156
2019-09-04, 06:45 PM
Don't forget that weapons get significantly heavier with larger size categories. :smallwink:

Trandir
2019-09-04, 06:50 PM
Don't forget that weapons get significantly heavier with larger size categories. :smallwink:

The only reference for weight change I have found so far is in the PHB and it just doubles with each size so a colossal caber would weight just 1600 lbs.
That is too lightin my opinion but again that's all I could find. There is any rule I am missing?

Saintheart
2019-09-04, 06:53 PM
I can't remember which Forgotten Realms splatbook it is, but you can make weapons out of pure gold or platinum which renders them heavy and needing an EWP to wield.

KillianHawkeye
2019-09-04, 07:00 PM
So a solid platinum caber, then? :smallbiggrin:

Trandir
2019-09-04, 07:13 PM
So a solid platinum caber, then? :smallbiggrin:

That would be funny but let's stick to the rules. Only mostly metallic weapons can be made out of platinum and a caber is ususally made out of wood. But there are other special kinds of trees in the forgotten realms, faerun eberron or whatever setting

John05
2019-09-04, 07:45 PM
That is indeed a heavy weapon. I do nkt know where to put it so for now it will be on his very own category

Trees: Caber 100 lbs.
🤣🤣🤣

Other than that you have the greathammer and two-bladed sword at 30 lb, both two-handed weapons.

Zombulian
2019-09-04, 07:52 PM
Obligatory “the moon if thrown by a Hulking Hurler” post.

Trandir
2019-09-04, 08:08 PM
Obligatory “the moon if thrown by a Hulking Hurler” post.

I know but this thread is about actual weapons and not improvised ones. Still yes a galaxy is probably the heaviest weapon aviable for a hulking hurler

Telonius
2019-09-04, 08:22 PM
Not sure if this counts, but Deities and Demigods says that, "Mjolnir weighs roughly 2 tons, requiring Thor's doubled strength to wield it." (p. 194)

Trandir
2019-09-04, 08:37 PM
Not sure if this counts, but Deities and Demigods says that, "Mjolnir weighs roughly 2 tons, requiring Thor's doubled strength to wield it." (p. 194)

That's a magic iem and npc magic at that.
I am looking for mundane equipment.

Khedrac
2019-09-05, 02:54 AM
There should be an honourable mention for the sugliin from Frostburn.
The Sugliin is a 2-handed exotic reach weapon that weights 20lb and requires a full round action to make a single atatck (an extra feat is needed to attack normally).
So, not as heavy as the greathammer, but considerably harder to wield.

On the ranged front the icechucker from FB is 12lb, can we beat that for something that isn't a siege weapon?

Trandir
2019-09-05, 06:23 AM
There should be an honourable mention for the sugliin from Frostburn.
The Sugliin is a 2-handed exotic reach weapon that weights 20lb and requires a full round action to make a single atatck (an extra feat is needed to attack normally).
So, not as heavy as the greathammer, but considerably harder to wield.

On the ranged front the icechucker from FB is 12lb, can we beat that for something that isn't a siege weapon?

The sugliin, while more uncomfortable to weild than most weapons will ever be, isn't heavy enough to beat the greathammer.

I see your 12 lb. and raise to 14 lb. (great crossbow, races of stone)

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-09-05, 01:17 PM
Great horn greathammer from MM4 is statted as also a 30# medium weapon in the "for player characters" section of the monster entry; the stat block for the Minotaur stats it as a large weapon however, implying it is typically found as a 60 pound hammer. Doesn't beat the caber, but it's a mundane weapon twice as heavy as a Goliath greathammer.

Isn't there a great maul somewhere too?

Mercurial Greatsword has to be up there for a mundane bladed weapon, will check when I remember where it's from.
Edit 17#

Trandir
2019-09-05, 01:24 PM
Great horn greathammer from MM4 is statted as also a 30# medium weapon in the "for player characters" section of the monster entry; the stat block for the Minotaur stats it as a large weapon however, implying it is typically found as a 60 pound hammer. Doesn't beat the caber, but it's a mundane weapon twice as heavy as a Goliath greathammer.

Isn't there a great maul somewhere too?

Mercurial Greatsword has to be up there for a mundane bladed weapon, will check when I remember where it's from.

Problem isbthat also the goliath greathammer is a medium weapon so the weight of the 2 is equal if we consider them build for creatures of the same size.

I do not know

Mercurial Greatsword has a mere 17 lb. weight as is a 2 handed weapon so unfortunately no it doesn't make a cut

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-09-05, 01:38 PM
I understand, like I said though, it's a racial weapon of a large creature, so typically found as a 60# weapon. Semantics

Heavy steel crossbow from dragon 349 is 16# beating out great crossbow

I thought you had a bladed weapon category, that's why I mentioned the Greatsword.

Trandir
2019-09-05, 02:03 PM
I understand, like I said though, it's a racial weapon of a large creature, so typically found as a 60# weapon. Semantics

Heavy steel crossbow from dragon 349 is 16# beating out great crossbow

I thought you had a bladed weapon category, that's why I mentioned the Greatsword.

I too hunderstand but I am considering every weapon when built for colossal sized creatures to get the true "heaviest weapon".
The minotaurs' hammers are large sized but a colossal minotaur would have a colossal hammer that weights exactly as much as a goliath greathammer (and one could debate that this weapon too should be found always in his large form since a goliath can weild weapon one category larger than the usual medium creature)

And well that is indeed a heavy crossbow

ShurikVch
2019-09-05, 02:08 PM
The heaviest Crossbow there - if we excluding Ballista - is Orz Fishing Crossbow (Dungeon #109): 20 lbs.
The heaviest bows are Greatbow and Composite Greatbow - 6 lbs.

About the Two Handed/One handed/Light weapons distinction: how it works for Bastard Sword? Rapier? Elven Courtblade? Spiked Chain?

Trandir
2019-09-05, 02:32 PM
The heaviest Crossbow there - if we excluding Ballista - is Orz Fishing Crossbow (Dungeon #109): 20 lbs.
The heaviest bows are Greatbow and Composite Greatbow - 6 lbs.

About the Two Handed/One handed/Light weapons distinction: how it works for Bastard Sword? Rapier? Elven Courtblade? Spiked Chain?

And another big crossbow. Nice.

If a weapon can be used as different sizes it can compete in each of them.
The bastard can be used as both one or two handed weapon so it is both.

The other 3 weapons are respectively:
A rapier is a one handed weapon
A spiked chain is a two handed weapon
A elven courtblade is a two handed weapon

A weapon "size" is decided by how you weild it not if it is finessable or not

ShurikVch
2019-09-05, 03:32 PM
The heaviest one-handed weapon is, apparently, Maul (Complete Warrior): 20 lbs.
Light weapons: Sapara (Arms and Equipment Guide) and Scorpion Claws (Sandstorm) are both 6 lbs.

Trandir
2019-09-05, 04:36 PM
The heaviest one-handed weapon is, apparently, Maul (Complete Warrior): 20 lbs.
Light weapons: Sapara (Arms and Equipment Guide) and Scorpion Claws (Sandstorm) are both 6 lbs.

Well thanks now every category has his champion.

And I am not sure how one can use a maul irl with one hand

Thurbane
2019-09-05, 04:59 PM
Weird that Maul is twice as heavy as the Warmace (in the very same book), yet the Warmace causes "a -1 penalty to Armor Class because the weight of the weapon makes it difficult to recover quickly from swinging it". :smalleek:

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-05, 05:07 PM
Armor spikes on mountain plate?

Trandir
2019-09-05, 05:20 PM
Armor spikes on mountain plate?
Emmmm I must admit this is an intresting take. But as fas as I know the spikes weight only 10 lb. so they are still pretty light compared to most weapons but they are light so they win in that category

Thurbane
2019-09-05, 05:43 PM
I know magic items aren't what the OP is looking for, but Daern's Instant Fortress (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#instantFortress) could be considered a "weapon" of sorts (it causes damage when it springs up). No weight is listed, but I've seen guesstimates of over 1700 tons. :smallbiggrin: