PDA

View Full Version : [base class] Shadow Walker

Spectre3541
2007-10-14, 01:40 AM
OK, so this is my first attempt at designing a class. I'm pretty new to the forums, but I have been incredibly impressed with them. These have been, by far, the friendliest and most open forums I have ever been a part of. Here, goes. Let me know what you think.

The Shadow Walker

Touched with darkness from the Plane of Shadow, they hide in the darkness, emerging to strike a deadly blow and then fade into nothingness, that is the way of the Shadow Walker. Feared assassins known for their efficiency. Many have risen through the ranks of various thieves guilds to become leaders.

Abilities: Wisdom drives the Shadow Walker's abilities and allows him to use his most deadly ones more times per day. It also boosts his Will save in order to overcome the Shadow Curse. Dexterity gives him AC, since the Shadow Walker cannot wear heavier than light armor.

Role: The Shadow Walker fills a unique spot in the party. They don't have the skills of a rogue, but their Shadow Affinity ability makes them excellent scouts. At later levels, the Shadow Curse that they bestow can bring low the greatest of foes. Having sneak attack makes them excellent secondary combatants as long as there is someone else to provide flanking.

Background: Since they are touched at birth by the Plane of Shadow, ost Shadow Walkers are singled out at a young age as different. They tend to be introverted and stay away from groups and avoid bright lights and wide open spaces. Many leave home early and join a group of street toughs who can distract opponents long enough for the Shadow Walker to eliminate them. Inevitably, they rise to control these groups, becoming the de facto leader of their crew. However, they usually maintain no close attachment to anyone and have been known to willingly turn on their "friends" when it is most advantageous. A small number of older Shadow Walkers have turned to law enforcement to try to right the wrongs they committed earlier in life.

Organization: None. Since each Shadow Walker is a unique case that makes his own decisions. There is no "brotherhood" to which they are required to belong, a Shadow Walker is their own person.

Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil. The very nature of the shadows which the Shadow Walker lives in are chaotic so they find it difficult if not impossible to maintain Lawful behavior for very long. Likewise, they are self-serving and maintain an uncaring attitude towards others. Some Shadow Walkers are Chaotic Good, usually taking an urban area an protecting the citizens therein. These cases are extremely rare.

Races: A Shadow Walker can be any race. The random chance that creates them does not discriminate between races.

Religion: They usually do not revere any deity, generally seeing religion as a crutch for the weak-minded.

Other Classes: Shadow Walkers get along well with any class which can prove its worth. They have no tolerance for failure or weakness. The tend to have great respect for rogues and spelltheives, seeing them almost as kinsmen.

Hit Die: d6

Class Features

Skills: Balance, Bluff, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble

Skill Points at First Level: (6+Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at every level: 6+Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Shadow Walkers are proficient with all simple weapons as well as all light martial weapons. They are proficient with light armor.

Shadow Walker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Sneak Attack +1d6, Shadow Affinity, Shadow Curse

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Evasion

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +2d6, Shadow Curse

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Hide in Plain Sight

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Sneak Attack +3d6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Darkvision 60 ft.

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +4d6

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Pierce the Shadows

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +5d6

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved Evasion

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Sneak Attack +6d6, Shadow Step

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Call the Shadows

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Sneak Attack +7d6

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Veil of Shadow

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Sneak Attack +8d6

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Bestow Shadow Curse 3/day, Greater Pierce the Shadows

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Sneak Attack +9d6

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Touch of Shadow

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Sneak Attack +10d6

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Child of the Shadows[/table]

Sneak Attack: Functions as the rogue ability. Anytime an opponent is denied their dexterity bonus or flanked, a Shadow walker deals an extra 1d6 of damage. This damage increases as the Shadow Walker goes up in level.

Shadow Affinity (Ex): Due to their close tie to the Plane of Shadow, a Shadow Walker gains a bonus on all Hide and Move Silently checks equal to 1/2 his class level rounded up (minimum +1). A Shadow Walker does not gain the benefits of this ability if they are wearing anything more than light armor.

Shadow Curse(Su): Although they are given great power through their connection to the shadows, Shadow Walkers pay a terrible price. They are afflicted by the Shadow Curse. Any time a Shadow Walker is stunned, dazed or unconscious they must make a Will save (DC 10+ 1/2 class level) or lose a part of their soul to the shadows. While afflicted, the Shadow Walker gains one negative level that cannot be removed by any means until their soul is again complete. If another instance arises in which the Shadow Walker must make another Will save, the negative levels stack. A Shadow Walker cannot be reduced to 0 levels by this effect. If a Shadow Walker would be reduced to 0 levels by this effect, he is only tremulously attached to the mortal world. This causes him to lose all class abilities and takes a -6 on all saves until his soul is whole. However, a Shadow Walker in this condition receives a +6 on Intimidate checks to frighten people. In order to retrieve the part or parts of their soul, a Shadow Walker must seek out the being that caused their soul to be torn and either kill them or subject them to an ordeal which leaves them Panicked.

Evasion (ex): Whenever a Shadow Walker makes a Reflex save that allows half damage, they instead take no damage.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): As he slowly becomes infused with shadow, a Shadow Walker can hide in any situation, seeming to disappear into his own shadow. He can use the Hide skill while being observed as long as he is not in direct sunlight.

Darkvision (Ex): A Shadow Walker gains darkvision out to 60 feet.

Pierce the Shadows (Su): As a free action, a Shadow Walker can activate this ability allowing him to see through any magical darkness. This ability is usable a number of rounds per day equal to a Shadow Walker's class level.

Improved Evasion: When a Shadow Walker fails a Reflex save that would usually allow for half damage on a successful save, they still take only half damage. They still take no damage on a successful save.

Shadow Step (Su): As a free action a Shadow Walker can step between shadows. The entry and exit points may not be farther apart than 10 ft per lvl of the Shadow Walker. A Shadow Walker may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Call the Shadows (Su): Three times per day, as a standard action, a Shadow Walker may create a cloud of clinging shadows centered on himself with a radius of 20 feet. All enemies within this cloud take a -2 to AC, attack rolls and saves. The cloud lasts for one round per point of Wisdom modifier.

Veil of Shadow (Su): A Shadow Walker can use a standard action to cloak themselves in a swirling cloak of shadows. This grants them 20% concealment as well as a +10 bonus on Hide checks. The veil lasts for 1 round/ point of Wis modifier. A Shadow Walker can use this ability 3 times per day

Bestow Shadow Curse (Su): Up to three times per day a Shadow Walker may bestow the shadow curse on an opponent. They must succeed at a touch attack for this ability to function. It is exactly like the shadow curse described in the Shadow Walker entry except that this can be removed completely with a Wish, Miracle or Greater Restoration Spell. The save against being cursed is Will DC = 10+ 1/2 Shadow Walker's class level+Wis modifier.

Greater Pierce the Shadows (ex): By level 16, a Shadow Walker is so in tune with the darkness that his Pierce the Shadows ability is always active.

Touch of Shadow (Su): Four times per day when a Shadow Walker delivers a successful sneak attack, he can activate this ability. When used, the total damage dealt to the target is divided in half, but the target immediately begins a slow transformation into shadow-stuff. Every round, the target takes 1d6 of Strength and Wisdom damage as their body is consumed by shadow. Once they reach zero in either stat, they die. Unless they are raised from the dead within 1d10 minutes, their body dissolves into nothingness and becomes a Shadow (see Monster Manual p. 221) or Greater Shadow based on their HD. At this point, only a True Resurrection, Wish or Miracle spell can bring the target back to life. Every round after they are struck, the target may make a Fortitude save DC 10+ 1/2 Shadow Walker's class level + Wis modifier. While their body is wasting away, the target takes a -4 to all attacks and saves and is considered Exhausted. These conditions cease immediately on a successful save.

Child of the Shadows (ex): Upon reaching 20th level, a Shadow Walker is truly one with the darkness. He is constantly surrounded by a 20 foot radius aura of dimness and all creatures must make a Will save DC 10 + Wis modifier or be shaken for the duration of the encounter. As a move action, the Shadow Walker can put out any non-magical lights within this radius. The Shadow Walker gains a touch attack that drains 1d4 levels. This functions as the spell Enervation at a caster level equal to 1/2 the Shadow Walker's class level. This is usable 2 times per day.

EDIT: fixed save DC's and made the class generally less dependent on Wisdom. I think it's an improvement. Seems more balanced. Any more suggestions?

Whew. There it is. I really hope it meets with approval. Let me know what you think! Enjoy

serpent615
2007-10-15, 07:55 PM
I'm assuming you got this from "Shadowbread" by Paul S. Kemp...

very nice, tho my DM would never let me run 1...:smallfrown:

one small thing...in the book, they were basicaly monks that were touched with shadow, not assasins and rougues.

but again...nice class...wana make:smallbiggrin:

Spectre3541
2007-10-15, 09:00 PM
Shadowbread? I have no idea what that book or who that author is.... this is completely my own idea.

and your DM wouldn't let you run one... why? unbalanced? overpowered? help me out here.

Pureflight
2007-10-16, 11:26 AM
i like it, but it seems pretty wisdom heavy. i think it would be easy for someone to focus on getting tomes of wis and pretty soon you've got a shadow that's stronger than the DM. :smalleek: well, almost. The draw towards wisdom focus is increased because their damage is based on sneak attack damage, so even with crappy physical stats they are still a huge threat.
Maybe make some of the features based on different abilities? Dex maybe, but i would make one or two things con-based. just as a breath attack is based on con, you could make their "shadow-based attacks" con. or use shadow curse [con mod] times per day maybe.

typically saves are 10 + 1/2 char lvl + modifier, and you have yours char lvl + modifier. specific reason why? i think the way you have it might be too strong.

Also the description of "touch of shadow" is vague. is all damage halved? or just sneak attack damage? and rather than "halved", could you sacrifice a certain number of d6? etc etc

again, these are just suggestions. maybe consider some of them and put your own adaptation to them.

olelia
2007-10-16, 06:44 PM
Shadow Curse(Su): Although they are given great power through their connection to the shadows, Shadow Walkers pay a terrible price. They are afflicted by the Shadow Curse. Any time a Shadow Walker is stunned, dazed or unconscious they must make a Will save (DC 10+ 1/2 class level) or lose a part of their soul to the shadows. While afflicted, the Shadow Walker gains one negative level that cannot be removed by any means until their soul is again complete. If another instance arises in which the Shadow Walker must make another Will save, the negative levels stack. In order to retrieve the part or parts of their soul, a Shadow Walker must seek out the being that caused their soul to be torn and either kill them or subject them to an ordeal which leaves them Panicked.
So...if the 1st level wizard dazes him at first level he instantly dies? If he fails his will save of course. :smallconfused:

Spectre3541
2007-10-16, 07:05 PM
So...if the 1st level wizard dazes him at first level he instantly dies? If he fails his will save of course. :smallconfused:

no. I don't think so..... I'm not exactly sure how the mechanics for negative levels work, but I don't think that they'd die....

Anyone know for sure on this one?

serpent615
2007-10-16, 09:02 PM
Shadowbread? I have no idea what that book or who that author is.... this is completely my own idea.

and your DM wouldn't let you run one... why? unbalanced? overpowered? help me out here.

first, i congradulate you on thinking of this class :smallbiggrin: ...and for it to be so close to the ones in the book , i honestly thought you just wrote what you thought a shadow walker would do...

Kemp is a writer for Forgotten Realms, "Shadowbread" is a book about shades and the Netherese returning to Toril

and my DM woudn't let me do it for simple lack of matereal on it...i dought he'd want to run an experamental class

Holocron Coder
2007-10-16, 09:33 PM
no. I don't think so..... I'm not exactly sure how the mechanics for negative levels work, but I don't think that they'd die....

Anyone know for sure on this one?

If you take negative levels equal to your HD, you die and raise as an undead, usually. Easy fix to that would be to move it a few levels later, so a single failed save doesn't mean death.

Spectre3541
2007-10-16, 11:57 PM
If you take negative levels equal to your HD, you die and raise as an undead, usually. Easy fix to that would be to move it a few levels later, so a single failed save doesn't mean death.

*EDIT*: done.

Thyatira3902
2007-10-17, 03:48 PM
i saw you moved the curse a few levels later... but that doesn't make sense... why would he all the sudden become cursed at lvl3 now? i would say add in the shadow curse at that lvl if you added in the bestow curse at 1/day or something. it just doesn't make sense there... yeah..

Spectre3541
2007-10-17, 04:55 PM
ok, so I addressed the negative levels problem. At first I moved the Shadow Curse to a later level, but that didn't fit with the fluff at all. So I moved it back to level 1 with the bold-ed clause. I think that works....

Pureflight
2007-10-17, 11:56 PM
good fix :smallbiggrin:

olelia
2007-10-18, 06:55 AM
Maybe it's just me but doesn't this seem to make the Shadowdancer pretty much obsolete? More shadow jumping, Hide in plain sight by 4th level, sneak attack,...heck it almost replaces the rogue efficiently.

Spectre3541
2007-10-18, 09:42 AM
Well, it should be better than the Shadowdancer since it's a 1-20 base class as opposed to a 1-10 prestige class. As for making the Rogue obsolete... there are still roles that the Shadow Walker cannot fill such as trapfinding and use magic devicing as well as social interactions. I will admit that it is a slightly more powerful alternative to the Rogue, but I'm working on balance now so any suggestions you have would be appreciated!