PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Character Above

TyGuy
2019-09-06, 02:19 PM
NOTE: this is less about munchkin builds and more about flavor/style/cool factor.

Post your character first, then review the character above your post in an edit. Otherwise people get skipped and we don't want that.
Rules:

Level 12 maximum
Share what you find to be your most interesting character ideas, not your most exploiting/min-max/OP-for-X builds
Post your character but remember to review the most recent character shared before your post
Keep debate/filler posts to a minimum (obviously people will want to chime in, but please don't derail the game)
Be nice

Character

Name (optional)
Title/Label/Build Name (e.g. sea witch, dragon knight, etc)
Race (with subrace), Class(es) (with subclasses)
Stat array (very optional)
Backstory: (optional) keep it short and sweet, a couple sentences, don't make us read a novel!
Defining features cut it down to the top 3-5 defining aspects, be they spells, class features, feats, etc.
Theme Describe your vision of how it all comes together and plays out. Keep it readable. Again, don't crit us with a wall of text.

Review

[Quote of the previous character]
What you like most
What you don't care for (if anything)
What you would tweak (suggestions/personal preferences)
__ /10 Style Is it cool, does it conjure strong imagery?
__/10 Originality Is it creative?

And this isn't about plugging my ideas so someone please kick this off.

Mongobear
2019-09-06, 02:52 PM
Character

Name Nareval Therendis

Title/Label/Build Name Revenant Barbarian

Wood Elf Ancestral Barbarian 12

Stat array Assuming standard PB, 15 15 15 8 13 8 after racials.

Backstory: Raised to honor the deeds of his ancestors, Nareval trained to wield the Revenant Double Scimitar, their most honored weapon. Through a deeper connection to the blade, he can summon forth his ancestors in battle.

Defining features Level 4 Revenant Blade, Level 8 Resilient Wisdom, Level 12 +1 Dex/Con to round off odd stats, then max Strength from there. BA Attack and good Unarmored AC from Feats.

Theme Levels 1-3 will be a standard Barbarian, probably Sword/Shield to survive. At 4, Revenant Blade gives a BA attack and similar AC. From there, your speed makes for a resilient skirmisher and you can use Ancestors to support your party. Once you reach mid-levels, you can take on main frontliner as your AC, Resistances, and Spirits can take a lot.

Nidgit
2019-09-06, 04:51 PM
Character

Name Nareval Therendis

Title/Label/Build Name Revenant Barbarian

Wood Elf Ancestral Barbarian 12

Stat array Assuming standard PB, 15 15 15 8 13 8 after racials.

Backstory: Raised to honor the deeds of his ancestors, Nareval trained to wield the Revenant Double Scimitar, their most honored weapon. Through a deeper connection to the blade, he can summon forth his ancestors in battle.

Defining features Level 4 Revenant Blade, Level 8 Resilient Wisdom, Level 12 +1 Dex/Con to round off odd stats, then max Strength from there. BA Attack and good Unarmored AC from Feats.

Theme Levels 1-3 will be a standard Barbarian, probably Sword/Shield to survive. At 4, Revenant Blade gives a BA attack and similar AC. From there, your speed makes for a resilient skirmisher and you can use Ancestors to support your party. Once you reach mid-levels, you can take on main frontliner as your AC, Resistances, and Spirits can take a lot.

Review

What I like: The concept of a skirmisher Barbarian is odd and a bit counterintuitive but this build makes it work. Wood Elf is a neat choice and allows for a unique weapon for Barbarians.

What I don't like: The theming doesn't feel very clear and it seems like it takes a long time to get really going. A Barbarian that doesn't tank much until midlevels could irritate the party.

What I might tweak: You'd get more mileage out of medium armor and the Mobile feat than investing in Dex and going unarmored. I'd lower Dex to 14 and up Wis to 14 after racials and go Strength+1/Con+1 at Level 8, then Mobile at 12.

7/10 Style
8.5/10 Originality

Character

Title/Label/Build Name Herald of the Storm

Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer 8/Hexblade 2

Stat array: 8 14 15 10 12 17 after racials

Defining features Mixing Thunderwave and Thunderstep with Storm Sorcerer Level 1 and 6 abilities to function as a skirmishing gish. Hexblade provides added durability and SADness. Cha/Con +1 at 4, Warcaster at 8 (10).

Theme: Inspired by the Nameless King from Dark Souls 3, the idea is to zip in and out of combat to hit enemies with close-range AoEs. Spells like Shield, Booming Blade, and Armor of Agathys boost your effectiveness whenever you end up in melee. Fly is a useful boost for much better mobility to aid your allies, and Mobile is a target feat at the next ASI. Bonus points for using a shield and spear.

sithlordnergal
2019-09-06, 06:54 PM
Review

Character

Title/Label/Build Name Herald of the Storm

Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer 8/Hexblade 2

Stat array: 8 14 15 10 12 17 after racials

Defining features Mixing Thunderwave and Thunderstep with Storm Sorcerer Level 1 and 6 abilities to function as a skirmishing gish. Hexblade provides added durability and SADness. Cha/Con +1 at 4, Warcaster at 8 (10).

Theme: Inspired by the Nameless King from Dark Souls 3, the idea is to zip in and out of combat to hit enemies with close-range AoEs. Spells like Shield, Booming Blade, and Armor of Agathys boost your effectiveness whenever you end up in melee. Fly is a useful boost for much better mobility to aid your allies, and Mobile is a target feat at the next ASI. Bonus points for using a shield and spear.

Review

What I Like I like the SADDness of the build, that mixed with Thunderwave and Thunderstep with Hexblade make for a fine Sorcerer. Warcaster is also a boon, as always, plus the Dark Souls theme is pretty cool. All in all, a fine, quality build that seems like it'd be really fun to play

What I Don't Like The only real downside is the reliance on Thunder damage spells due to Storm Sorcerer's abilities. Also, this is kind of another standard Sorlock build...its still fun and cool though

What I'd Tweak I honestly can't think of anything that I'd tweak...Its a pretty solid build.

9/10 Style I love the idea of a striker flying around during combat, blasting things with sound.

6/10 Originality While the idea is fun, its also a bit of a standard Sorlock build that works to the So

---------------------

Character

Title/Label/Build Name: The Fey Knight

Race: Half Elf

Classes: Paladin: Oath of the Ancients, 8 / Druid: Circle of Dreams, 4

Stat array:

Str: 15
Dex: 9
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 13

Dex: 10
Wis: 18
Cha: 14

ASIs: ASI 1: Wis +2, ASI 2: Polearm Mastery, ASI 3: Dex +1 Cha +1

Backstory: This Paladin grew up in the jungles and wilderness, away from civilization. They learned about the ways of becoming a Druid thanks to one of their family members, and hoped to use their knowledge to help defend their home from the dangers of the wilderness. However, a Paladin eventually came to their village, and offered to train them. They accepted and eventually learned the ways of being a Paladin, while never fully forgetting their Druidic roots. They now combine their skills to become a true Fey Knight, a Defender of the Forests.

Defining features:

Some decent non-magical healing, such as Lay on Hands for 40hp and 4d6 Balm of the Summer Court, access to Druid spells for battlefield control purposes, Pole Arm Mastery and Shillelagh for instant magical quarterstaff, Smites, higher HP then a Soradin, +3 to all saves, resistant to magical damage, utility Wild Shapes, plenty of Smite slots. It is also AL legal, so that's pretty cool

Theme: So, I actually built this from one of my own builds that I have. They were from Chult, and were training to become a Druid like their father. However, they ran into a Paladin of mine, who took her under his wing and trained her. She became an Oath of the Ancients Paladin, and got back in touch with her more Druidic side.

TyGuy
2019-09-10, 03:50 PM
[B]Character

Title/Label/Build Name: The Fey Knight

Race: Half Elf

Classes: Paladin: Oath of the Ancients, 8 / Druid: Circle of Dreams, 4

Stat array:

Dex: 9
Wis: 16
Cha: 13

Dex: 10
Wis: 18
Cha: 14

ASIs: ASI 1: Wis +2, ASI 2: Polearm Mastery, ASI 3: Dex +1 Cha +1

Backstory: This Paladin grew up in the jungles and wilderness, away from civilization. They learned about the ways of becoming a Druid thanks to one of their family members, and hoped to use their knowledge to help defend their home from the dangers of the wilderness. However, a Paladin eventually came to their village, and offered to train them. They accepted and eventually learned the ways of being a Paladin, while never fully forgetting their Druidic roots. They now combine their skills to become a true Fey Knight, a Defender of the Forests.

Defining features:

Some decent non-magical healing, such as Lay on Hands for 40hp and 4d6 Balm of the Summer Court, access to Druid spells for battlefield control purposes, Pole Arm Mastery and Shillelagh for instant magical quarterstaff, Smites, higher HP then a Soradin, +3 to all saves, resistant to magical damage, utility Wild Shapes, plenty of Smite slots. It is also AL legal, so that's pretty cool

Theme: So, I actually built this from one of my own builds that I have. They were from Chult, and were training to become a Druid like their father. However, they ran into a Paladin of mine, who took her under his wing and trained her. She became an Oath of the Ancients Paladin, and got back in touch with her more Druidic side.
Review

What I Like: I like the nature-knight theme and that you deviated from the standard charisma caster dips.
What I Don't Like: That shillelagh polearm master is creeping into cheese building. However, if anyone's going to kick ass with a stick other than a monk, it's a nature knight.
What I'd Tweak: Instead of similar but unrelated diverging paths I personally would just call all of the multiclassing part of the Fey Knight training if I played this character. I.e. one school instead of two.

8.5/10 Style I'm a sucker for themed "knights" and I like they fey/nature vibe. Adding some utility wild-shape helps make this knight stand out.
7/10 Originality Nature-knights aren't uncommon, but your class combo is.

Character

Twilight Argonaut
Sea Elf, Sword Bard 12

Backstory: The warm waters of the Twilight Archipelago are bathed in perpetual starry night and twilight. Home to a hermit nation of mariner elves who spend their youth learning the ways of the sea and fey magics of their realm. Often, adventurous members venture away from their islands to become Twilight Argonauts, in search of rich experiences to bring back home when they settle down with their kin.

Defining features: Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire, Steel Wind Strike, Blade Flourish. Basically anything that can be flavored as sea bioluminescence when healing, buffing, debuffing. With a little spell selection to support the ability for the swashbuckling gish to blip around and stay extra mobile.

Theme: As bright and colorful as the vivid twilight "days" of their home, Twilight Argonauts have a tendency to dress in the color palette of a brilliant sky. They typically fight with a rapier and flamboyance to match. Their magics have the visually stunning colors and glow of the bioluminescence created by flora and fauna from their realm.
The Twilight Argonaut will flit around the battlefield while supporting allies with words of encouragement & healing magics; and punishing enemies with swift sword strikes and debilitating magic effects.

Nidgit
2019-09-10, 06:00 PM
Character

Twilight Argonaut
Sea Elf, Sword Bard 12

Backstory: The warm waters of the Twilight Archipelago are bathed in perpetual starry night and twilight. Home to a hermit nation of mariner elves who spend their youth learning the ways of the sea and fey magics of their realm. Often, adventurous members venture away from their islands to become Twilight Argonauts, in search of rich experiences to bring back home when they settle down with their kin.

Defining features: Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire, Steel Wind Strike, Blade Flourish. Basically anything that can be flavored as sea bioluminescence when healing, buffing, debuffing. With a little spell selection to support the ability for the swashbuckling gish to blip around and stay extra mobile.

Theme: As bright and colorful as the vivid twilight "days" of their home, Twilight Argonauts have a tendency to dress in the color palette of a brilliant sky. They typically fight with a rapier and flamboyance to match. Their magics have the visually stunning colors and glow of the bioluminescence created by flora and fauna from their realm.
The Twilight Argonaut will flit around the battlefield while supporting allies with words of encouragement & healing magics; and punishing enemies with swift sword strikes and debilitating magic effects.

Review

What I Like: Nice use of Sea Elves to create a fun and engaging spin on storytelling sailors.

What I Don't Like: All the flavor is in the RP/backstory; the character as a fighter is pretty much a standard Swords Bard. It could be a fun character but it's not a particularly interesting build.

What I'd Tweak: A dip into something like Archfey Warlock, Paladin (Ancients, if you get there), or Ranger would help make the character a lot more unique and potentially add some useful abilities.

Style: 6/10
Originality: 3/10

Character

Shadow Clone
Ghostwise Halfling, Shadow Monk 9/Trickery Cleric 3

Backstory: The premier scouts and infiltrators of the Chondalwood, the members of the Order of the Passing Shadow work to defend their people's interests by spying on neighbors and intruders alike. Newer acolytes pose as wayward urchins to disarm strangers while senior masters lead unwanted trespassers in circles, chasing the wind.

Defining features: Finding inventive ways to mix Darkness and teleportation with Trickery's Channel Divinity. Mirror Image and Bless add fun in combat while Disguise Self, Charm Person, and Ghostwise's telepathy help your deceptions.

Theme: A tricksy ninja carefully studying the world while giving out nothing. Beguile your enemies and lead them into traps, or help your allies pass easily into the heart of your foes' base. Invaluable for your annual haunted house. Where'd that child running down that hallway go? Or was she even there at all?

Or just be Naruto.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-10, 08:44 PM
Based on a friend's Barbarian

Name Thonk

Title/Label/Build Name: The Sage Named Thonk. No, no, no... Not "Thonk" it's "A Sage Named Thonk", you say all of it together.

Race (with subrace), Class(es) (with subclasses): Half-Orc Barbarian Zealot 12 (refluff zealot to be arcane)

Stat array (very optional): Str: 16, Dex: 12, Con: 14, Int: 16 (+2 from feats), Wis: 12, Cha: 8

Arcana Check at level 8 is + 6 (prof) + 2 Int = +8. If an elf has max Int at level 8... Their bonus would be +3 prof + 5 Int = +8.

At level 12... 8 prof + 3 int = +11 Arcana Check, suck it Elves.

Backstory: As a child, A Sage Named Thonk was made fun of by an elf for being a stupid orc child and never being able to think on a "higher level"... A Sage Named Thonk decided to dedicate his free time to the mystic arts.

Defining features: A sage named thonk is the thinkiest of all that have ever thonked.

Level 4: Prodigy (Investigation, Thieves Tools, and double Arcana checks). A Sage Named Thonk's dissertation on the laws of magicdynamics has passed, he also had time to take up a hobby... Lock picking. He became better at investigating due to going over his dissertation with a fine comb.

Level 8: Observant. A sage named thonk no let anything get passed me.

Level 12: Resilient (Int): +1 Int and prof to int saves means that A Sage Named Thonk's Brain is safe.

(Side note: next ASI will go into Str)

Theme Optimize the whole character and not just one part.

~~~~

Review (got deleted on accident when I edited the post... Redoing it)

Character

Shadow Clone
Ghostwise Halfling, Shadow Monk 9/Trickery Cleric 3

Backstory: The premier scouts and infiltrators of the Chondalwood, the members of the Order of the Passing Shadow work to defend their people's interests by spying on neighbors and intruders alike. Newer acolytes pose as wayward urchins to disarm strangers while senior masters lead unwanted trespassers in circles, chasing the wind.

Defining features: Finding inventive ways to mix Darkness and teleportation with Trickery's Channel Divinity. Mirror Image and Bless add fun in combat while Disguise Self, Charm Person, and Ghostwise's telepathy help your deceptions.

Theme: A tricksy ninja carefully studying the world while giving out nothing. Beguile your enemies and lead them into traps, or help your allies pass easily into the heart of your foes' base. Invaluable for your annual haunted house. Where'd that child running down that hallway go? Or was she even there at all?

Or just be Naruto.

With the wrong DM this will be utter chaos. :smallfurious:

With the right DM thus will be utter chaos. :smallcool:

You can do a few things pretty dang well and you're going to be top notch at your speciality. The biggest problem with stealth is that you normally have to go alone or be held back by your party... But the cleric (trickery) takes care of that. You're not just a character, but a party member.

Makes me want to say "believe it" but it's better than Naruto so I give this a "really good Naruto fanfiction/10".