PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 4th level ASI for a Roguish Diviner with great stats

Eldariel
2019-09-05, 04:20 AM
I'm playing a Diviner 3 soon to be Diviner 4, and I've got pretty great stats:

V. Human:
9 Str
14 Dex
13 Con
18 Int
11 Wis
12 Cha

I have Prodigy as my level 1 feat, to play up the sneaky angle (I've got modded Inquisition background for: Arcane, Investigation, Deception, Persuasion, Stealth [Expertise] and Insight; and Alchemist's Tools, Poisoner's Tools and Thieves' Tools). Since I rolled well enough, I was thinking of my options with the 4th ASI. I'm kinda tempted to take a feat such as Alert or Lucky, though Resilient: Con seems also nice (though I've yet to take a single hit since I play very back and use the familiar, illusions and crowd control to stay out of harm's way). Then again, 20 Int on level 4 would also be nice but I don't actually know a single spell that uses an attack roll nor do I have much interest in learning them. The rest of the party is all damage dealers so I'm pretty much pure utility and control. Even my cantrips are Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Friends. 4th level one is a toss-up between Mold Earth and Create Bonfire.

Myzzrym
2019-09-05, 04:47 AM
I mean... You can never go wrong with Lucky, it's one of the most (if not the most) busted feat. If your spells don't ever use attack rolls or DC I wouldn't see a reason to up Int.

Eldariel
2019-09-05, 06:27 AM
I mean... You can never go wrong with Lucky, it's one of the most (if not the most) busted feat. If your spells don't ever use attack rolls or DC I wouldn't see a reason to up Int.

Well, Int still enables me to prepare more spells per day and I do have some spells with DC, just not ones with attack rolls. And of course, I have two important Int skills (and a fair number of rolls in the others in spite of not having them trained).

Emongnome777
2019-09-05, 06:39 AM
Res (Con) is a great feat for you, but not needed so soon perhaps. Consider it seriously at 8th.

What about Alert? Big bonus to initiative will help you do the battlefield control schtick before the ensuing cluster.

You can wait on Int to 20 as well, but I can see the temptation to max your primary caster stat so soon.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-09-05, 09:04 AM
I'm a big fan of Res: Con as a feat. But if you're really not having a problem with getting hit, then I guess don't fix it yet.

I'd say that many of the control and god-wizard types of spells have DC saves. Since you're a diviner and already have a high Int score, you might not see much need to bump it yet. But there's just way too many important save-or-suck control spells out there to ignore maxing Int for long.

Both are important and useful, and there's probably no wrong choice. But when in doubt, you can never go wrong with just maxing Int.

solidork
2019-09-05, 09:53 AM
If I was playing a Diviner, I would covet the Cleric divination spells like Augury, Divination and Commune. They are obtainable with Ritual Caster: Cleric.

Galadhrim
2019-09-05, 12:44 PM
I would go with int +2. It ups your DC, which is great. Just as important, you have another available option in any given situation with an extra prepared spell. When you are the tool box, it's always better to have more tools available, at least that was my experience with my diviner (played through character level 13)

(I do love the idea of ritual caster cleric, a suggested above. If you know ahead of time what your will face, that makes it much easier to prepare the right spells. I never took it bc my dm hated giving away information so most divination was wasted. Ymmv)

Eldariel
2019-09-06, 02:26 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I just want +2 Int for the extra spell and the extra DC. Out of feats, I'm less and less interested in Lucky as I do so little of the rolling it applies to. Alert, however, is growing more interesting (and Observant for essentially +6 to Passive Perception would be kinda cool too if only I had skilled it) as my role really is to be the first action that makes the enemy group unable to act and our War Wizard already has Alert plus the class feature so I'd want to at least be near their total to be able to act first more. Then just simple Skilled is kinda alluring: Religion, Nature, Perception would make for a nice addition to my list (though Sleight of Hand is also intriguing).

Lyracian
2019-09-07, 02:53 AM
Thinking ahead what will your third level spells be? Hypnotic Patterns or similar will have a spell DC. Both the Con boost and Int are great. It is a balance between what the character wants to do between level 4 and 8 where you will have them both.

Eldariel
2019-09-07, 10:02 AM
Thinking ahead what will your third level spells be? Hypnotic Patterns or similar will have a spell DC. Both the Con boost and Int are great. It is a balance between what the character wants to do between level 4 and 8 where you will have them both.

Hypnotic Pattern will certainly be included. Animate Dead too. I'll go with minionmancy and CC; 1st level spells I still want to add to my repertoire include Grease, Alarm and Unseen Seer. Down the line I'm interested in spells like Haste, Slow, Fly, Major Image, etc. So yeah, +Int seems like the way to go. A rough half the time I'll still rely on DCs.