PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Tank build help!

Immotalis
2019-09-07, 02:34 AM
To start I have played a Mystic before but as a caster/support type. I know they are broken and most people hate them. This is my first time playing a melee class and being tank. I know that Barbarians and Fighters are clearly built around it. I want to try and play tank that is competitive enough within the confines of the Mystic. I will be starting at level 1.

Race:
Feats:
Point Distribution:
Talents:
Disciplines:
Items:

Any input on how to pull this off please respond. I know for a fact I am going to need a build style around Order of the Immortal.

Dork_Forge
2019-09-07, 07:04 AM
To start I have played a Mystic before but as a caster/support type. I know they are broken and most people hate them. This is my first time playing a melee class and being tank. I know that Barbarians and Fighters are clearly built around it. I want to try and play tank that is competitive enough within the confines of the Mystic. I will be starting at level 1.

Race:
Feats:
Point Distribution:
Talents:
Disciplines:
Items:

Any input on how to pull this off please respond. I know for a fact I am going to need a build style around Order of the Immortal.

Race: V. Human (+1s in Int and Dex)
Feats: At level 1- Tough
Point Distribution: If you're okay dumping two stats then: 8 15 14 15 10 8
Talents: Energy Beam
Disciplines: Bestial Form (adapt to situations, non conc BA AC boost), Psionic Restoration, Mastery of Wood and Earth (focus +1 to AC)
Items: Daggers, if magic item advice wanted then please say so

At first level: 13hp, 16 AC (18 in combat with BF)

This build really comes into its own when you hit 3rd level and gain access to Psionic Resilience and Mystical recovery, allowing you to shrug off a decent amount of damage every turn with your big ol' pool of hp (gaining +10hp per level). I played this character in a campaign that went to 7th level and I was the only character that didn't go down (or even come that close whilst still being in the fray) and had access to a lot of utility for the party and respectable damage.

Immotalis
2019-09-07, 08:35 PM
Disciplines: Bestial Form (adapt to situations, non conc BA AC boost), Psionic Restoration, Mastery of Wood and Earth (focus +1 to AC)

This build really comes into its own when you hit 3rd level and gain access to Psionic Resilience and Mystical recovery, allowing you to shrug off a decent amount of damage every turn with your big ol' pool of hp (gaining +10hp per level). I played this character in a campaign that went to 7th level and I was the only character that didn't go down (or even come that close whilst still being in the fray) and had access to a lot of utility for the party and respectable damage.

Thank you! I would love to see your opinion on magical items! :)

Dork_Forge
2019-09-08, 07:23 AM
Thank you! I would love to see your opinion on magical items! :)

If there's a caster in your group then a ring of spell storing will augment your psionics nicely, ask your DM if you can have a psionic equivalent of the pearl of power (RAW a slot up to 3rd, so up to 5 psi points), you qualify for Bracers of Defense (and a ring/cloak of defense would be useful). An amulet of health would do double duty, raising both your Con and your AC and a magic dagger (you don't have the proficiency for anything else).

A rule of thumb is, if it will save your psi points, raise your AC or restore hp you want it.

carrdrivesyou
2019-09-08, 01:13 PM

This is solid advice. At 3rd level, grab mastery of ice. 3pp grabs you 20tHP with no concentration or time limit.

Dork_Forge
2019-09-08, 01:18 PM
This is solid advice. At 3rd level, grab mastery of ice. 3pp grabs you 20tHP with no concentration or time limit.

Thanks! What other disciplines do you like? I kept finding myself drawn to the Mastery ones (though not the Wu Jen itself), Wood and Earth can lead to some insane situations.

Immotalis
2019-09-08, 05:38 PM
Thanks! What other disciplines do you like? I kept finding myself drawn to the Mastery ones (though not the Wu Jen itself), Wood and Earth can lead to some insane situations.

Our campaigns generally last till like level 14 or 15 tops. So trying to grab a lot of things is tough.

Dork_Forge
2019-09-08, 05:47 PM
Our campaigns generally last till like level 14 or 15 tops. So trying to grab a lot of things is tough.

Discipline wise you don't need much, Psionic Restoration and Bestial Form cover a lot of your bases and you still have plenty of disciplines left over. It's a lot harder when trying to play a caster type than a tank like you are aiming for right now. Have you considered what role you want to play in the party and what type of damage you want to do?