PDA

View Full Version : Potential Magic Item

TriciaOso
2019-09-05, 01:58 PM
I was trying to think of a good signature magic item/set of items for a sword-and-boarder. I like the idea of Absorb Elements-based linked enchantment - the shield absorbing elemental energy and channeling it to an attack.

What would you think would be the appropriate rarity/appropriate level to recieve for this, assuming the enchantment works an unlimited number of times per day? 3 times per day? Once a day?

J-H
2019-09-05, 02:30 PM
Absorb Elements is a 1st level spell that consumes a reaction.
Slippers of Spider Climbing continuously duplicates a 2nd level spell, while requiring Attunement, at only "Uncommon" level - so you might find it at level 3-5.

Absorb Elements on a shield 3/day as an Uncommon item (level 3-5 or higher) requiring Attunement should be fine and useful for a long time.

I would stay away from an Always-On effect in favor of just Xs of resistance or immunity.

Rerem115
2019-09-05, 03:10 PM
Alternatively, you can tie it to a specific element; it's made of a particular set of dragon scales or something like that. It grants resistance to the matching element, and when you take damage of that type, you can use your reaction to empower your strikes.

*EDIT* If you're more defensively minded, a shield I acquired in a campaign I was in might work, too:

Lightning Rod--Shield, Uncommon, (Attunement at DM's discretion)

This shield grants the bearer resistance to Lightning damage. Additionally, when a source would deal lightning damage to a target within 30 feet of the bearer, they can use their to redirect it so it targets them and only them.

RickAllison
2019-09-05, 05:12 PM
Never forget about the possibility of letting it grow with them. Inuyasha’s Tenseiga goes from a dope sword useful when starting out, gets upgraded by a smith later, and even later absorbs power from an enemy. So it could start off as only having limited Absorb Elements, or just helping with one element, but a quest reward later could take the form of an upgrade.

J-H
2019-09-05, 06:07 PM
Mirrored Shield (A) (Very Rare)
This shield has a magically shiny outside that is mirror-reflective (useful against certain gaze-attack wielding foes). Any time a ranged spell attack is made against you and misses, roll a d4. On a 4, the spell is reflected back at the caster using the same attack roll and save DC as though it had hit you.

TriciaOso
2019-09-05, 06:20 PM
Never forget about the possibility of letting it grow with them. Inuyasha’s Tenseiga goes from a dope sword useful when starting out, gets upgraded by a smith later, and even later absorbs power from an enemy. So it could start off as only having limited Absorb Elements, or just helping with one element, but a quest reward later could take the form of an upgrade.

I'm definitely into an item that scales, which is why I was curious about appropriateness at different levels.

To expand, I'm a DMing a party with a pretty wide variety of attack styles but no classic "big ****-off magic weapon" wielders*. They just hit level 3, and I'm trying to push myself to think about magic weapons that fit into their builds. I've seen the complaints that there's no good magic weapon options for dual wielders and I don't want to fall into the trap of "here's a cool sword none of you can use."

Definitely some cool shields here so thanks for the ideas! I especially like the mirrored shield, as I have tentative beholderish plans in the distant future.

*Hexblade with a kusari-gama (the chain is flavored as his eldritch blast but still takes up a hand), dual-wielding rogue, sword & board paladin, cleric with crap physical stats who depends on her cantrip, gunslinger fighter.