PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Medium armor for spellcaster (arcane) help

jdizzlean
2019-09-05, 12:08 AM
level 3, standard WBL

ASF is off the board from class feature/feat

what are some good options for starting gear? STR is of course the dump stat, so whether it weighs a lot, or can afford something to reduce the weight might be a good idea too.

all sources ok afaik.

i need to go dig up armor crystals and see if those might help too.

other than a xbow and some standard gear like rations, the rest can go into armor, so figure 2500gp ish, to play with.

xoxo playground

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-05, 12:22 AM
Mithril, twilight, githcraft, chain/breastplate is the gold standard (I think you also need to add feycraft to the breastplate). A githcraft dastana should be affordable earlier. Use that and mage armor till you can afford better.

You can also get something to take cover behind. Shapesand is okay for this if you have a good wisdom and can spare a turn.

NNescio
2019-09-05, 12:37 AM
Mithril, twilight, githcraft, chain/breastplate is the gold standard (I think you also need to add feycraft to the breastplate). A githcraft dastana should be affordable earlier. Use that and mage armor till you can afford better.

You can also get something to take cover behind. Shapesand is okay for this if you have a good wisdom and can spare a turn.

OP says "ASF is off the board from class feature/feat", so no need for githcraft, feycraft and twilight. (Mithral can still be nice though, due to the max AC and ACP bonuses.)

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-05, 12:46 AM
OP says "ASF is off the board from class feature/feat", so no need for githcraft, feycraft and twilight. (Mithral can still be nice though, due to the max AC and ACP bonuses.)

Ah. Then mithral chain with heartweave in it, and a chaka anna. dastana with a light shield, (I think dastana says it will stack with other shields) or a beetle buckler.

Try to get dwarven craft (more hardness/ hp of the object). Quick release may be useful as well if water is common. And an earthsilk jersey couldn`t hurt either.

jdizzlean
2019-09-05, 01:00 AM
Ah. Then mithral chain with heartweave in it, and a chaka anna. dastana with a light shield, (I think dastana says it will stack with other shields) or a beetle buckler.

Try to get dwarven craft (more hardness/ hp of the object). Quick release may be useful as well if water is common. And an earthsilk jersey couldn`t hurt either.

do you have sources for any/all of this?

sorry, i have like a dz windows and as many tabs open right now :p

edit: found beetle buckler in A&EG, but it's 6600, so that's right out for now
dastana is in there too, 25g for a +1 bonus, but only works w/ up to a chain shirt

dwarvencraft and earthsilk are in RoS

can't find anything for chaka anna tho

NNescio
2019-09-05, 01:59 AM
do you have sources for any/all of this?

sorry, i have like a dz windows and as many tabs open right now :p

edit: found beetle buckler in A&EG, but it's 6600, so that's right out for now
dastana is in there too, 25g for a +1 bonus, but only works w/ up to a chain shirt

Quick Release is also from the A&EG. IIRC it lets you take armor off as a standard action, but costs a few hundred GP.

Earthweave is from Races of Stone. Gives DR 1/Bludgeoning or Slashing, but tears when the wearer is a hit by a crit dealing Piercing damage. Then it stops providing DR until it's fixed.

(I forget how one is supposed to fix it. As for cost, I think it's somewhere around the 100~200 GP region.)

Dwarvencraft is also from RoS. No benefit for the wearer though; it just makes things more durable, at a cost of 300 GP (and I think double that for weapons).

jdizzlean
2019-09-05, 02:04 AM
dwarvencraft also gives you a +2 bonus on all saves, and the cost of masterwork is built into it, so for 300g total, that's a much better piece of armor

NNescio
2019-09-05, 02:08 AM
dwarvencraft also gives you a +2 bonus on all saves, and the cost of masterwork is built into it, so for 300g total, that's a much better piece of armor

I think the +2 bonus applies only to item saves, not the wearer's. But I may be misremembering things. (and I no longer have RoS to check.)

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-05, 09:54 AM
can't find anything for chaka anna tho

Chaihar aina. Phones will autocurrect the heck out of that if you are not careful. They are also in A&EG with their OG printing in OA.