PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rules Question on Time Stop

Jack Bitters
2019-09-06, 08:59 PM
Regarding Time Stop, it says that the spell ends if "one of the Actions you use during this period, or any Effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you."

So my question is fundamentally, if you've caused this condition, e.g. ended the Time Stop spell by taking an Action affecting another creature, 1) does your action take place? and 2) do you get the rest of your turn granted to you by the Time Stop spell?

For example, say you're a Sorcerer with the Quicken Metamagic. First, you cast the Fire Bolt cantrip with your action as normal, and then you cast a Quickened Time Stop. On your subsequent time-frozen turn, you cast 1) another Fire Bolt, followed by 2) a Quickened Fireball as a bonus action. Does your second Fire Bolt go through? Do you have access to another bonus action to cast Fireball? Or does your turn just end as soon as Time Stop ends?

Dork_Forge
2019-09-06, 09:38 PM
Regarding Time Stop, it says that the spell ends if "one of the Actions you use during this period, or any Effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you."

So my question is fundamentally, if you've caused this condition, e.g. ended the Time Stop spell by taking an Action affecting another creature, 1) does your action take place? and 2) do you get the rest of your turn granted to you by the Time Stop spell?

For example, say you're a Sorcerer with the Quicken Metamagic. First, you cast the Fire Bolt cantrip with your action as normal, and then you cast a Quickened Time Stop. On your subsequent time-frozen turn, you cast 1) another Fire Bolt, followed by 2) a Quickened Fireball as a bonus action. Does your second Fire Bolt go through? Do you have access to another bonus action to cast Fireball? Or does your turn just end as soon as Time Stop ends?

I'd say that it ends as soon as you effect someone else, so you wouldn't get that bonus.

Time stop is best used to layer buffs on yourself with a delayed blast fireball cast on your first extra turn to detonate at the end of the spell. Otherwise you can use it to get out of dodge if something goes bad quickly.

Erys
2019-09-06, 09:59 PM

As I understand it: Time Stop gives you extra turns, therefore you get extra bonus actions (one per turn, max). BUT, the second you affect something that is not you the spell ends.

So, per your example: The second Fire Bolt connects with the enemy and ends Time Stop, thus preventing you from casting the bonus action Fireball. Now in the example the mage has never moved, so when the Time Stop 'bonus turns' end you would still be able to use your move before finishing your turn.