PDA

View Full Version : Do Lion Totem Barbarians really get pounce?

Magic Pancake
2007-10-13, 09:20 PM
I've looked in the SRD, and in Unearthed Arcana, but as far as I can tell nothing actually says that a Lion Totem Barbarian gets pounce. From what I see, it gets Run as a bonus feat, +2 to hide, and a +2 damage when charging. I know everyone says that you get pounce (which would be very useful), but I don't see where it says you get it. Am I blind, or did everyone else miss it somehow?

AlterForm
2007-10-13, 09:22 PM
You're in the wrong source.

You want...uh...I forgot. :smalltongue:

I think it was Complete Champion.

Neon Knight
2007-10-13, 09:23 PM
We are referring to the Lion Totem Barbarian found in Complete Champion.

EndgamerAzari
2007-10-13, 09:23 PM
Complete Champion.

Edit: Damn, ninja'd!

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-13, 09:24 PM
*sigh* Complete Champion is where you need to look to find that piece of garbage. I would never allow anyone to take it. Pounce shouldn't be something you can dip a level to get. You should have to invest more effort than that!

Oi.

Magic Pancake
2007-10-13, 09:33 PM
You're in the wrong source.

You want...uh...I forgot. :smalltongue:

I think it was Complete Champion.

Thanks. I wonder why WotC couldn't give it a new name...

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-13, 09:54 PM
*sigh* Complete Champion is where you need to look to find that piece of garbage. I would never allow anyone to take it. Pounce shouldn't be something you can dip a level to get. You should have to invest more effort than that!
If it was switched with the sixth level lion totem ability, would it be more acceptable/ I seem to remember that the sixth level ability wasn't anything special.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-13, 10:09 PM
I would be much more OK with it as a 6th level replacement, but I would honestly prefer it to wait until 7-8th level. Like a 2nd or 3rd level PrC ability.

Kaelik
2007-10-13, 10:55 PM
The source of your confusion is that it is not actually called a Lion Totem Barbarian. Everyone just calls it that. It's actual name is "Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian" to go with the other Spirit X Totems in Complete Champion.

Fizban
2007-10-14, 01:29 AM
And just in case the other posters weren't clear, it's ridiculously overpowered. Pounce is the kind of thing a prestige class gets as a final ability, and then only with one type of weapon or some other limitation. Whoever wrote that ability was out of their mind.

shadowdemon_lord
2007-10-14, 01:37 AM
Wow. Pounce is such a broken power for something of the barbarians caliber. If you used a psi-warrior/barbarian combo you could do speed of thought, haste, barbarian speed upgrade, for a super mobile character that does about 200 damage to anything within say, 170 feet every round. Heh, wow.

Armads
2007-10-14, 01:40 AM
Psychic Warriors already get pounce as a swift action with extra damage to boot, via psionic lion's charge.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-14, 01:42 AM
Psychic Warriors already get pounce as a swift action with extra damage to boot, via psionic lion's charge.

At will? From a 1-level dip?

The_Snark
2007-10-14, 01:45 AM
It's considerably less broken, though, because...

1. Psychic warriors get it at 4th level, earliest; it is in no way a dip.
2. They're not a full BAB class. They aren't getting as many attacks.
3. They can't use it as often as they want, especially at 4th level.
4. They can use swift actions for other things; they're actually sacrificing a useful action for this.

The problem isn't that they gave barbarians pounce. That would be okay. The real problem problem is that they gave everybody who can spare 1 class level pounce.

Jack Mann
2007-10-14, 02:07 AM
As a DM, I would be okay with this as a sixth level ability. It's good, it's powerful, but frankly, anything that helps the frontliners get a full attack in is a good thing (though I'd likely curb the use of leap attack/shock trooper in conjunction with this ability). My only real problem is that a one-level dip makes it too easy to get. Especially since your basic barbarian doesn't even get any real use of this until sixth level (since he's using a two-handed weapon).

Armads
2007-10-14, 02:15 AM
The problem isn't that they gave barbarians pounce. That would be okay. The real problem problem is that they gave everybody who can spare 1 class level pounce.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that the barbarian level was not really necessary for the previous build posted.

UserClone
2007-10-14, 07:32 AM
I would flip it around and give him that "Roaring" ability at level 1 and Pounce at 6.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-14, 02:11 PM
I personally would put pounce into the 2WF tree. That way 2WF would actually have an advantage over 2HF, sometimes. As opposed to just being inferior.

I like meaningful build choices. Do I make lots of attacks, or do I hit things really hard once? Pounce with 2HF and PA just bothers me on a conceptual level, if not from mechanical standpoint. The 1-level dip is just ridiculous though.