PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Brood Monkeys

Thurbane
2019-09-05, 05:14 PM
Based on this web article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a), does this look correct:

Brood Monkeys As Characters

• -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
• Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
• A brood monkey’s base land speed is 30 feet, and it has a climb speed of 20 ft.
• Darkvision out to 120 feet.
• Immune to Enchantment (Ex): The brood monkey's fantastic faith and focus grant it complete immunity to all spells and spell-like effects of the school of enchantment. This extends to supernatural attacks and effects that duplicate spells of these schools, such as a vampire's domination gaze.
• Low-light vision.
• Flurry of Blows (Ex): A brood monkey can flail wildly with any simple melee weapon or unarmed attack as a full attack action. This grants the brood monkey an additional attack with his melee weapon, but all melee weapon attacks suffer a -2 penalty as a result. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the brood monkey might make before its next action. A brood monkey with at least 5 Hit Dice becomes more adept with his flurry of blows attack, and the penalty for using it drops to -1. A brood monkey with at least 9 Hit Dice has no penalty at all to his flurry of blows attacks. A brood monkey may attack with his bite as a secondary weapon in a round he performs a flurry of blows - any penalties from his flurry of blows do not apply to his bite attack.
• Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day - cure minor wounds, doom (DC 11 + Cha modifier); 1/day - cause fear (DC 11 + Cha modifier), cure light wounds, shield of faith. Caster level 2.
• Racial Hit Dice: A brood monkey begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A brood monkey’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot and Tumble. A brood monkey has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can choose to take 10 on a Climb check even when rushed or threatened. A brood monkey's natural agility gives it a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks.
• Racial Feats: A brood monkey’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat. It gains Alertness as a bonus feat.
• +1 natural armor bonus.
• Natural Weapon: Bite (1d3).
• Automatic Languages: Brood Monkey. Bonus Languages: Common.
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass brood monkey takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
• Level adjustment +2.

https://i.imgur.com/NpOwiZX.jpg

I've taken some liberty with favored class, given that none is mentioned. I used the same rule as for the Chaond. Also, not sure if they should receive Common as a bonus language, based on this:

Some brood monkeys communicate among themselves with a crude language that consists of a few words of Common augmented with hoots, hollers, and wild gesticulations. Their leaders can often recite long and complex prayers to their ancient deities (in Common), yet few of them can grasp the actual meaning of the words, having learned them phonetically from their elders at a young age.

Cheers - T

Uncle Pine
2019-09-06, 08:32 AM
You might want to specify that the DCs for a brood monkey's SLAs is actually 11+Cha modifier, which is 12 only for the average brood monkey (with Cha 12). Other than that it looks perfectly fine to me.

noce
2019-09-06, 08:40 AM
You might want to specify that the DCs for a brood monkey's SLAs is actually 11+Cha modifier, which is 12 only for the average brood monkey (with Cha 12). Other than that it looks perfectly fine to me.

Isn't it 10 + half HDs + CHA? Thus scaling with character level?

Uncle Pine
2019-09-06, 09:26 AM
Isn't it 10 + half HDs + CHA? Thus scaling with character level?

That's for (Su): the DC for SLAs is calculated as 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. For cause fear and doom - the only SLAs of a brood monkey that offer a saving throw, both based on 1st level spell - this translates to 11 + Cha. Link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

Malphegor
2019-09-06, 02:49 PM
Huh. Their lore is a bit depressing. When the world goes to hell, humans regress back into a monkey-like form, reciting prayers they’ve long forgotten the meaning of, begging for a salvation that never came. Feels like a thing from the Time Machine, like super pious Morlocks

Thurbane
2019-09-06, 04:40 PM

Great point, thank you.

It's a shame about the massive hit to Int, otherwise they might be an interesting monstrous race to play.

pabelfly
2019-09-06, 05:45 PM
I would assume if they don't have a Favored Class it would default to "Any" like what a human has.

Thurbane
2019-09-06, 06:11 PM
I would assume if they don't have a Favored Class it would default to "Any" like what a human has.

Hmm, interesting. Would certainly make them more versatile...

Sereg
2019-09-06, 11:13 PM
Their fluff would make me give them a favoured class of Cleric. But that is just me. Especially as I use early pathfinder rules for favoured classes instead of multiclass penalties

DrMotives
2019-09-07, 12:08 AM
I don't think cleric makes as much sense for a favored class as much as a more "primitive" version of a divine caster. They have no idea what the prayers they say are, they're just reciting stuff. Kinda like the people from Ridley Walker, if anyone knows that book. If I used these guys and gave them a favored class, it'd be maybe shaman, spirit shaman, or maybe savage bard. They don't have the formal education or the armor training, not as a default class many of them take across the board.

Sereg
2019-09-07, 02:45 AM
That makes sense

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-08, 06:13 AM
Note that oimans would recite centuries old prayers they were incapable of understanding because they worked before so cleric would not be an odd on out here, although cleric feels like a strange favored class for any race. The concept of an entire race of holy men in a world a multi god as DnD.

noce
2019-09-08, 06:24 AM
Note that oimans would recite centuries old prayers they were incapable of understanding because they worked before so cleric would not be an odd on out here, although cleric feels like a strange favored class for any race. The concept of an entire race of holy men in a world a multi god as DnD.

This would be the only savage race with favored class cleric, though. Gray Orc is a prime example.

Thurbane
2019-09-08, 04:51 PM
Changed favored class to "any"; added common as a bonus language (honestly, with a -6 to Int, if you can manage to get a bonus language, good luck to you).

Sereg
2019-09-09, 06:49 AM
Iirc, Raptorans have favoured class Cleric