PDA

View Full Version : Is there any pathfinder 2 threads?

Throne12
2019-09-06, 11:45 AM
Is the a area dedicated to pathfinder 2 like d&d 5e.

Ventruenox
2019-09-06, 02:10 PM
If you mean a dedicated sub-forum, not at this time.

Throne12
2019-09-06, 03:04 PM
If you mean a dedicated sub-forum, not at this time.

Thank you for the replay

LibraryOgre
2019-09-06, 04:12 PM
The Mod Ogre: Until we hear otherwise, Pathfinder 2 is in the 3.x forum.

Particle_Man
2019-09-06, 06:06 PM
This thread might be useful to the OP:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594345-Pathfinder-2-Release

Feantar
2019-09-07, 02:54 PM
The Mod Ogre: Until we hear otherwise, Pathfinder 2 is in the 3.x forum.

Wait, is PF2 backwards compatible with 3.5?

Manyasone
2019-09-07, 03:29 PM
Dude. It isn't even backwards compatible with PF1...people here keep comparing it with 4th edition of all things...

Remuko
2019-09-07, 03:29 PM

No, but since this sub-forum is also for pathfinder, it seems p2 stuff is staying here for now

137beth
2019-09-07, 03:36 PM
Rule of Cool Legend is also not backwards-compatible with 3.5, but it gets discussed here occasionally (or it used to, anyhow).

RedWarlock
2019-09-07, 04:00 PM
Hey mods! Any chance we could get a PF2 prefix?

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-08, 12:34 AM

PF2 is not compatible with any other d20 based game at all due to the action system and more crucially the degrees of failure and success system. The action system makes it harder to adapt actions across due to there not really being a swift action slot (or minor or bonus in 4e/5e respectively). Degrees of failure and success makes it harder because every action needs to at least consider 4 states, and the -/+10 thresholds mean that numbers need to be kept in a very narrow zone to prevent ballooning critical success or failure rates.

Crake
2019-09-08, 02:17 AM
PF2 is not compatible with any other d20 based game at all due to the action system and more crucially the degrees of failure and success system. The action system makes it harder to adapt actions across due to there not really being a swift action slot (or minor or bonus in 4e/5e respectively). Degrees of failure and success makes it harder because every action needs to at least consider 4 states, and the -/+10 thresholds mean that numbers need to be kept in a very narrow zone to prevent ballooning critical success or failure rates.

Realistically, since it's not a d20 derivative (despite people arguing that "it uses a d20, thus it's a d20 game" which is objectively wrong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_System)), it really shouldn't belong in the d20 subforum. Ideally it should be under older dnd/other systems, or should have it's own dedicated subforum.

EldritchWeaver
2019-09-08, 05:45 AM
Realistically, since it's not a d20 derivative (despite people arguing that "it uses a d20, thus it's a d20 game" which is objectively wrong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_System)), it really shouldn't belong in the d20 subforum. Ideally it should be under older dnd/other systems, or should have it's own dedicated subforum.

While true, at this point, the number of threads are so low that a dedicated subforum is a waste of space. And I wouldn't really look into "other", because it is after all a big brand.

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-08, 08:01 AM
While true, at this point, the number of threads are so low that a dedicated subforum is a waste of space. And I wouldn't really look into "other", because it is after all a big brand.

Interest is low because the Venn diagram of "people that understand and are enthusiastic about 3.PF" and "people who understand and are enthusiastic about PF2" looks like this, complete with relative size.

OO

I can't get them to be just barely touching, but I think my point has been made both adequately and facetiously.

Sloanzilla
2019-09-08, 10:02 AM
I don't see how this could go well.

Wasn't Paizo's rise largely caused by people resistant to moving past 3.X? They probably didn't feel like they had much choice in the matter but to introduce a new system at some point, but bringing in a new system that seems 4.0ish doesn't exactly seem like the best option.

LibraryOgre
2019-09-08, 10:08 AM

The Mod Ogre: That's something to take up in Board/Site Issues. Generally, mods are only here for member behavior and a bit of traffic directing; moving threads that are in the wrong place, reminding everyone to behave, issuing warnings or infractions for misbehavior. We aren't involved in the more technical aspect of the site, including adding tags.

Palanan
2019-09-08, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by RedWarlock

I asked this over in Site Issues a couple of weeks ago. No official reply so far.

I’m guessing this isn’t any kind of priority, since there seems to be only a handful of people really digging into PF2 right now. From what I can tell, PF2 players are only a small subset of Pathfinder players, who are a small subset of 3.5/d20 players.

So definitely not worth a subforum, and a new prefix is understandably not a top issue right now.

Rhedyn
2019-09-08, 10:56 AM
It's a non issue because there just won't be many PF2E threads outside of the Paizo forum.

Palanan
2019-09-08, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rhedyn
It's a non issue because there just won't be many PF2E threads outside of the Paizo forum.

The game has just come out, and people are still working their way through the system. I expect there will be more threads as more questions come up, which is why I think a PF2 prefix would be very helpful.

Particle_Man
2019-09-08, 08:22 PM
There is the one thread I linked in my post above and a few threads like this one wondering about where PF2 threads should go. I have not seen any other pf2 threads here, although I imagine there must have been at least some hype threads and some playtest threads that I missed.

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-08, 10:58 PM
There is the one thread I linked in my post above and a few threads like this one wondering about where PF2 threads should go. I have not seen any other pf2 threads here, although I imagine there must have been at least some hype threads and some playtest threads that I missed.

Playtest threads? I think there were about 4ish, although the last one petered out. They were very much negative in character,

Hype threads? None that I saw on here. GitP collectively is anti-hyped for it, it seems.