PDA

View Full Version : Spell against being overheard

ChudoJogurt
2019-09-05, 12:29 PM
Is there a spell or magic item that would allow two (or more) characters to talk without being overheard?

I need something that can be done by one of them and less intimate than telepathy of some sort. It is extra preferable if an ousider could read their lips but not hear them.

Trandir
2019-09-05, 12:34 PM
Message maybe?
It burns a cantrip and is not telepathy not in the strict sense.
You coud build a custom magic item for 900 gp so with less than 2000 gp two PC can talk with little chance to be heard.

Silvercrys
2019-09-05, 02:12 PM
Could stick them in a Silence spell and have them read each other's lips (DC 15 Spot check, pretty easy if they can take 10 and have a ring that gives them +5 to it or something).

If you're the DM and this is a plot device, though, you could just give one of them a unique activated magic item that creates a "silence" effect but only prevents people outside of the spell effect from hearing what happens inside it.

Anymage
2019-09-05, 02:54 PM
Private Sanctum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesPrivateSanctum.htm) does exactly that, plus extra. Although part of that "extra" does mean that the area is obscured from outsiders trying to look in, so reading lips is impossible.

If you want to try creating a lesser version (smaller area, shorter duration, faster casting time, no visual obscurement) for use when you just want a little privacy in a public place, that's exactly the sort of thing that an enterprising wizard could research. Not drawing attention to yourself with a big smoky cloud would be seen as an advantage, not a disadvantage. And if that does leave you open to having your lips read, that's the sort of drawback that could easily be overlooked in spell design.

Castilonium
2019-09-05, 03:26 PM
Silent Table (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/silent-table/) if you're fine with using Pathfinder. 2nd level spell.

Khedrac
2019-09-05, 04:12 PM
Zone of Silence - the ultimate party stealth spell. 1 hour per level and you can converse (or cast) normally, but no-one outside the 5' radius can hear anything.
Bard 4 in core, but it is also a Beguiler spell, at which point one character can cast both Zone of Silence and Invisibility Sphere for a fully party infiltrating undetected.

Thurbane
2019-09-05, 05:01 PM
Zone of Silence - the ultimate party stealth spell. 1 hour per level and you can converse (or cast) normally, but no-one outside the 5' radius can hear anything.
Bard 4 in core, but it is also a Beguiler spell, at which point one character can cast both Zone of Silence and Invisibility Sphere for a fully party infiltrating undetected.

Yeah, we had a Beguiler in our party when we played EttRoG, and we walked around with ZoS and IS up most of the time...

ChudoJogurt
2019-09-06, 10:12 AM
Zone of Silence is absolutely perfect, thank you.
One thing I'm always confused about - can this spell be voluntarily dismissed by the caster?

NNescio
2019-09-06, 10:57 AM
Zone of Silence is absolutely perfect, thank you.
One thing I'm always confused about - can this spell be voluntarily dismissed by the caster?

Technically yes, but practically no (under normal circumstances).

It is dismissible (has the "(D)" under duration), but since ZoS has a verbal component the dismissal action requires the caster to "speak words of dismissal", which can't be performed since the caster is under ZoS.

Silvercrys
2019-09-06, 11:00 AM
Aha, I've never played a Bard so I didn't even know Zone of Silence existed. Cool spell.

It is dismissable according to the SRD -- any spell with a duration that ends with "(D)" can be dismissed as a standard action by the original caster. I think you can still speak the words of dismissal under Zone of Silence since it doesn't actually negate all sound the way regular Silence does.

Uncle Pine
2019-09-06, 11:02 AM
Technically yes, but practically no (under normal circumstances).

It is dismissible (has the "(D)" under duration), but since ZoS has a verbal component the dismissal action requires the caster to "speak words of dismissal", which can't be performed since the caster is under ZoS.

"[The caster] and those within the spell's area can converse normally", so casting Zone of Silence doesn't prevent you from dismissing it.

NNescio
2019-09-06, 12:17 PM
"[The caster] and those within the spell's area can converse normally", so casting Zone of Silence doesn't prevent you from dismissing it.

Failed my Spot Decipher Script check. Yep, it is dismissible.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-07, 12:47 AM
I don't know if there are any magic items or spells that grant Speak Language, but if you and your friend both know Drow Sign Language your odds of being overheard (or even otherwise intercepted) drop to about zero. Or you can just spend the ranks to learn it the mundane way.