PDA

View Full Version : So... What do you do during long casting times?

Maxiboy
2019-09-06, 09:21 PM
This goes for the caster, and for the rest of the party.

I have been thinking about preparing the Prayer of Healing spell, but secretly part of me is a bit anxious about casting it - it takes 10 minutes, and I'm not sure if I'd just be keeping the party waiting, or if they would interact/RP during it like we do with shorter spells - would I just make it awkward by taking up time? Maybe the DM would just do a time-skip to when it has be cast, but it made me curious about rituals and spells that take even longer.

In your game, does everyone just sit around during a spell that takes longer than an action to cast? Do you still carry on playing during casting times that can take hours or does the DM just cut to the end of it?

Edit: I should have mentioned, while our party is really into RPing, its mostly humorous and everyone is always on the move. We never really have any 'filler' as much as other games I guess you could say, and I'm concerned that spells that take me long to cast may break pacing?

RickAllison
2019-09-06, 09:30 PM
That seems like a great time for someone to pull out some ritual spells or non-casters to search the area.

Danielqueue1
2019-09-06, 11:38 PM
Put that gaming set proficiency to good use. Let the rogue scout. Break out lunch and take a short rest.

NNescio
2019-09-06, 11:55 PM

I have been thinking about preparing the Prayer of Healing spell, but secretly part of me is a bit anxious about casting it - it takes 10 minutes, and I'm not sure if I'd just be keeping the party waiting, or if they would interact/RP during it like we do with shorter spells - would I just make it awkward by taking up time? Maybe the DM would just do a time-skip to when it has be cast, but it made me curious about rituals and spells that take even longer.

In your game, does everyone just sit around during a spell that takes longer than an action to cast? Do you still carry on playing during casting times that can take hours or does the DM just cut to the end of it?

You can move while casting a spell (with casting time > 1 action). You just need to spend an Action each turn to continue casting. Only issue is that it takes up concentration (even if the spell duration doesn't require conc.) and might complicate stealth attempts (for spells with verbal components).

(And of course, if you get interrupted [i.e. unable or unwilling to take the action to continue casting], you'll have to start all over again. But you don't lose the spell slot.)

On my table players just continue exploring while casting unless it's impractical to do so.

BW022
2019-09-07, 09:11 AM
My character is typically using the spell when...

Short Rests Other characters are resting, or searching, sorting treasure, detecting/identifying magic, on guard duty, etc. If we wait an hour and ten minutes, my character will rest, otherwise, I'll spend the other 50 minutes typically doing mundane things such as caring for horses, guard duty, detecting magic, etc.

After a Battle We are a bit rushed and can't short rest but low on hit points. We'll typically top up with a few other spells from other healers, potions, scrolls, etc. Typically others are preparing to looting, repacking, breaking camp, getting horses ready for travel, etc.

Aiding NPCs After a minor battle involving NPCs, mounts, etc. Since it affects mulitple people, I find it tops up any minor party injuries plus lots of people we wouldn't want to waste three or four other spell slots with. In a city, traders attacked on a road, village attacked, etc. you typically aren't rushed for time. Others can again be looting, looking for tracks, tending animals, etc.

Before Bed Yes, everyone will probably heal over with a long rest, but... since you will probably get the spell slot back anyway... I cast it as insurance against being attacked at night. If you are attacked, better you use the spell slot now so you aren't panicked for healing if an encounter starts when folks are resting/sleeping.

firelistener
2019-09-07, 10:38 AM
We usually just skip forward in time with a short description unless someone explicitly says they want to do something during the casting time. For example, I had my totem barbarian sit on the ground with a candle strapped to his head and meditate while ritual casting Speak with Animals. The ranger told the DM that she wanted to sneak forward and double-check the number of scorpions ahead of us, but everyone else was content to chill. We role-played her segment for a minute or two and then when she was done we just skipped forward the remainder of the casting time.

ChildofLuthic
2019-09-07, 11:00 AM
I'm confused. As a DM, if someone has a ritual like this, I'll ask the other players what their characters do (to which they usually say "keep guard" or "watch with wonder" or some other flavorful way of saying "nothing") and then we skip to when it's done. Sometimes I'll roll on a table to see if a monster interrupts them. Do you think your table would have a problem doing that?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-09-07, 11:16 AM
I'm confused. As a DM, if someone has a ritual like this, I'll ask the other players what their characters do (to which they usually say "keep guard" or "watch with wonder" or some other flavorful way of saying "nothing") and then we skip to when it's done. Sometimes I'll roll on a table to see if a monster interrupts them. Do you think your table would have a problem doing that?

Ditto.

10 minutes isn't THAT long out in the open road or something.

10 minutes in an enemy fortress you are raiding and bad guys might come get you.

Tetrasodium
2019-09-07, 11:33 AM
We usually just skip forward in time with a short description unless someone explicitly says they want to do something during the casting time. For example, I had my totem barbarian sit on the ground with a candle strapped to his head and meditate while ritual casting Speak with Animals. The ranger told the DM that she wanted to sneak forward and double-check the number of scorpions ahead of us, but everyone else was content to chill. We role-played her segment for a minute or two and then when she was done we just skipped forward the remainder of the casting time.

That's always been my experience as both player & GM. If there's no interruption it's just a timeskip unless someone says "while he's doing that I want to x" or it started with "while they are doing that, I want to cast Y"

Tanarii
2019-09-07, 11:47 AM
When a PC IMC casts Prayer of healing, the other PCs typically are looting bodies or searching the area.

Maxiboy
2019-09-07, 12:18 PM

I should have mentioned, while our party is really into RPing, its mostly humorous and everyone is always on the move. We never really have any 'filler' as much as other games I guess you could say, and I'm concerned that spells that take me long to cast may break pacing?

Also I had the idea that when casting a spell it required the caster's full attention, I didn't know you could move or still communicate while still casting. (Thank you all for the replies c: )

Keravath
2019-09-08, 02:47 PM
Casting a spell requiring more than one round requires that you use your action on each round to cast the spell and uses your concentration.

RAW, you can move (not dash, hide, disengage etc ... unless via a bonus action), you can use free object interactions, you can also talk or interact with other creatures and NPCs as long as it doesn't use your action.

I've ritually cast detect magic for example while we continued with the dungeon exploration. Another character also had the spell so we kept it up continuously by alternating casting it as a ritual.

In many cases however, if the party wants the spell to be cast for a specific reason then usually the party stops with some characters standing watch while the character finishes casting the spell. This pause while the party waits is usually just passed over quickly if nothing significant happens during the time frame.

Vorpalchicken
2019-09-08, 04:56 PM
You only need one free hand to cast...

LudicSavant
2019-09-08, 05:21 PM

I have been thinking about preparing the Prayer of Healing spell, but secretly part of me is a bit anxious about casting it - it takes 10 minutes, and I'm not sure if I'd just be keeping the party waiting, or if they would interact/RP during it like we do with shorter spells I sometimes go into detail about the flavorful, ritualistic performance of the Prayer of Healing itself. Makes for fun roleplaying. Can even make it interactive with the rest of the party through a variety of means. Just be creative and compelling. Or you can just have the party fast forward through the time; it doesn't necessarily (or even usually) take 10 out of game minutes.

You also can keep traveling and such while you're casting rituals and the like. Remember: Long casting times take up your Action every round, but not your movement. There's also little risk to doing this; if the cast time is interrupted (such as by a new combat starting as you explore), you don't lose the spell. This is all detailed on page 202 of the general spell rules.

HappyDaze
2019-09-08, 11:42 PM
10 minutes is a great time for characters to:

Grab a snack and drink.
Quick clean self & gear (or do you want to be covered in mud & blood).
Take a bathroom break.
Repack some of your gear to balance out loads.
Get that annoying pebble out of your boot.
Shave your face.
Feed your animal(s).
100s of other things that don't have game mechanics.

Really, who doesn't have something to spend 10 minutes on?