PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Inquisitive Rogue / War Cleric dip (build questions solved)

RingoBongo
2019-09-06, 12:24 AM
I am making a hill dwarf inquisitive rogue with a war cleric dip. I am taking ASI dex +2 first, then ??? (between tough, dual wielder, lucky, or skulker), then resilient con.

Current question: What feats/ ASI should take? And order?

I think probably Dex +2 first. After that idk but I definitely want to squeeze resilient con in the first 3 ASI/feat things.

So.... I am not making the most optimized build ever. But, I want at least the better of these two options (old question, solved):

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con: 17
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

OR

Con: 15
Wis: 16

Ability score question solved: took more wisdom.

Basically playing a little sturdy buff bot (through cleric concentration spells like bless and enhance ability, etc) that has his own individual skill usefulness. Its definitely a more support oriented character. Its not like an ultimate optimized build but it fits the backstory and is a refreshing angle on a character I haven't yet tried.

**** side notes****
- DM allowed an extra point in dex beyond standard point buy rules, but still 27 total
- progressing through rogue 3 first, then cleric dip 1 or 2, then back to rogue, cleric to 4 later.
- first 2 expertise is perception and insight, then stealth and investigation OR thieves' tools.

Other comments on build are welcome.

Ghost Nappa
2019-09-06, 11:18 AM
At a lower level, I would prefer the extra CON because an extra HP can make much more of a difference at Level 1.

At a higher level, the difference is more negligible and I'd rather have the extra WIS for skills, saves, and Cleric Spells.

stoutstien
2019-09-06, 11:31 AM
So.... I am not making the most optimized build ever. But, I want at least the better of these two options:

Con: 17
Wis: 14

OR

Con: 15
Wis: 16

I am making a hill dwarf inquisitive rogue with a war cleric dip. I am taking ASI dex +2 first, then ??? (between tough, dual wielder, lucky, or skulker), then resilient con.

Basically playing a little sturdy buff bot (through cleric concentration spells like bless and enhance ability, etc) that has his own individual skill usefulness. Its definitely a more support oriented character. Its not like an ultimate optimized build but it fits the backstory and is a refreshing angle on a character I haven't yet tried.

Between the two it comes down to +1 war priest use and +1 to wisdom based skills (like insight and perception) that go hand in hand with inquisitive rogue features (like insightful fighting and eye for detail)--- note I will likely not prepare any damaging cleric spells (aside from maybe toll of the dead) or any spells that require an enemy save.

on the other hand, I would gain a +1 to con saves and more total hp (which I'm might try to stack in an odd way with hill dwarf racial feature and tough feat)

**** side notes****
- DM allowed an extra point in dex beyond standard point buy rules, but still 27 total
- progressing through rogue 3 first, then cleric dip 1 or 2, then back to rogue, cleric to 4 later.
- first 2 expertise is stealth and insight, then perception and investigation OR thieves' tools.

Other comments on build or second feat suggestions are welcome.

Careful on dumping strength below 10. Or grab expertise to counter it. Look into the jumping rules.

RingoBongo
2019-09-06, 12:37 PM
At a lower level, I would prefer the extra CON because an extra HP can make much more of a difference at Level 1.

At a higher level, the difference is more negligible and I'd rather have the extra WIS for skills, saves, and Cleric Spells.

I agree 100%. it's just that they cleric spells I really won't require much of a spell casting modifier (aside from healing someone for 1 extra point) because I'm not going to use those types of spells: ones that require a to hit or save.

The reason for this is rp the character as a less magical and more just blessed by the gods so that his will is carried out in a more logical manner than something that can be viewed as more of a direct magical action (like shooting a guiding bolt)

Not sure if that makes sense... Hard to word what I am trying to describe.

Nidgit
2019-09-06, 03:13 PM
I'd go with the extra Wis over Con. You're already averaging 8 HP per level, which should be plenty, and Wisdom is pretty important for an Inquisitive Rogue. 20 AC and 43 HP by Level 5 is plenty good.

RingoBongo
2019-09-06, 04:06 PM
I'd go with the extra Wis over Con. You're already averaging 8 HP per level, which should be plenty, and Wisdom is pretty important for an Inquisitive Rogue. 20 AC and 43 HP by Level 5 is plenty good.

Yeah... I figure as a inquisitive rogue I'll be rolling wisdom related skills more than con saves. Hp is only so useful. Makes sense... It's decided.

Lyracian
2019-09-07, 02:48 AM
I would take the Wisdom

JumboWheat01
2019-09-07, 08:10 AM
I would rather have the Wisdom boost. You already have an extra HP from being a hill dwarf, so boosting your perception is a great thing for a rogue. Plus it opens up some offensive spell use at early cleric levels (like Command or some such thing.)

Plus I kinda like the idea of a wise rogue. Isn't leaping tall buildings or just rushing in for shiny loot, is stopping to make sure things are safe.

RingoBongo
2019-09-07, 06:37 PM
Since starting ability scores question is solved, I edited post to reflect new question about feats / ASIs.

JumboWheat01
2019-09-07, 07:27 PM
I would actually go to Rogue 4 BEFORE a cleric dip, since ASI are tied to class levels rather than character levels this edition. Dex is your main offensive stat, you probably want that +2 to it pretty early, or if you want to dip into buffs with your cleric spells, Resilient (Con) at first, so you're ready and raring to go with those Con saves to keep Concentration buffs up.

RingoBongo
2019-09-07, 07:52 PM
I would actually go to Rogue 4 BEFORE a cleric dip, since ASI are tied to class levels rather than character levels this edition. Dex is your main offensive stat, you probably want that +2 to it pretty early, or if you want to dip into buffs with your cleric spells, Resilient (Con) at first, so you're ready and raring to go with those Con saves to keep Concentration buffs up.

I feel like x3 war priest uses per long rest, shortbow upgrade to longbow, and the ability to cast cantrip's and a couple first level spells are slightly more valuable than a feat or ASI one level earlier...

As for which first... Still leaning toward +2 Dex for more reliable sneak attack, +1 ac, etc. Resilient con shortly after. But I'm lost with what else/ what next.

iTreeby
2019-09-07, 08:30 PM
Magic initiate druid for shillelagh and magic stone? That way you always have too many options for your bonus action.

JumboWheat01
2019-09-07, 08:37 PM
Skulker is a particular favorite of mine for darkvision having rogues. You still get disadvantage to perception checks that use sight in low light, which is what darkvision upgrades full darkness too, so getting rid of that, plus adding on your expertise and wisdom modifier, makes you pretty much a god at spotting things. And if you stick with ranged weapons, you can hide, fire off a shot, and remain hidden on the off-change you miss.

Medium Armor Master feat might be something interesting if durability is more your thing. Being able to stealth perfectly fine in Half-plate while getting an extra AC may be right up your alley. And as I've learned earlier, evasion works no matter the armor weight you're wearing, so no worries there.

bid
2019-09-07, 08:47 PM
Magic initiate druid for shillelagh and magic stone? That way you always have too many options for your bonus action.
Shillelagh is not finesse, bad for a rogue.

RingoBongo
2019-09-07, 09:11 PM

That sounds terrible! Sorry, no offense.

Skulker is a particular favorite of mine for darkvision having rogues. You still get disadvantage to perception checks that use sight in low light, which is what darkvision upgrades full darkness too, so getting rid of that, plus adding on your expertise and wisdom modifier, makes you pretty much a god at spotting things. And if you stick with ranged weapons, you can hide, fire off a shot, and remain hidden on the off-change you miss.

Medium Armor Master feat might be something interesting if durability is more your thing. Being able to stealth perfectly fine in Half-plate while getting an extra AC may be right up your alley. And as I've learned earlier, evasion works no matter the armor weight you're wearing, so no worries there.

Yeah, skulker does compliment inquisitive rogue perception rolls well. This is a great option.

Medium armor master would net me 18 ac and stealth. If I take Dex to 20 I can get up to 17 ac... +1 maybe +2 ac isn't really worth it in my opinion. I could just grab a shield if I need more ac, or maybe even don full plate and drop stealth ability sometimes. Seems more complicated than I want and not much gain.

If I take skulker, I would take it after +2 dex. Do I take resilient con first or after skulker?

JumboWheat01
2019-09-07, 09:38 PM
If you're gonna stay at range more, I think pushing Resilient (Con) off to third would be okay, since you're less likely to be hit after all, and grab Skulker after that +2. If you're planning to melee it up, Resilient (Con) (or if your DM loves throwing things that make you roll Con saves in general, get that feat ASAP,) then Skulker.

RingoBongo
2019-09-07, 10:01 PM
Makes sense. We'll see how it goes...

Our party is a bit odd and I'm not sure where I will be on the battle field. But I'll be ready.

Just finished scrolling through feats again... Not much else is appealing aside from maybe lucky or tough. Feels good to have first three nailed down though.

Thank you!