PDA

View Full Version : Magic Initiate and/or Ritual Caster for Martial Classes

Expected
2019-09-05, 07:45 PM
So I have decided to play a VHuman Battle Master Fighter with 16 12 16 8 13 8 with GWM, PAM, Sentinel, and Lucky. I am looking to take Ritual Caster: Wizard (for the owl Find Familiar and other utility rituals) and/or Magic Initiate for Hex (for synergy with extra attack).

Is this optimal for combat? The idea is to use the owl for advantage on my first attack with Trip Attack and have Hex for concentration and the increased damage per attack. The benefit is that it lasts an hour but to move it to an enemy, it'd use my bonus action. And does Hex interact with the Battle Master maneuvers if I make the hexed enemy have disadvantage on Str saves?

Rerem115
2019-09-05, 07:50 PM
Owl's good, though I prefer Tressym, myself :smalltongue:.

For Hex, though, it doesn't do anything to saves. It specifically targets ability checks. For the purpose of tripping them, it would mean that the Maneuver functions exactly the same, but if you tried to Shove them, forcing an opposed Strength (Athletics) check, they would have disadvantage.

CTurbo
2019-09-06, 09:23 AM
I LOVE either or both of those feats for Fighters, but I prefer them for utility and for things to do outside of combat. I would not take them to boost combat.

RickAllison
2019-09-06, 10:07 AM
An additional bonus you’ll get as part of those feats is being labeled as a spellcaster. Not only can you cast those spells, but you are able to attune to wands and such which further increase your capabilities.