PDA

View Full Version : This weighted companion cube will accompany you through the rest of the chamber(item)

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-13, 07:45 PM
Guess what game I've been playing. :smallbiggrin:

Not in cruelty
Not in wrath
The REAPER came today
An ANGEL visited
this gray path
And took the cube away
- Unknown

Weighted Companion Cube
Value: 50gp
Craft Wonderous item, DC15, 200xp, 25gp, Ghost Sound, Sympathy

A Companion Cube is a 1x1x1ft. cube made of metal weighing 5lb and decorated with heart shaped symbols on each face. It becomes tied to anyone who picks it up and then holds it or remains within a 15ft. radius of it for 1 hour. As long as its owner holds it or remains within a 50ft. radius they recieve a +1 moral bonus to all attack roles and skill checks. While the Cube is held the holder (owner or not) will believe that it is talking to them. The cube is merely iducing the idea that it is speaking (it is not itself intelligent), what they believe it says to them depends on alignment;

{TABLE]Alignment|Cube's "Speech"|Example
Good|Friendly, supportive comments and useless advice|"Hello, how are you today. You should attack those goblins"
Neutral|Comments on holder's actions objectively, gives irrelavent advice|"The best cakes have fish shaped decorations, and rhubarb"
Evil|Death threats|"Turn your back. It makes you easier to stab![/TABLE]

Regardless of what the owner believes it says they cannot bring themselves to loose it or leave it behind. This is a mind affecting compulsion. The player will not willingly move more than 100ft. from the cube or leave a room without it. If they are forced to they take a -1 penalty on all attack rolls and skill checks. The only way to break the enchantment is to destroy the cube. The cube has 25hp and hardness 10. It is destroyed instantly by exteme heat. If the cube is being attack the owner will try to defend it, if it is destroyed the owner becomes panicked for 2d6 rounds. After this they are completly free of the cube's effects.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-13, 08:56 PM
That is hilarious. This thing can be quite a group dynamic. I like it.

Kiren
2007-10-13, 09:28 PM
Its

Awaited Companion cube

portal is fun

TheLogman
2007-10-13, 09:38 PM
Portal rules.

That is all.

P.S. Clever idea, great mechanic, but erm, does the companion cube actually talk in Portal? I was playing with my friend, so we might have missed it, but other than the "Test Proctor" insisting it doesn't talk, and Mr. Johnson insisting otherwise, does it actually talk?

Karma Guard
2007-10-13, 09:42 PM
Portal rules.

That is all.

P.S. Clever idea, great mechanic, but erm, does the companion cube actually talk in Portal? I was playing with my friend, so we might have missed it, but other than the "Test Proctor" insisting it doesn't talk, and Mr. Johnson insisting otherwise, does it actually talk?

That's the joke. :V

That the cube is just a cube, that is. Johnson lost his marbles.

Mr. Moogle
2007-10-13, 10:23 PM
is there a limit to how many of these things you can have, or is it your carrying capacity?

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-13, 11:28 PM
is there a limit to how many of these things you can have, or is it your carrying capacity?

Apature Science labs will only provide each particepant with one Companion Cube during the course of the experiment.

Goober4473
2007-10-13, 11:37 PM
Assuming you could get more than one, the morale bonus wouldn't stack, so you'd just have more than one cube talking to you.

Renloth
2007-10-14, 01:37 AM
Most of the point I think, is that the computer advises you that the companion cube cannot speak, and if it begins to, you are strong discouraged from following it's advice.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-14, 09:09 AM
Most of the point I think, is that the computer advises you that the companion cube cannot speak, and if it begins to, you are strong discouraged from following it's advice.

Hence the reason that the speech is only an illusion, and all advice is useless or irrelevant.

Kiren
2007-10-14, 09:22 AM

I heard the proctors voice coming from the cube when it says that,

Waspinator
2007-10-15, 09:40 AM
"The symptoms most commonly produced by Enrichment Center testing are superstition, perceiving inanimate objects as alive, and hallucinations. The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak. In the event that the Weighted Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice."

Arbitrarity
2007-10-15, 03:29 PM
This is likely to cause paranoia.

"You can't leave the cube behind!"
"Whadda ya mean? I put it down!"
"You can't!"

"Stupid DM railroading... probably a bomb or something"
*Time passes*
"So, what was with that cube?"
"It was a cube."

jindra34
2007-10-15, 03:37 PM
This is likely to cause paranoia.

"You can't leave the cube behind!"
"Whadda ya mean? I put it down!"
"You can't!"

"Stupid DM railroading... probably a bomb or something"
*Time passes*
"So, what was with that cube?"
"It was a cube."

I think that is the goal.

NephandiMan
2008-05-27, 02:32 PM
So, has anyone used GLaDOS as a BBEG? I'm thinking intelligent construct with Cloudkill as an at-will SLA - any other ideas?

Also, someone needs to stat out the Aperture Science Handheld Dimension Door Device.

Aleron
2008-05-27, 04:04 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59740
For those to lazy to click links
Aperture Science Hand-Held Portal Device, or the "Portal Gun"

This device is a white arm-length glove made of some alien combination of metal and some other strange materials. The first, lesser, ability of this glove-like device is a telekinesis-like power. The Glove can carry and manipulate up to 25 pounds of matter at a time, although the matter cannot be larger than 3 feet in any dimension. This function of the device allows for a player to manipulate this matter with little or no concentration, and leave the other hand free. Also, matter carried in this way cannot be disarmed without first disarming the wielder of the Portal device itself. The Matter manipulated may not be Organic. The wielder must in the square in or directly next to the object he is manipulating, and must be able to see it. If a fragile container, including but not exclusive to a flask carrying Alchemist's fire, Holy Water, or Acid is handled, the wielder can manipulate the object as normal, but must make a concentration check every other round the object is carried against DC 10 to handle it carefully. If that check is failed, the object is smashed by the energies of the gun, and the contents spill. A Character may substitute a Knowledge: Technology check for a Concentration check when trying to keep a fragile object steady.

The second, greater function of the Portal Gun is the ability to fire two "portals" to anywhere in the wielder's line of sight. A wielder has the choice to fire either an orange or a blue portal, and once one of each color is fired, a link is established between them. A portal can be placed on any surface that is not Lead or organic, and is solid. For instance, a wielder of the gun can place a portal on Ice, Steel, Plastic, Brick, or (Dead) Wood, but not a Tree, a person, Water, Acid, Lead, or Paper. When a Blue or Orange Portal is already placed, and the wielder launches another of the same type, the location of the already standing portal changes to the new location. At any time, the wielder can mentally discharge both portals as a Standard Action.

Firing a portal is a free action. A character of Medium size can easily walk, jump, or fall through a portal, but a Large Character must squeeze through with a DC 13 Escape Artist check. A character can also see through the portal, can send items though, stab a weapon through, and spell casters can fire spells through the portals, except those of the Electicity Descriptor (See Below). Any person or object moving at a speed maintains the speed while moving through the portals, so that a character falling at 50 feet per round falls through a Blue Portal, he flies out of the Orange Portal at 50 feet per round until Gravity takes effect. Transportation between the portals is instantaneous, and as long as the Wielder of the Portal gun is within 500 feet of the portals, and the wielder is not subject to to spells of the Electicity Descriptor, and does not walk into an anti-magic field or an electrical field, the portals remain stable.

The Portal gun, however, is not perfect. If the Portal gun is completely submerged in water, Both Portals close, the wielder takes 3d6 Electricity

The Necroswanso
2008-05-27, 05:27 PM
Wouldn't this be required to be intelligent? Wouldn't it technically gain an ego score? Wouldn't it eventually take over the party and destroy you all!? INCINERATE IT!!!

jagadaishio
2008-05-27, 10:04 PM
Quite the thread necromancy.

Aleron
2008-05-27, 10:20 PM
Quite the thread necromancy.

ROFL, didn't see that when I replied, my bad! :)

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-27, 10:33 PM
I'd increase the size and weight of it, myself.

SoD
2008-05-28, 02:35 AM
So using this item at one point! Looks very good. Heh, can\t wait to use it on my people.

BisectedBrioche
2008-05-28, 03:29 AM
Heh, I forgot about this. I can't believe Portal came out so long ago.

ikrase
2008-05-28, 07:51 PM
H.60:
Rod of Portals

This rod resembles a crossbow stock with a large bulbous end where the bow should be. It's shape makes clear that it is intended to be held in a similar way, and there are orange, blue, and black activation studs on the grip. Pressing either the blue or the orange activation stud fires a small ball of energy from the tip; this energy is the same color as the stud pressed. If this ball hits a flat surface, it opens up into an 5 foot tall, 3 foot wide oval of swirling energy, a 'portal'.

Firing a second portal of the same color causes the previous portal to vanish, but only if the ball opens into a portal when it hits something. If you fire an orange portal into an existing blue portal, the orange portal fizzles and the blue portal remains as it was. The effect is the same if the colors above are switched. If the black activation stud is triggered, all active portals immediately dissipate. If a Rod of Portals is ever brought into a dead magic zone or is subject to an anti-magic or dispelling effect, all active portals are immediately deactivated. Unlike in most cases, there is no save or caster level check for the rod.

If both the blue and the orange portals are active upon any flat surfaces within range, the portals open up onto each other, resembling a energy wreathed oval window looking out over the area where the other portal is located. Once both portals are open, you can step through one as easily as making any other movement, and you immediately exit from the other portal. Objects, people, energy, anything that can fit through the oval can be moved in this way, and no momentum or speed is lost.

LOLOL. THe cake is a lie. ANyone up for statting out turrets and GLaDOS as constructs?

Kane
2008-05-28, 08:14 PM
What would GLaDOS be? An ancient warforged with no arms or legs, but heavy implications of telekenetic or psychic powers?

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-05-29, 02:50 PM
The turrets would be fun, with a demoralizing cry "Are you still there?"

SurlySeraph
2008-05-29, 03:42 PM
The turrets would be fun, with a demoralizing cry "Are you still there?"

"I don't blame you..."

*shivers*

Those creepy turrets. What the hell kind of game makes you feel guilty about killing your enemies? I mean, guilty to the point that you seriously consider just letting them shoot you and never finishing the level? Why did the developers have to make the turrets sound like children?

Mewtarthio
2008-05-29, 03:43 PM
I think the cube is a lot bigger than 1x1x1 ft. It's closer to 3x3x3 ft, I believe.

As for statting out GLaDoS: What'd be the point? She is pretty much incapable of attacking you directly. Her core would be considered a destroyable inanimate object, and everything else would be DM fiat.