PDA

View Full Version : Let's Create a Renown System (that makes sense)

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-07, 11:22 AM
Alright, let's create a Renown system!

Design Goals:

Renown should matter to the player. It should encourage him to interact with the setting and go on adventures.
Increased Renown should come with increased rewards.
Renown should have a general mechanic and some specific mechanic for each faction. This adds transparency and consistancy while still making each faction unique. Renown with a cult might grant you access to forbidden spell scrolls while renown with a temple might offer a casting of a restoration spell free of cost.
These rewards need to be clear and made aware to the player beforehand, in order to encourage him to increases his Renown proactively.
A good renown mechanic can be applied to any campaign and any setting.

Overview
The players can do quests or individual missions for either Factions or independent benefactors. Whenever they do so their value increases in the eyes of that faction, meaning they will get increased rewards as they continue to rise through the ranks. As they do so their value also increases in the eyes of other factions, meaning they will pay more for their services even if it's the party's first mission for that faction.

Problem
I really need to find the best way to get this mechanic in writing, in order for me to show it to my players without it just confusing them. Can you please help me condense and clean up this next, and point out any potential problems with the mechanic that need to be fixed.

General Mechanic

Renown
When you complete a mission for a benefactor or a faction each character that participated gains Renown. The Renown you gain is decided by your DM and you have a separate Renown with each faction.

Rewards
Instead of rolling for treasure, pair the rows of the Treasure Hoard Table (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZG_06PvnpZEinvxy6Bh-q4ceDEvGWXfLE1eax54X0XY/edit?usp=sharing) from the Dungeon Master's Guide to Renown values of 1-17. The treasure you acquire for completing a mission for a faction is then determined by the highest Renown within the party for that faction.

Global Renown
Global Renown is equal to half your highest faction renown and is your starting renown for any new factions.

Rank
Your rank within a faction determines what faction-specific benefits are available to you. To increase in rank you both a certain level and a certain Renown with that faction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Example:
Kane0 and Greywander have been contacted by a group that calls themselves The Hand of of Grod. As they finish their first mission they get 1 Renown and a Leather Glove (see Glove of Grod in appendix A) as a recruitment gift. They are now Rank 1 Servants of Grod. This gives them access to the factions Rank 1 benefit.

Hand of Grod - Rank 1
A rank 1 initiate has access to various rare potions normally not sold on the market. The potions they have access to is based on their renown within the faction and can be bought at full market value:
Renown 1 - Potion of Sneezing Real Hard
Renown 5 - Potion of Balance Class
Renown 10 - Potion of Please Reply

The next time they do a mission for The Hand of Grod they gain 2 renown, to a total of 3 renown. They look up the Treasure Table and see that for 3 renown their reward is they get 2d5 25gp art objects for their troubles.

The next mission is a three session-long adventure. After the adventure they have reached level 4. They come back to The Hand of Grod and gain 9 Renown, and are told they are eligable for promotion if they keep up their good work. They're total Renown is now 12, which means they get 2d4 25gp art objects and 1d6 Items from Magic Item Table C. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkuHmBtWB)

When they reach level 5 they are contacted again and told they have reached Rank 2, which gives them access to the faction's Rank 2 benefits and the Rank 2 Treasure Table (Treasure Hoard Table CR 5-10) .

Chaos_Laicosin
2019-09-07, 01:49 PM
Its a fun idea, but isn't a character's "renown" a reflection of the character's level? i.e. You can't gain levels without accomplishing notable feats.

One issue with your system is that a party of high magic weapon wielding, reality altering magic casting, black dragon slaying, saviours of the Empire of Gargatta would be treated at half level if they were to take on a mission from a town neighbouring that Empire, just because its their first mission with a new faction.
"Oh, you defeated Frugaak the Black Dragon? The terror of the Empire of Gargatta? The beast that has been killing, stealing, and hording for generations? How quaint. Now, here's a couple scrolls of turn undead; go get that pesky necromancer that's been raising our dead!"

Renown within factions could be fun (it would likely entail a lot of bookkeeping), but global renown and assumed first encounter renown with any NPC should be a reflection of your characters' levels.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-07, 03:31 PM
Renown is in no way connected to Level. As you can see in how the Treasure Hoard CR 0-4 table is connected to Renown, you can go up to 17 Renown whilst still gaining level-appropriate rewards.

A party can be self-serving and level quite nicely without ever doing a single quest for a faction or a benefactor.

You're right, I will have to change to Global Rank system. Thanks for pointing that bit out to me.

At this time we risk Renown just becoming an alternative to level. I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Chaos_Laicosin
2019-09-07, 06:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like any idea that opens up routes for more story telling.

For a more "global" renown, perhaps if you applied alignments to any factions/benefactors then doing quests aligned with (or opposed to) a particular faction would passively gain (or lose) renown with them. For example, completing a chaotic-neutral quest for the thieves guild would gain normal renown with the thieves guild, but also passively lose renown with the Constabulary and passively gain renown with Pirates. It could also open up a more dynamic world, like if you dropped to -10 renown with the Constabulary they might send bounty hunters after you. It would give the players more to consider for the future of their characters instead of just "We'll do whatever quest gives the most loot!" It could also mean a lot more bookkeeping though.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-07, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure a mechanical approach to renown isn't going to be as clean as I hoped it to be. Each iteration I cough through I just end up reinventing Levels. A proper renown system Is gonna be based on the narratives, specific to each faction.. So I have to change to my creativeness pants and forget about creating some general mechanic for now.

Having it a tipping scale between semi opposing faction is a pretty interesting idea though