PDA

View Full Version : Two newbs joining at lvl6, DM looking for tutorial/shakedown encounter ideas for them

rahimka
2019-09-07, 07:30 AM
Hello hivemind, I'm looking for some encounter ideas and/or advice

I've got two newb players joining the game I DM and I'm helping them put together lvl6 characters (I've recommended Paladin and Ranger to them) to match the current party level. They've each only played once or twice, and that was 1st lvl, so after guiding them through character creation, I'd like to give them a sort of "shakedown" encounter (probably flavored as a colosseum match) so they can get a sense of their mechanics in action and whet their appetite for more

What are some ideas for an interesting and challenging encounter for a pair of lvl6 characters?

Feddlefew
2019-09-07, 07:56 AM
Maybe a hobgoblin captain and 2 bugbears? Have some goblins come in at the end of round 2 if your player are destroying the encounter. You might need to boost HP on the captain by 20-30%- a 6th level paladin can easily deal 20-30 damage in a round.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-09-07, 11:20 AM
Thats a great idea. Sometimes I like it when newbs sit by the "encumberance tracker" of the group. In this case, one on each side ao Mr Encumberance can help them mark off spell slots or whatever.

Also read up a bit on their abilities yourself. Maybe sneak it into the obligatory intro to the rest of the party when the others are asking if the newbs will be useful.

stoutstien
2019-09-07, 11:33 AM
Hello hivemind, I'm looking for some encounter ideas and/or advice

I've got two newb players joining the game I DM and I'm helping them put together lvl6 characters (I've recommended Paladin and Ranger to them) to match the current party level. They've each only played once or twice, and that was 1st lvl, so after guiding them through character creation, I'd like to give them a sort of "shakedown" encounter (probably flavored as a colosseum match) so they can get a sense of their mechanics in action and whet their appetite for more

What are some ideas for an interesting and challenging encounter for a pair of lvl6 characters?

Give each of them a dancing partner to show case there class strong point.
The pally can take on one big mean tough opponent where the ranger can have a small pack of weaker foes.

So for the pally can face off with an ogre chain brute and the ranger can have mob of lower cr to take down. 3-4 goblins and one goblin boss.

Role of into a fight that combines them and they can play off each other's strengths
A couple of Ogre howdahs with goblin archers.

Make sure the combat area has terrain/cover/environment elements both sides can use.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-07, 03:16 PM
Whatever opposes the paladin oath and whatever is the rangers favored enemy.